Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Newbie Regarding Exhaust Setup

This is a discussion on Newbie Regarding Exhaust Setup within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by blackbird0230 I have absolutely no problem with the Texas speed Headers, they came built well, shiny as ...

Black
    2001 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    I have absolutely no problem with the Texas speed Headers, they came built well, shiny as polished stainless. but their Y pipe sucks ass. I would buy their true duals but theyre cut before the axel and it's LOUD. cool if you like noise ordinance tickets....
    They are only loud at WOT. Idling I can barly hear it. Cursing around town isn't loud at all. My cutout was 10x louder.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Personally I wouldn't buy the Texas Speed headers, not stainless.

red
    2001t/a ws6 firdbrid

Smile think about this...............

this is what i thing, unless your a get the hookers 17/8 long tune
    headers, thu a slp, loud mouth back.... good for a lot of power...
    for about 900.00........... them, warrior....

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have QTP headers and love the fit and finish. I have a SLP PowerFlo Catback on my car. But if u want True Duals we did a nice setup on my friends Formula with some Hooker headers I had sitting around and had my friend who own a Midas make a custom dual exhaust setup with Dynomax Bullets and it sounded awsome and umped at the axle. he charge my buddy like $300 for the mufflers, piping and welding them up with some turndowns.
    You could do it all the way back with some extra piping I thing my friend payed like 4600 to do duals from the header to rear bumper but I think he had spiral flows. Now you can use the muffler you like best and just find a good local shop that does alot of custom work and has the proper machines for bending the pipe and it should be good.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by chknhwk01 View Post
    this is what i thing, unless your a get the hookers 17/8 long tune
    headers, thu a slp, loud mouth back.... good for a lot of power...
    for about 900.00........... them, warrior....
    I'm old and I have a loud (well sorta loud) exhaust on my car...

See sig for details...

<----- Actual age...
    67 Camaro: K-K + 797-z (look it up), 454/Th400/4.10 12-bolt = 6mpg, PS/PDB/PW tilt, tach, gauges...

2005 Corvette LS2/M6 Magnetic Red Metallic (What else would it be?) w/ Cashmere interior

2002 Z28: NBM/Tan, MTI smooth lid, smooth bellows, !AIR, !cats, 1-3/4" QTP SS LT's, 2-1/2" TD's with X-pipe, MagnaFlows dumped at axle, custom welded SFC's, MidWest Chassis body mount adjustable T/A, 3400 stall, 3.23 gears (was 2.73). Tuned: 343rwhp/357rwt (before TD's). Best: 12.559 @ 108+, 1.73 60' @ 3500' DA w/MT ET Street DR's.

Carbon footprint? CLOWN SHOE!

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Texas speeds y sits back from stock location about 4"!! With the 3" diameter in the piping I can no longer run the factory tunnel brace. Plus the driver side hangs down ugly on mine. Custom is the way to go. That and it gets u away from exhaust leaksa

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

For comparison, the Kooks Y sits nice and tight to the underbody and matches perfectly with the mid-pipe on the catback. Has not bottomed out and does not hit the underbody. Granted, I spent quite a bit of time adjusting the position on install but the results were worth the effort.

silver
    2002 Trans AM

I decided to go with the Kooks 1 7/8 LT's. I figured for a few more dollars I'd get the SS and the one year warranty with them. I had the same headers on my TBSS a few years back and really liked them. Going with a custom true dual over the axle but haven't decided what mufflers I'm going with yet. I'm 43 and eventhough this is not going to be my DD I don't want an exhaust that's going to be annoyingly loud. Also purchased adjustable torque arm, pan hard bar, sfc's and lower control arms from BMR. Will replace the shocks when I change rotors since they're getting pretty thin. Next up in Nov. will be a cam and maybe heads if I have the money. Question, since I have the LS6 intake (I think) is it really worth it to change out to a Fast intake when I do the cam. Seems like a lot of money (intake and throttle body) for not much of a hp gain but want to put a fairly large cam in.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by azkass View Post
    I'm 43 and even though this is not going to be my DD I don't want an exhaust that's going to be annoyingly loud.

I turn 43 next month... does that mean I'll have to quit running our car with the cutout wide open all the time?

silver
    2002 Trans AM

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I turn 43 next month... does that mean I'll have to quit running our car with the cutout wide open all the time?
    My kids wouldn't near my truck and that was headers into a y pipe with a fairly mellow Magnaflow. Might have to think about cut outs though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information