Thread: no brake lights

no brake lights

We have a 2001 Bird..we have tail lights,turn signals and hazards but no brake lights except the 3rd light in the trunk lid..we changed all the tail light bulbs and changed the fuse but still no brake lights..any suggestions??

black
    2000 trans am

Did you make sure it was the right bulb? Any water damage?
    Are your front lights working?
    I had a similar problem but with my blinker in the back.. make sure all your lights work because one could be triggering and causing your light not to work

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

make sure you have the right bulbs, some look identical but they will not work, i dont think is the fuse but you might wanna ch4eck that also, o
    another guess will be the socket messed up.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

It has to be the bulbs. The brake light switch is working and you have power the the sockets. It's Gotta be da bulbs is wrong.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Agree.. Has to be the bulbs or sockets.

Make sure you're getting lamps that have the right part number and contain 2 filoments.

One filoment is high and one is low in brightness on brake lamp indicators.

If you just got tail lamps which are single filoment bulbs they will light up but there will be no high or bright side for braking indication.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Interesting issue... if you need schematics posted let me know.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

This is a classic turn signal switch failure.

If all the bulbs work as they should when you turn on the hazards, and also have the parking lights on to check those filaments in the bulbs, and only the 3rd brake light works, then the turn signal switch has issues 99.9% of the time. I've fixed many like this.

The brake circuit goes thru the turn signal switch except for the dedicated wire to the 3rd eye. Now, since you know about this, when you're driving look at how many cars have a failure like this, I usually see 2 or 3 per year and if I can at the stop light, let them know about it so the gun-toting fine collector doesn't do his thing.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    This is a classic turn signal switch failure.

If all the bulbs work as they should when you turn on the hazards, and also have the parking lights on to check those filaments in the bulbs, and only the 3rd brake light works, then the turn signal switch has issues 99.9% of the time. I've fixed many like this.

The brake circuit goes thru the turn signal switch except for the dedicated wire to the 3rd eye. Now, since you know about this, when you're driving look at how many cars have a failure like this, I usually see 2 or 3 per year and if I can at the stop light, let them know about it so the gun-toting fine collector doesn't do his thing.
    No SHIT !!! Wow, I would have never thought about the turn signal switch. Good call.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

That switch is a PITA..

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

This check works only when the turn signal/hazard/brake light filament are all the same in the back, like on the 4th gen TA. When they are different bulbs, like an amber rear turn signal, there is a different problem. Lots of Fords have this issue as well, and those combination switches are a lot easier to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1nightrider View Post
    Did you make sure it was the right bulb? Any water damage?
    Are your front lights working?
    I had a similar problem but with my blinker in the back.. make sure all your lights work because one could be triggering and causing your light not to work
    is this problem very common? why did i fall into this trouble?
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.
    brake light bulbs

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by sunney View Post
    is this problem very common? why did i fall into this trouble?
    It can be. With GM it depends on the vehicle in question some are a better design than others.

Example: My 05 Chevy Equanox and my brothers 07 Chevy Colorado for instance,

we're constantly replacing our tail lamps as there is an inherent design flaw that causes tail lamps to nearly constantly burn out.

Harness, socket and switch issues are a relatively common problem with the 4th gen F-body aswell.

But if you look @ vehicles such as my Hummer you see a far better design.

Everything on my H3 is water proofed..

It was designed to have it's lights and other external electrical componets submerged in water as the H3 can ford 24 inches of water.

Even the doors are double gasketed to keep water out of the cabin.

Hoses and sensors for the induction system are fitted (snap together with fitting lips and clamps) and sensors shielded to keep out water,

and durring those times where it's under water the engine breaths though the raised foe air intakes just ahead or the windshield.

The H3 is also more of a luxury SUV and carried a heavier price tag new aswell.

In the case of my 01 Camaro, I did'nt have any issues with my sockets or switches, but I could'nt keep fog lamp bulbs in it to save my life.

Have the right bulbs,no water damage..gonna try the brake light switch first..then the turn signal..thanks for all the help!!

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Brake light switch won't help, and you will waste your $$$. You already proved the brake light switch is good since the 3rd eye is working.

Thread Information