Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 024mula

oil fill cap

This is a discussion on oil fill cap within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; ok so I bought the air breather from hawks third gen that goes in place of the oil fill cap.first ...

white
    2000 trans am

oil fill cap

ok so I bought the air breather from hawks third gen that goes in place of the oil fill cap.first it was surpose to be billit but the only billit piece is the ring before the breather element the top and bottom of the element is rubber looks cheap,so I cant install it because my strut tower is in the way and even if it wasent it would look pretty bad being screwed in place of the oil cap.,(it would be stacked on top of the fill tube.my question is does the part that goes into the valve cover that the oilfill cap screws on to come out of the valve cover the guy at hawks sad it does and you can either put the breather on top of the tube or directly on the valve cover I don't want to break it being its just plastic

2000 ws6 thanks

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I understand that they can be removed, but that most of them get broken in the process. There was a thread on here somewhere with pics of one removed in order to polish the rocker cover.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yes it can be removed but mine broke in the process.

I ended up ordering a replacement from BTR Racing for $14.

The part number is 12559505.

After I installed a new one I see why it broke. It is design to lock in. Getting them off the plastic doesn't give much. I needed to clock mine in order to clear the alternator. So it's not fully locked in place with no leaks or issues.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

white
    2000 trans am

yeah just spoke to tech at third gen you have to take the valve cover off flip it over and bend back the locking tab to remove it then you can install the breather in its place

white
    2000 trans am

can I have someone opinion on this write up I took off the third gens web for installing the oil fill cap replacement breather

Note 2: In some installations, the removal of the vent tube that runs from the valve cover (on the breather side) to the air intake is recommended. The remaining outlets can be capped using readily-available 3/8" vacuum caps. This change will prevent air (and oil) from being drawn through the breather and then into the intake, and the removal of the hose at the front of the engine results in a cleaner look.

If you are describing the area I think you are, that's what they make the catch cans for. I believe that's the same hose that has the PCV valve if we are talking about the same area.

white
    2000 trans am

no its the one that goes from pass side valve cover to throttle body,anyway so I read that they both get capped when using the breather and the catch can deal takes the place of all the rest of the pcv stuff

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The catch can connects to the vacuum port on the side of the intake. I always recommend running a PCV system on a car to evacuate blowby in lieu of just installing a breather.

white
    2000 trans am

that's why im asking if this is ok
    Note 2: In some installations, the removal of the vent tube that runs from the valve cover (on the breather side) to the air intake is recommended. The remaining outlets can be capped using readily-available 3/8" vacuum caps. This change will prevent air (and oil) from being drawn through the breather and then into the intake, and the removal of the hose at the front of the engine results in a cleaner look.
    I would be leaving the pcv stuff just caping the tube on the pass side valve cover and the throttlebody

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

This is how mine is set up however I have a LS6 intake with LS6 valley plate. So I come from valley plate to can and back to intake. With a stock pcv you have to plumb from hose running on passenger side to can and then can to intake and yes you can plug the two coming from valve cover
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Click for full size
    This is how mine is set up however I have a LS6 intake with LS6 valley plate. So I come from valley plate to can and back to intake. With a stock pcv you have to plumb from hose running on passenger side to can and then can to intake and yes you can plug the two coming from valve cover
    kingls1 likes this.

Thread Information