View Poll Results: Should I get a cam or lower it?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • cam

29 61.70%
  • koni/strano combo

18 38.30%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Next Mod: Lowered or Cammed?

I'm trying to decide which mod I should do next. If i lower it, i'll probably go with the Koni/Strano combo cuz i've heard its awesome. are there any other parts i would need other than just the struts and springs? I've heard it will cost around $1k given that i install it myself.
    My other option is to get a cam and i know that i will need a new timing chain, springs and retainers as well. Without the cost of the tune, i should be able to get all the parts and have them installed for about $1500 right?

I would expect to get around 370-380 rwhp with the cam and i know i'd enjoy that, but a better handling car with a better stance would be great too (and a little cheaper). what do you guys recommend?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

IMO, these cars handle great as is, unless your going to AutoX it.

If it were me, I'd go with a cam.

Just my .02 though, I can still see the benefit of going with the suspension too.

Depends on where you want to be faster....in a straight line, or around curves?

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

Definitely cam.

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am #693

...and I also think they are fine on stock suspension. I've gone fast in both straight lines and corners in mine. Unless you want to go fast on tight corners then I would worry about suspension.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Guess I'll be the oddball and say once you go Strano's and Koni's you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I have Sam's Springs Swaybars and Koni's, and the difference over Stock is Amazing
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    Guess I'll be the oddball and say once you go Strano's and Koni's you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner. I have Sam's Springs Swaybars and Koni's, and the difference over Stock is Amazing
    I know what you mean man. I went for a ride in my buddy's 01 prelude that's turbo'd and got some suspension goodies too. it was such a thrill goin through the twisties in that thing cuz it handled like a mofo! but... I know I would love a 50 rwhp gain from a cam, but i'd also probably want to get the ls6 intake and a p&P TB which adds another couple hundred bucks. So it looks like a cam would be around $2K for me if i want to do it right (and still keeping stock heads )

I really don't like how these cars handle stock... i mean it's OK, but it's not as good as most imports. if only i could afford BOTH!

red/black
    02 WS6/96 VR4/07 ZX10R

I hope it's OK to throw in my opinion. I would have to say suspension. I have a 96 3000gt vr4. for those of you who don't know the suspension on them are set for awd and 4 wheel steering. The handling on that car is so much tighter and so much more fun to whip thru the twisties(I know: apples and oranges). My T/A is great and by far my favorite ride but my first mods will definetly have to be some suspension tweaks. The T/A is quick to react to steering wheel input but you can definetly feel the stock suspension working overtime. Just my two cents!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

cam it!
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I agree with this. I have the same setup, it was pretty much the first thing I've done. And well worth it.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

did u do the sways at the same time as the springs/konis???? i have the springs/koni's and a umi adj PHR but i havnt done sams sways yet......im curious how big of a diff the sways will give me??? im certain i can click my shocks down one notch softer for a more comfy ride once i do the sways
    ..lemme hear your impressions??

Red
    2001 ws6

what are your mods now?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I know what you mean man. I went for a ride in my buddy's 01 prelude that's turbo'd and got some suspension goodies too. it was such a thrill goin through the twisties in that thing cuz it handled like a mofo! but... I know I would love a 50 rwhp gain from a cam, but i'd also probably want to get the ls6 intake and a p&P TB which adds another couple hundred bucks. So it looks like a cam would be around $2K for me if i want to do it right (and still keeping stock heads )

I really don't like how these cars handle stock... i mean it's OK, but it's not as good as most imports. if only i could afford BOTH!
    Don't waste your money on imports when you could use the money to make your car handle better than any of those cars can, and still go fast as hell.

You can make your car handle like its on rails if you just do some upgrades. The front suspension of 4th gens is SLA (Short Long Arm) and it well regarded as on of the best, if not the best, front end suspension setup in the industry.

Namely you want to upgrade to:

Performance Shocks/Struts (Konis, Bilsteins, ect)
    Strut Tower Bar
    Lowering Springs
    Tubular or Boxed Trailing Arms
    Tubular Panhard rod
    Tubular control arms
    Poly Bushings
    Larger Sway Bars
    18" Wheels w/ performance tires

That will have your car in very good shape handling wise.

Red
    2001 ws6

i disagree with 18'' wheels

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    i disagree with 18'' wheels
    Whys that??

You have more tire on a larger wheel. The only downside is if they weigh more, you'll have less unsprung weight, but modern aluminum wheels are pretty light to begin with. Doubt you'd notice much difference between a 17" and 18" wheel weight wise.

Look at any new performance car on the market, 18" is pretty much the minimum size these days.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

275/40/17s sidewalls flex very litttle as it is........im willing to bet u only lose ride quality with 18s and not gain any handling ..just my 2 cents

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

mods in sig.

btw, would my stock clutch and rear hold up against the extra power? I've got 71K.. might need a new clutch soon even though it seems fine. no track time and i use street tires.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

Red
    Vette,240sx,ls1 camaro

Cammed all the way!!!! Woot

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

build the suspension first, then add the big power.
    Black 02 Trans Am WS6 M6 SLP Lid, Bassani Stainless Headers & Y-Pipe w/o Cats, Borla Exhaust, BMR-STB, LCAs & Reloc. Brackets, Panhard Bar, & SFCs, Eibach Pro-kit With Bilsteins, BF Goodrich G Force KDWs, Optima Yellow Top, 5% Tint, Blackouts, Clear Side Lights, H-7 Headlights much more to come!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

*************thing is if you lower it you will also need LCA relocation brackets... and if you're doing that you might as well get adjustable LCA's... then you are also going to want to have your rear recentered and when that happens you're going to want a adjustable panhard rod...************

2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
    Black 2002 Trans Am WS6

do it right and get everything you need to build your suspension first, then start adding HP.

Thread Information