Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Oil troubles/with vibrating

Ok so i posted awhile ago about a couple problems ive been having..i have alot more information now.I had a misfire in cylinder 3 changed the coil and wire,then i took out the plug to replace it with a new iridium plug,and the year old plug has oil in the threads and a lil on the plug itsself,so i replaced it and it misfired more than the old plug,but went away a day later...what could cause the oil on the plug(s)?and im also have a very noticable vibration thru the shifter thru the whole rpm range and also slightly at idle,when i did the clutch Napa resurfaced the flywheel...could this be the problem?i also know i need an alighnment which is what my dad tells me the proble could be.So what do you all think?ik its hard to help with problems like this without actually driving the car.but any help it awsome.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You may be getting excess oil in the intake from the PCV system. Did you pull any other plugs by chance?

The factory service manual warns against re-surfacing the flywheel as it has a taper. That being said, I know of at least one other member that has done so without any apparent issues. Could it be a u-joint on its way out? How about a broken trans mount?

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You may be getting excess oil in the intake from the PCV system. Did you pull any other plugs by chance?

The factory service manual warns against re-surfacing the flywheel as it has a taper. That being said, I know of at least one other member that has done so without any apparent issues. Could it be a u-joint on its way out? How about a broken trans mount?
    plug 3 is the only one with oil on it,and idk how to check a bad ujoint,ik there is no play with the driveshaft and the mount is fine that was my first guess

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by RedHot99T/A View Post
    plug 3 is the only one with oil on it,and idk how to check a bad ujoint,ik there is no play with the driveshaft and the mount is fine that was my first guess
    if plug 3 is oiled up, it could be bad rings on that piston....hopefullly not....also, i dont know if it applies to ls1, but on the 3.8 with the plastic intake, it cracks after time and begins to leak into the cylinders...

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    if plug 3 is oiled up, it could be bad rings on that piston....hopefullly not....also, i dont know if it applies to ls1, but on the 3.8 with the plastic intake, it cracks after time and begins to leak into the cylinders...
    Good point with the intake,my friend had his crack on the ls1....it does have 130000miles on it,and I'm sure about all of them were hard miles.I try to baby it but still have fun.

pewter
    99 trans am

Good point with the intake,my friend had his crack on the ls1....it does have 130000miles on it,and I'm sure about all of them were hard miles.I try to baby it but still have fun.
    sometimes you gotta feed a little speed to your ride....keeps the engine clean

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

sometimes you gotta feed a little speed to your ride....keeps the engine clean

o deff.dont go crazy on my car but she deff doesnt get driven to soft...lol

Red
    1999 Trans Am ws.6

I also forgot to mention when let off the gas and the deaccelerates at low speeds in a low gear I hear a whining noise

pewter
    99 trans am

I also forgot to mention when let off the gas and the deaccelerates at low speeds in a low gear I hear a whining noise
    thats pretty common too as the rear end is a pos in these cars

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

i dont know if it applies to ls1, but on the 3.8 with the plastic intake, it cracks after time and begins to leak into the cylinders...
    Not a problem with the LS1 intake. There isn't any coolant flow through the LS1 intake like the 3.8

Thread Information