Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

no 93 octane

This is a discussion on no 93 octane within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; you only need 91... but i always get 93 anyway if its there...

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-Awesome

you only need 91...

but i always get 93 anyway if its there
    No Replacement For Displacement

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Here in Indiana I've found that 93 is becoming harder to find....I still find 92 to be plentiful, though....However, I've found that some Shell stations & most BP stations still carry 93 here....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Yikes! Sorry to hear that you guys are having trouble with this! Presently, I haven't had any trouble finding 93 octane in Atlanta.

Given that many of us are running higher compression motors (11:1 and up) and are already on edge with 93 octane pump gas, this will likely be a more popular discussion going forward.

black trans am

i always run 93 in my t/a buts its only a bolt on car. i tryed to run sheetz 91 one night b/c i was low and i didnt have any money till the next day. it ran ok but i lost a bunch of power and it didint want to run right i think it was pining on the high end

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Arrison24 View Post
    you only need 91...

but i always get 93 anyway if its there
    the stock ls1 is tuned for 92 octane
    ofcourse the computer will adjust you can run 87 it just wont make as much power and probably get worse mpg's therefore not saving any money

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by nitrorustler41 View Post
    costco should carry 93 still. you need a membership to buy gas there, but its cheap, and the gas is very good quality. it always has atleast the advertised octane number. usually a little higher.

hahahaha, i am glad my truck runs on regular. also, it has the e85 package. ford just sent me $50 in free e85 coupons....HURRAY!!!!
    well my daily vehicles all take 87 except 1 takes diesel

don't feel so lucky with e-85 you will not get as good of mpg's with it car and driver did a story on it about a year ago

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    the stock ls1 is tuned for 92 octane
    ofcourse the computer will adjust you can run 87 it just wont make as much power and probably get worse mpg's therefore not saving any money
    Manual states 91 or higher.

Quote Originally Posted by joejenkinsglass View Post
    from where? and will I need a license of any kind?
    Don't need a license. We were buying 55 gallon drums of it from a local machine shop that is a buddy of mine. Most high performance machine shops have access to this due to the fact that they usually have their own race car to campaign as well..

You can also buy them from most local speed shops if you have any in your area.

You generally get a break per gallon as well buying in bulk,,,verses $6.00 a gallon for race gas at the pump you may save .30 to .50 cents a gallon buying by the drum. At least we did, been a year or so though.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight02 View Post
    Yikes! Sorry to hear that you guys are having trouble with this! Presently, I haven't had any trouble finding 93 octane in Atlanta.

Given that many of us are running higher compression motors (11:1 and up) and are already on edge with 93 octane pump gas, this will likely be a more popular discussion going forward.
    Yep thats on the edge, I have a couple of older cars like that. The tune is touchy. And I've had to make a few minor adjustments within the past year,,,,as I think the quality of the gas is getting worse. And thats with 94 octane here. A timing retard box comes in handy on the old stuff so I can pull timing in a pinch if need be.
    The 4th gens have the ability to do that on their own,,but as mentioned,,,performance and mileage suffer as a result.

It's going to get even worse in a few more years.

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Manual states 91 or higher.
    my bad
    I remembered 92 but my memory sucks

green
    98 formula

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't need a license. We were buying 55 gallon drums of it from a local machine shop that is a buddy of mine. Most high performance machine shops have access to this due to the fact that they usually have their own race car to campaign as well..

You can also buy them from most local speed shops if you have any in your area.

You generally get a break per gallon as well buying in bulk,,,verses $6.00 a gallon for race gas at the pump you may save .30 to .50 cents a gallon buying by the drum. At least we did, been a year or so though.
    thats good to know but I was thinking of just 93 octane

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Turbo blue is gone from around here. 93 is everywhere. My dads old gto had to have turbo blue or he had to go the airport. He stopped filling it up with HO gas then about a month later the piston rings were melted together

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

I like to cut 10gals of 91 with 5 gals of 100. Avg out to be around $5 a gal when I do that and it equates to 94 octane. Lately, I've been running 91 Octane and it doesn't really seem to make too much difference except under hard loads with A/C on. Not something I really do. Most of the time when I get on it hard the A/C is off so.... I don't even worry about it now.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 05-11-2008 at 12:18 AM.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    I like to cut 10gals of 91 with 5 gals of 100. Avg out to be around $5 a gal when I do that and it equates to 97 octane. Lately, I've been running 91 Octane and it doesn't really seem to make too much difference except under hard loads with A/C on. Not something I really do. Most of the time when I get on it hard the A/C is off so.... I don't even worry about it now.
    What kind of mods do you have done so that you need 95?

Tune, Thottle body, MAF, Iradium Plugs, Custom Ram Air and etc... Nothing that really requires it. But, it does seem to run better without pinging with all the advance I throw at it. Without it, some timing get knocked out it seems. I haven't put a data recorder to it but, that is what it apears to do. I seem to pick up about .2 in the 1/4 when I run it at the track. I also can break 30mpg with the mix. Otherwise, I'm at 28.5mpg with a very light foot.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Every gas station where I live has 87-89-93, and I always put 93 in my WS6 and 87 in my Firebird.

When you say Firebird. Do you mean V6 Firebird? Or do you mean non-ws6 Trans AM / Formula, etc.....

Sunset Orange Metallic

When you say Firebird. Do you mean V6 Firebird? Or do you mean non-ws6 Trans AM / Formula, etc.....
    Sorry, my 1998 3.8L Firebird.

That explains it. I would never run 87 in my Firebird V8. It is not recommended except for a short distance to get 91 octane in an emergency. Then they tell you to only get a few gallons so when you fill up in a few miles it will mix that to a higher octane level.
    I wish we could run 89 .... But, that isn't much better than 87 for our V8's.

Thank you for clarification ....

Sunset Orange Metallic

That explains it. I would never run 87 in my Firebird V8. It is not recommended except for a short distance to get 91 octane in an emergency. Then they tell you to only get a few gallons so when you fill up in a few miles it will mix that to a higher octane level.
    I wish we could run 89 .... But, that isn't much better than 87 for our V8's.
    Yeah, 89 is just a mixtutre of 93 with 87 and from what I here mainly 87.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information