Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Official: No New Firebird

This is a discussion on Official: No New Firebird within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; The F-body's were "Pony" cars. Mustang set the auto industry on it's arse in 1964 with it's staggering sales figures. ...

purple/blue metallic
    2001 WS6

The F-body's were "Pony" cars. Mustang set the auto industry on it's arse in 1964 with it's staggering sales figures. It took 3 yrs for GM to respond with it's own Mustangs. Took Mopar even longer to get it's "Mustang" on the street. "Pony" obviously was a tip of the hat to ford's Mustang brand and the industry called all of the Mustangs that hit the market a "Pony".
    Muscle to me was the 64' GTO and 63' Thunderbolt and the old Impalas etc...etc. Big block engine in a family car. Big blocks take a while to show up in the Pony cars. They use the term muscle car too much these days describing family sedans with gobs of horsepower. SRT8's and G8's and other 50,000 pound 4 doors with gps and guys with 3 piece suits and mid-life-crisis issues in them. I think they're still a mini-van.
    I hope and pray someone shoe-horns the electric motor out of a large 40' transit bus into a new Camaro and does a quarter mile in 11 sec or tops it out at 180 mph. If that electric motor can drive 80 passengers up hill...it can do wonders in our "pony" cars. The "Tesla" is a great idea...electric muscle cars.
    Last edited by Transamapleleaf; 08-29-2008 at 11:09 AM.

2001 WS6 t-top M6 blue 260 KPH speedo...eh
    ASC build # 5430 Feb 15 2001
    SLP Headers and Loudmouth pipes...my neighbors love me...I start work at 5:00 AM!

green
    69 camaro z28

i think sales will be fine... do you want the new camaro to be like the mustang? there's a saying: mustangs are like ass holes everyone's got one. camaros have always been more expensive than the mustang. deal with it. having a car that noone else has and wants is whats cool about owning it.

as for power i think it will be fine... 422 horsepower with a 6 speed would be a running bitch and if its true that the SS will be supercharged it will be cheaper and faster than the GT500KR which shouldn't even be compared to camaro considering that it costs more than $60k.

finally why would GM risk losing money this early. they haven't even released the camaro therefore don't know how its going to sale. If the camaro sales are good then then GM will probably be more likely to allow Pontiac to build the TA you all want

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 12gage View Post
    i think sales will be fine... do you want the new camaro to be like the mustang? there's a saying: mustangs are like ass holes everyone's got one. camaros have always been more expensive than the mustang. deal with it. having a car that noone else has and wants is whats cool about owning it.

as for power i think it will be fine... 422 horsepower with a 6 speed would be a running bitch and if its true that the SS will be supercharged it will be cheaper and faster than the GT500KR which shouldn't even be compared to camaro considering that it costs more than $60k.

finally why would GM risk losing money this early. they haven't even released the camaro therefore don't know how its going to sale. If the camaro sales are good then then GM will probably be more likely to allow Pontiac to build the TA you all want

neither of them fat ass pigs... especialy the camro... fat damn pig... needs a diet and loss of the retro bull shit... way to be origional gm... follow in ford foot steps... maybe they will blame ford when they fail with sales instead of the design and marketing divisions/departments...

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    neither of them fat ass pigs... especialy the camro... fat damn pig... needs a diet and loss of the retro bull shit... way to be origional gm... follow in ford foot steps... maybe they will blame ford when they fail with sales instead of the design and marketing divisions/departments...
    See thing I don't get is how people seem to forget that the only reason the camaro was brought back on the table at gm and the only reason it got the ok for production is because of the overwhelmingly good response and demand for it's return from the public.

Sidewayz Hat Police LS1TransHed's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Trans Am

and loss of the retro bull shit...
    yeah I hate this retro fad too. But it will pass. The next generation of Pony Cars (if we make it to a next generation) will more than likely be innovation again and not imitation.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I feel like the 4th gens have held their value pretty well won't a new firebird hurt the resale value of our 4th gens??

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
    Good. I like having the last year of the bird. Last of the Breed forever.
    Amen brother! I'm almost glad they discontinued the RamAir/WS6's,that's just going to make our cars that much more valuable. I had planned on keeping my '98 forever, right up until I totalled it!! But know this, I do plan on keeping my '00 until I can't see past the hood because of old age. I'm 51, so, I should have another 30 years to burn the back tires down and I'm looking so forward to it!

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

I agree.... I HATE RETROS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Don't blame me.... I voted for John McCain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

What is and isn't a muscle car.

A lot of people here have been bad mouthing the v6, and arguing over what is and isn't a muscle car. My thoughts regarding the power plant argument: A muscle car does not have to have a v8.

Think about the Buick GNX, it had a v6 turbo and it was a hell of a lot quicker than many v8's.

Also, lt1 cars are considered muscle cars and they can out of the factory with 280 hp. New v6 Camaro = 300 hp. (Same as current v8 Mustang)

Some v6 f-body owners have even gotten their cars into the 11's and lower, my ls1 TA can't do that. What right do any of you have to say that their cars aren't muscle cars, especially those of you not pushing their numbers?

Artic White
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Method View Post
    I'm torn:

1- I'm glad to see they won't bastardize the design and shape I love to DEATH!

2- I'm dissapointed the legacy won't live on, and more and more I say to people 'I own a Trans-AM', 'A what?' is my answer, sad
    I feel the same way. I hate the new retro design, they should of come up with something orignial, but then again the name might be lost. Its hard, but in the end it helps us trans am owners.

I wouldn't bash the new Camaro for retro. It isn't THAT retro, or that much a copy of the mustang. The mustang is a 5 speed with a solid axle, the Camaro is a 6 speed with an IRS.

The Camaro also still has the pushrod V8. And considering both Ford and Dodge went OHC and DOHC with their motors the Camaro does keep to the old ways decently well.
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Black
    2002 WS6

I love the styling of the new car. It looks better than the '69. It's #1 problem is that it is too big and heavy. There was absolutely no need for that. GM goofed big-time when it build a large RWD plant instead of a mid/small chassis plant.

That's true but there were new safety standards they wanted to meet. Look on the bright side, the cars are more powerful to make up for the weight, 100 horsepower more powerful than the last 4th gens.

Sliver
    2002 T/A WS6 A4

There are some pretty good renderings of 2012 T/A's in the new issue of Hot Rod. As well as 4 specialty new Camaros.

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

yes, no more retro. Expand on the beloved 4th gen design, mix in a little innovation, and....

wha-la!

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ImportIntimidator View Post
    yes, no more retro. Expand on the beloved 4th gen design, mix in a little innovation, and....

wha-la!
    Click for full size
    although with this design they should put pop up headlights to bed...otherwise I think this would be a great 2012 'Phoenix' Firebird

Black
    2002 Trans am ws6

you said it. I would like a new TA though.

I don't know I liked the pop up headlights personally, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by too fast View Post
    just means that as our cars get even more rare, more people will wonder "wtf was that that just passed me!!!!"
    lol alltoo true!!

You can bet that someone in the aftermarket is going to come out with a Firebird conversion body kit for the Camaro.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information