Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

which oil to use?

This is a discussion on which oil to use? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I ran RP in mine and it worked great!...

  1. #21
    Senior Member Tyler_LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canby, Oregon
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,121

    Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

    I ran RP in mine and it worked great!
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

    12.6 at 112

    http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

  2. #22
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    I might be changing over to that. Its pretty expensive from what I hear though.

  3. #23
    someday joejenkinsglass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,120

    green
    98 formula

    Quote Originally Posted by jwindbigler View Post
    Have you guys heard of redline oil? From what I hear its better than royal purple.
    yes redline is supposed to be good but I would be a little uncomfortable with it cause it says not for street use or race only and to be honest that just does not make sense to me there are others out there just seems royal purple is the one everyone has heard of

  4. #24
    Senior Member Tyler_LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canby, Oregon
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,121

    Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

    RP is more expensive but i got all mine on sale with coupons, good deals are out there.

  5. #25
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    yes redline is supposed to be good but I would be a little uncomfortable with it cause it says not for street use or race only and to be honest that just does not make sense to me there are others out there just seems royal purple is the one everyone has heard of
    They have the race use only, but I am pretty sure that they have street use oil too

  6. #26
    Member sirenformula350's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    33
    Posts
    597

    Silver
    1998 Trans Am

    what do you guys suggest 5W30 or 10W30? I saw one guy posted that he used 5W30 and I forget where, but others were saying that they were using 10W30. just curious...

  7. #27
    Member BrntWS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Land of the FOID
    Posts
    330

    SOM
    2002 WS6 M6 - 461hp 406tq

    Redline has street use oil, I buy a case every other year. I've done a lot of reading on the boards regarding oils and the people that do extensive testing a.k.a Patman all say Redline is one of if not the best oil to use

  8. #28
    2000pontiac6
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    what do you guys suggest 5W30 or 10W30? I saw one guy posted that he used 5W30 and I forget where, but others were saying that they were using 10W30. just curious...
    Ive been curious about that too... 10w30 has always been what i use and it says to use that.. so why do people use 5w30?

  9. #29
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6 View Post
    Ive been curious about that too... 10w30 has always been what i use and it says to use that.. so why do people use 5w30?
    5W30 is thinner at start up and will offer better protection, at operating temp they're both 30 weights.

  10. #30
    2000pontiac6
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    5W30 is thinner at start up and will offer better protection, at operating temp they're both 30 weights.
    So then why does it tell us to use 10w30

  11. #31
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by 2000pontiac6 View Post
    So then why does it tell us to use 10w30
    I'd have to pull out the owners manual but I believe it says it depends on which climate you live in.

  12. #32
    386HP 373TQ jwindbigler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    San Diego...Michigan originally
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1,426

    Pewter
    1999 Trans Am 5.7L

    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'd have to pull out the owners manual but I believe it says it depends on which climate you live in.

    I think that is true too. I run 5W-30 with mine.

  13. #33
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    5w-30 Royal Purple here,
    sure its expensive but i dont put too many miles on my car so i only change it like once a year

    runs fine , couldnt really see a difference between it and reg oil, but i know it aint hurtin it, as far as going from reg oil to synthetic, i didnt burn any so thats good

  14. #34
    Member NdrSiege's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    335

    Green
    1993 Mazda MX-6 LS

    10W30 is the norm. We used that at the shop I worked at. If the oil cap didn't clearly read a specific weight, we put in 10W30. I use 5W30 in mine.

  15. #35
    2000pontiac6
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    I'd have to pull out the owners manual but I believe it says it depends on which climate you live in.
    Thats a good point. I thought i remember seeing it on the cap or something else too though. So 5w30 helps for start up like say in a colder region? i'm in jersey so i'm wondering which i should really be using

  16. #36
    Member stanger88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    298

    Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

    NONONONONONO! Mobile 1 30-weight is THIN!

    0-30 German Castrol is what you want to run in an LS1. It wont burn near the oil and it will provide GREAT protection. WS6store.com has it for sale if you cannot find it at your local auto-zone dealer.

    It says 0-30 on the front and on the back "Made in Germany" <That is the key right there.

  17. #37
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    Quote Originally Posted by stanger88 View Post
    NONONONONONO! Mobile 1 30-weight is THIN!

    0-30 German Castrol is what you want to run in an LS1. It wont burn near the oil and it will provide GREAT protection. WS6store.com has it for sale if you cannot find it at your local auto-zone dealer.

    It says 0-30 on the front and on the back "Made in Germany" <That is the key right there.
    Heard that wasn't being produced anymore.

  18. #38
    Member stanger88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Shreveport, LA
    Age
    31
    Posts
    298

    Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Heard that wasn't being produced anymore.
    My local autozone seems to always have it in stock and WS6store.com still sells it for the rich guys who dont like hunting.

  19. #39
    Senior Member INMY01TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The great red state of MD.
    Posts
    5,755

    Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Heard that wasn't being produced anymore.
    I haven't heard that and I read the Bitog forum often. Still at Autozone here.

  20. #40
    Slow'er'Ass Mr. Luos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Thornton, CO
    Posts
    23,785

    Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

    I can't remember where I heard it...
    Great oil if you can get your hands on it.

    I am switching to VP synthetic 5w-30 here very soon.
    Car barely has 1,000 miles on the last change...in July.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •