Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Oil change light

This is a discussion on Oil change light within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Too Fast And no FBJ, I didn't miss your point about sending in the oil for a ...

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

And no FBJ, I didn't miss your point about sending in the oil for a UOA. This is not practical for the everyday driver, this is what the OLM is intended for. I never claimed it takes samples.
    The OLM doesn't sample your oil, so it's intention is frivolous, it's just a guess. I don't recommend using it as iron clad.

Sending oil out isn't hard to do, it's actually very practical if you care at all about engine life. You don't need to do it all the time either. 2-3 times while keeping track of oil change intervals (gradually extending them each time) will set a pattern and give you a very good idea when the oil should be changed. From there you can stick to that regiman without the oil samples and be rest assured you are getting your money's worth from your oil changes without harm to the engine. It's very simple.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You asked for facts...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I think some need to agree to disagree on this subject.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 12-15-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Yes I will agree to disagree when someone agrees that a smartass response like moose piss in the oil pan is a relevant opinion/fact. Unless he wants to buy me a beer sometime!

Who made a smartass response that moose piss in the pan is relevant? You've lost me, I can't find that anywhere. What are you talking about?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

See post #16.

Oh I see. I believe the point that Jeff is trying to get accross is that your oil change light doesn't know the quality of oil you are using, so when it bases the oil change interval off of RPM, heat cycles, key cycles, and all the other things we talked about, it's not making an educated decision. We all know the better oils like some of your synthetics will have better base stock, add packs, and cleaners that can go longer between services. The oil change light in a 4th gen doesn't know any different.
    pajeff02 likes this.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

My car has an oil analyzer... it's called me

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Oh I see. I believe the point that Jeff is trying to get accross is that your oil change light doesn't know the quality of oil you are using, so when it bases the oil change interval off of RPM, heat cycles, key cycles, and all the other things we talked about, it's not making an educated decision. We all know the better oils like some of your synthetics will have better base stock, add packs, and cleaners that can go longer between services. The oil change light in a 4th gen doesn't know any different.

Yes it does. See post #20. The OLM makes educated decisions based on what you stated, assuming the proper viscosity/type of oil is installed with the new oil change!

I totally agree with Jeff that the OLM has no idea what type of lubricant is installed in the oil pan.

Sometimes I wonder if anybody bothers to read any post any other person submits, and only responds to the last comment on a thread. For these engines the OLM is basing its decision upon what the manufacturer recomended at the time the engine was built......in this case, conventional 5W30. Not synthetic. Not high mileage. Not Moose Piss. And it assumes the filter is changed at the same time. Basic, conventional 5W30. This is why I disagree with you people who say the OLM is useless. So if you use a higher quality oil than what the manufacturer recommends, and one changes that oil before the OLM says it's appropriate, you aren't doing any harm, and only helping prolong the engine life (as long as you don't count the extra dry start wear on an engine when the oil is changed, but that's an entirely different subject).

I'm still waiting for somebody to give me a legitimate response as to why the OLM is useless, if the owner of the vehicle uses the recommended type of oil. Maybe I'll get an intelligent, thought out answer before the end of the world this Friday. Maybe not. Doesn't matter anyway, right, since the Incans say our time is now lol.

Your legitimate response was given.

Next time you change your oil, grab a small sample while it drains and send it off to Blackstone. Doesn't take long to get your results back and it's not wasted time while you're under there anyway. That's the only educated way to know if your oil change interval is doing it's job. If it coincides with your light, that's great, but to assume it's okay without the facts printed out on a sheet of paper isn't the smart way to go about it.

Do this a couple times is all it takes to know your interval is truely working for you. It's a wealth of other information too, like if you air filter is doing a good job, fuel dilution, etc...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information