Thread: Oil pressure

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Oil pressure

Hey guys i need some help, i got a 99 firebird and i just got my oil changed last weekend from firestone. ever since then, my oil pressure has been moving around. i know its supposed to move but not like this. at idle or a steady speed the oil pressure will move from a little below 60 to around 70-75. thats not supposed to happen at IDLE or a steady speed. Im startin to think Firestone is going to need to owe me. But i have no idea. Oil Pump may just happend to go out at tht certain moment. feedback if you can help.

oh and on a cold start it starts to jerk.
    Last edited by flybird; 05-12-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic/Black
    02 camaro z28/01 wife t/a

mine does the same thing and my buddy's t/a also but both are high mileage. I have heard that its actually the gauges but i'm not sure. I also would like to know the answer to this.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by reaper ws6 View Post
    mine does the same thing and my buddy's t/a also but both are high mileage. I have heard that its actually the gauges but i'm not sure. I also would like to know the answer to this.
    really? the body just has 147,000 while the new engine sits at about 2500 miles.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by flybird View Post
    Hey guys i need some help, i got a 99 firebird and i just got my oil changed last weekend from firestone. ever since then, my oil pressure has been moving around. i know its supposed to move but not like this. at idle or a steady speed the oil pressure will move from a little below 60 to around 70-75. thats not supposed to happen at IDLE or a steady speed. Im startin to think Firestone is going to need to owe me. But i have no idea. Oil Pump may just happend to go out at tht certain moment. feedback if you can help.

oh and on a cold start it starts to jerk.
    Only from an oil change and you say they owe you something. Firestone uses a synthetic blend oil from a major supplier for their basic LOF, at least in IN.

You gotta be more specific than what you wrote. GM cars are known for oil pressure sending unit problems, and when they fail they will usually report falsely high with sporadic readings. Oil pressure at idle is not an issue unless it is below 15 psi, and some people will say it isn't an issue unless it is less than 10 psi. Who told you about oil pressure specs? An erratic reading at a steady speed (or idle) would usually be caused by a mechanical issue, not from a simple oil change.

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Only from an oil change and you say they owe you something. Firestone uses a synthetic blend oil from a major supplier for their basic LOF, at least in IN.

You gotta be more specific than what you wrote. GM cars are known for oil pressure sending unit problems, and when they fail they will usually report falsely high with sporadic readings. Oil pressure at idle is not an issue unless it is below 15 psi, and some people will say it isn't an issue unless it is less than 10 psi. Who told you about oil pressure specs? An erratic reading at a steady speed (or idle) would usually be caused by a mechanical issue, not from a simple oil change.

just after the oil change its been acting rough on a cold start. when you put it in drive it jerks like it has a hard time getting up n go. when its warm its fine, just the oil pressure moves between 60-75. idk what is the matter..

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Sounds like a missfire issue. Is your check engine light ever on?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Oil pressure seems great to me

Mid Night Blue
    1999 Firebird 3.8 series

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    Sounds like a missfire issue. Is your check engine light ever on?
    no. the engine is new, i could see why you say its miss fireing.. maybe thats the problem, just the engine light is prolly broken or something.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

What do you mean "the engine light is broken"? It never comes on? Has that happened since the engine install?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

..(3.8L = a BOP engine not 3800cc)..

Best to get a manual guage and check the oil presure @ the sending unit.. It's located dirrectly above the oil filter on the 3800.. I would'nt put a ton of faith in the sending units OR the cluster on these things..

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Always a good idea if you have oil pressure concerns. Not something you want to fool around with in case there is a real pressure issue.

Thread Information