Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nonsense I Tell You

This is a discussion on Nonsense I Tell You within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was doing some research and a possiblity along with the thermostat not working was that the radiator could be ...

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

I was doing some research and a possiblity along with the thermostat not working was that the radiator could be clogged or have some kind of a blockage. I guess a radiator flush and stat change is in order. If anyone has anymore suggestions please they are welcomed.

Awaiting Activation

black
    2002 Trans Am

Here's a shot in the dark. Could there be a leaking head gasket, allowing combustion chamber pressure into the cooling system?

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Here's a shot in the dark. Could there be a leaking head gasket, allowing combustion chamber pressure into the cooling system?
    anything is possible but the engine would overheat and smoke like crazy with a blown head gasket

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

If nothing else fixed it I'm going with a clogged cooling system.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

yeah it rained like crazy yesterday so i'm gonna have to try tonight. But the head gasket couldn't be the culprit

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by egod View Post
    yeah it rained like crazy yesterday so i'm gonna have to try tonight. But the head gasket couldn't be the culprit
    Ya you would know if it was the head gasket for sure one of the signs is milky colored
    oil plus all the smoking and such.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

We have figured out through process of elimination and through the progressive nature that it has to be a clogged system. So tomorrow i'm taking out the radiator to a guy to who can "dip it" and test it. IS there anything i need to know or look out for when taking it out?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

What kind of coolant do you use, and how long has it been since it was last flushed?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

i was the dex cool, the red stuff, i have only had the car for about two months so i have never had it flushed, i assume the dealer may have. I took out the radiator today and will have it tested monday and will probably get a new one. NO big problems thankfully.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

thats some pretty shitty luck dude... well bright side is you will have a damn near mint cooling system by the time this is over...

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

A head gasket failure doesn't always overheat, smoke like crazy, or make milky colored
    oil. I've seen plenty of head gasket failures that just drink coolant or create cooling system over pressurization. Head gasket is valid idea here and its the 1st thing that came to my mind.
    To test for a head gasket get this NAPA combustion gas block tester.

Also if need be put the radiator cap in half way on position instead of cranking it down all the way. That way the pressure will bled off easier into the overflow tank.

pewter
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    A head gasket failure doesn't always overheat, smoke like crazy, or make milky colored
    oil. I've seen plenty of head gasket failures that just drink coolant or create cooling system over pressurization. Head gasket is valid idea here and its the 1st thing that came to my mind.
    To test for a head gasket get this NAPA combustion gas block tester.
    Click for full size
    Click for full size
    Also if need be put the radiator cap in half way on position instead of cranking it down all the way. That way the pressure will bled off easier into the overflow tank.
    I'll remember that info .

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

yeah i think we tried that, also a cap with less pressure. We ran it with the cap off and se started getting back pressure, you know coolant spitting a little out of were the cap would be. I'm thinking its that because the pressure build up is not where the cap is otherwise it would be blow so its gotta be in the radiator. I'm taking it to get tested monday cause everywhere is closed this weekend so well see them.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

I had the exact same problem with my car... 160 thermostat and new cap/hose and I have never had another issue with it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

well yesturday i was finally able to get a new radiator and get it all installed and no issues, no leaks or other problems. So i am guessing it had to be that. Thanks for all your help guys. I sure hope it doesn't happen again, it would have happened by now i thing if that wasn't the problem. THe guy at the shop said as soon as i brought it through the door that is was aftermarket and the maker was shit. It was only 150 w/tax for a performance one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information