Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

newly painted calipers....new problem also

This is a discussion on newly painted calipers....new problem also within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by sirenformula350 yeah I bled them in that order. It just seemed like i bled them enough but ...

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    yeah I bled them in that order. It just seemed like i bled them enough but I guess not.
    I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but are you positive you got the calipers back on correctly? You didn't mix them up by chance? The bleeder valves are supposed to be pointing upward. If the bleeders are pointed downward, you can't bleed them correctly. Don't ask me how I know

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by DrkEagle View Post
    Looks awesome Siren, but as far as the TA on them, is that a sticker? And if so, is it some form of a heat sticker? And how do they still look? I'd like to do that to mine too but it's finding a hi heat sticker to put on em.
    yeah its a high heat decal I got it from a non sponsor PM me or email me and I'll tell you where to get them.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, but are you positive you got the calipers back on correctly? You didn't mix them up by chance? The bleeder valves are supposed to be pointing upward. If the bleeders are pointed downward, you can't bleed them correctly. Don't ask me how I know
    lol yeah i almost made that mistake. the front caliper bleeder valves are facing downward. and the back are on the top. but it think thats how its supposed to be.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Dumb question, but why did you bleed the brakes if you didn't adjust or replace any parts? I changed pads and rotors on my car recently and was told it wasn't necessary to bleed the brakes. I didn't bleed them and everything works great.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    Dumb question, but why did you bleed the brakes if you didn't adjust or replace any parts? I changed pads and rotors on my car recently and was told it wasn't necessary to bleed the brakes. I didn't bleed them and everything works great.
    I had this same question!?!? I plan on replacing my rotors and brake pads and someone one here said you didn't have to bleed the brakes! Do you or don't you?!?!?!?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You don't have to unbolt the brake lines to replace the pads and rotors. The original poster unbolted the brake lines and that let air into the lines. That is why he had to bleed them. As long as you don't unbolt the lines from the calipers, there is no need to bleed the system.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

Gotcha, that's what I thought.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

yeah I took the calipers off to paint them. My suggestion after all this crap I went through is if you are planning on painting them keep the calipers on and mask everything off you don't want to get paint on. Man...... that would have saved me a huge headache

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

That's what I did when I painted my calipers. I used the brush on caliper paint and it turned out well.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

High Heat Stickers

Quote Originally Posted by DrkEagle View Post
    Looks awesome Siren, but as far as the TA on them, is that a sticker? And if so, is it some form of a heat sticker? And how do they still look? I'd like to do that to mine too but it's finding a hi heat sticker to put on em.
    Hi Siren, Do you have info on the stickers? Are they all Silver or White? I could'nt tell from the pics. Hope you got your pedal back!!

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Rotor Paint

Quote Originally Posted by vannatte View Post
    That's what I did when I painted my calipers. I used the brush on caliper paint and it turned out well.
    Any recomendations on paint source, NAPA, etc.? Thanks!!

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

I just bought mine from murray's but I really don't think it matters where you get it. Just make sure its a high heat paint. The one I bought was good up to 500 degrees.

Black
    2001 T/A M6

I painted all my calipers when I replaced the brakes and rotors, But I didn't have to take the calipers off the line, I just let them dangle, there was no bleeding involded. when you take them off the rotor though, you have to decompress the caliper pistons, the front are dual piston and the rear are single piston. the easiest way is to take the old brake pad ( if your changing pads that is ) get a C-Clamp style of vice grip and place the pad over the pistons and tighten the clamp down, eventually after you do all 4 some brake fluid will probably seep out of the brake resevoir, but thats ok, all you gotta do is add some more fluid back to it if enough comes out, mine didn't even have to have any added back, my brakes work just as good as before.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information