Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

imperialpilotx

Hey guys,

I have wanted an LS1 WS6 TA ever since seeing that stop light commercial in 98.

I have always been partial to Trans Ams since my mom had a black/gold 79, that we sold in 96.

I now am making the money where im strongly considering saving like 10-14K for next summer.. and buying my dream car.

I was considering a C5, but for some reason a Trans Am just fits me better.

Anything else I should know when looking ?

basically Im looking for a Black WS6 ( i dont think there is a more sinister looking car than that combo ) with 6 speed, thats about all I care about for now haha. Do you think I should opt for the 6 speed ? etc.

Monsoon sound wouldnt be bad.. but anyways

any help on any important information on these 4th gens would be helpful.

and also do you think 10-14K would be enough to get me a decent one ? I could always possibly get financed for a few thousand if i didnt have enough.

Black
    02 Z06

your price range should be able to afford you a very decent ws6. It's going to have 50,000 miles + . Just do your reshearch and shop around. Always do a carfax . Make sure the RPO codes are still on the drivers door and look for the ws6 code to make sure it's a real one not a clone. Other then that theres really nothing else to look for other then all the obvious stuff you look at when your shopping for a new car.

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Just hit up www.autotrader.com , thats what I used. I'm actually in the midst of getting me a black 02 WS6 with an A4. You can actually find them with under 50k miles on them, I did on autotrader. Try to get a post 2000 LS1 if you can, the 98-99 were a little underpowered. All the 02's came with LS6 intakes

imperialpilotx
    Hmm thats a new one, ill keep that in mind

So what do you think is better A4 or M6.. I know that technically automatics with better convertors/shift kits etc, can be better for drag, but do you think M6 is more fun ?

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    I like the A4 because its one of the better tranny's that GM has come out with. I had an A4 in my 02 Z and it rocked for the 1/8th mile.

imperialpilotx
    but what power levels do you think it needs to be stronger.. 450+ or so ?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'm selling one for 13 k =)

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Does anyone have that commercial?

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Just hit up www.autotrader.com , thats what I used. I'm actually in the midst of getting me a black 02 WS6 with an A4. You can actually find them with under 50k miles on them, I did on autotrader. Try to get a post 2000 LS1 if you can, the 98-99 were a little underpowered. All the 02's came with LS6 intakes
    98-00 T/A were the same. 01-02s are the ones that have the "mighty LS6 intakes".

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Personally I've driven daily both an A4 and an M6 A4 being my good friend's and the M6 being mine. My car isn't stock anymore and is far from being underpowered considering I blew the 98 block years ago. But 4 years ago I got my 98 with 36k on the clock for 17k. Insurance wise, the 98's for some reason are cheaper and IMO a good build year. The motors are not underpowered, it just lacks the ls6 manifold and still has the EGR going into the manifold. The valve covers are perimeter bolt, but when it comes to modding, you can get 98 heads far cheaper than 01 and 02's and some parts ie, lid, are cheaper. In 98, the t/a's came with larger injectors and a less restrictive exhaust system. Most 98's you'll find out there will have an aftermarket exhaust because the orginal design was a single tip exhaust on the left. There are small variances between the years and you should do your research before diving into one. As far as the A4 M6 deal, I love my M6. I had the tranny rebuilt for racing and it's nice. With an A4, they're not too fun in the twisties. Plus I hated dropping the A4 into neutral everytime I wanted to throw a rev. Do your research though and shop around. You'll find a deal. BTW, Dipherentdesign, damn you for selling your car!
    98 WS6 M6 ASC #2647
    Forged Custom 408 w/Vortec YSi

imperialpilotx
    thanks for the insight..

so basically 98 is a pretty solid year ( plus i should find them cheaper ) even better if its cheaper to build up than the later years.

I dunno maybe i wont be so picky about the transmission, either way it will probably be fun as hell.

PS here are the videos.. that struck me like lightning, now quite a few years ago.

There were 3 major ones.

edit: nvm.. i need 10 posts or more.

enjoy. I believe those were in 98' too. When I first saw the insane new styling of the Ram air WS6 package i went nuts. I also love the dual head lights, in the dark when they show it pull up, doesnt it kind of look like a second Gen TA ? like a 77-78 clashed with a 79 even lol

so bad ass.

The only problem with the 98s are the PCM (computer). I guess they don't repond as good as the 99-02 ones do. I havn't heard anyone haveing any problems with it though. Maybe on a wild setup.

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by _JB_
    98-00 T/A were the same. 01-02s are the ones that have the "mighty LS6 intakes".
    Don't forget that 10% of the '01 and 25% of the '02 came with an LS6 block as well. I have one! Oh the '01-'02's also had the C5's clutch and pressure plate as well.

Tx_Rice_Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by my1973form
    Don't forget that 10% of the '01 and 25% of the '02 came with an LS6 block as well. I have one! Oh the '01-'02's also had the C5's clutch and pressure plate as well.
    How do you find out if it has an LS6 block? I have an 02 WS6

Black Beast 1 badblack transam 01's Avatar

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I have a black 01 a4 ws6. I love it. I would most certainly go for the a4 in my opinion but thats just me. But shop around and u can find a great ride for a cheaper price than u think. My car is a 20,000 dollar car but has been T-boned and that kills about 25% value so I got for 14,000 after the guy fixed it back. In other words make sure the car is solid and u wont have ne problems.

Dreamin of a Paint Job... XtinKt's Avatar

Silver
    2000 WS6 Trans Am

i bought mine off ebay. $15,500 37K on the clock. Summer time is a good time to buy on ebay. It is their slow season. GL and let us know if we can help you out any.

GTOPT
    Welcome to the club

Black
    99 SS

on the 98's have the rod bolts replaced that is there weakness!!!!

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Tx_Rice_Hunter
    How do you find out if it has an LS6 block? I have an 02 WS6
    To comfirm if your 2001-2002 F-body has an LS6 block grab a mirror and a flashlight and open the hood and on the driver side try to see the back of the left hand deck, above the transmissiom flange there is cast-in # on the block a 12561168 denotes a LS6 block. I guess there is a couple other ways to check but not sure how accurate it is; the block luster on the LS1 is shinner than the LS6 as the LS6 is duller, and a stronger block, plus it breaths 87% better ventalition bay to bay with less pumping loss at high RPM. Regardless of the fact that there was no offical power increase (HP), the durability of the LS6 block had been increased dramatically over the LS1 block. The last way to check is a bulls-eye on the block along the side of the water pump on both sides below the head, if it has a bulls-eye it's a LS1, no bulls-eye a LS6 block. The most accrate way to know is to check the block # at the driver side cast-in #12561168. hope this helps.

2002 Trans Am CE

My best advice would be to be patient. There are plenty of Trans Ams for sale out there, so take your time doing research and getting info on specific ones that interest you. Whenever I found one I liked, I checked Kelly Blue Book, Edmunds, and NADA to get an idea of the value, and then I'd check out the vehicle in person. Like TransAmMan said, check for the usual stuff. My wife and I checked out this gorgeous black TA with immaculate beige interior, but it turned out to have a pretty serious fuel problem, so don't judge a book by its cover! Sadly, there are quite a few T/A's out there that have been beat down pretty bad by previous owners. And oh yeah, Collector's Edition doesn't make up for major faults!

Thread Information