red
    2001 trans am ws6

Notorious door cracks..need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I saw an article in hpp magazine on how to repair or prevent the door cracks by removing the staples on the door panel where it connects to the window felt. then they say to replace the staples with small screws. i did this but i dont like it. i feel like this created a bit more stress points than the staples. i was thinking maybe using a strong adhesive to bond them together, then there would be no stress points at all, the door panel would be much more relaxed. Any suggestions would really help me out because i want to do this correctly. thanks guys

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Per the article, the screws are installed "finger tight" using a thread locking compound to keep the nuts from coming loose. This allows some movement between the components and thereby alleviates the stress which causes the cracks. Have to do the same repair to my driver door panel (cracked), and will be modifying the passenger side (not cracked) also as preventative maintenance.

red
    2001 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Per the article, the screws are installed "finger tight" using a thread locking compound to keep the nuts from coming loose. This allows some movement between the components and thereby alleviates the stress which causes the cracks. Have to do the same repair to my driver door panel (cracked), and will be modifying the passenger side (not cracked) also as preventative maintenance.
    Yeah i dont have cracks yet i want to prevent it. but the nuts are touching the internal metal part of the door and kinda cocked it so it doesnt fit quite right. what do you think about adhesive? bad?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think the problem is that the materials have different expansion rates with changes in temperature. On a hot sunny day with the windows up the interior temp can go past 135 degrees. On the coldest winter day (at least for both of us) the temp can get down to 15 degrees below zero. Thats a potential range of 150 degrees that our interiors may be subject to. If you bond the two materials together, you may actually create more stress on the door panel. Should you choose to go this route - I would probably reinforce the back side of the panel where it is prone to cracking.

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

I did my drivers side using the same nuts and screws recommended in the article using loctite and cutting the excess thread. If you hand tighten them and just a little with a screw driver they'll be on there tight enough and the nuts will clear anything in the door itself.

Worked great for me and took out all the stress in the panel. I had a crack that was just starting. I gotta do the pass side asap cause a crack is just starting but it hasnt come down past the rubber strip.

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

How do you repair it?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

Thanks!

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I just did this to my door panels with no problems. The key is use super small machine screws and cut off the excess threads. I put my screws in from the back side (opposite as the High Perf Pontiac article.
    Definitely don't bond the two peices together!!
    Another good write up:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...ght=door+crack

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I used this method to fix my driver side and it cracked again a couple days later. O well.

Thread Information