Red
    2002 WS6

Question New WS6....please help!!

Ok I have been looking for a WS6 for about 3 months now in the Houston, TX area and finally came across one that is in perfect condition. It is a 2002 WS6, AT, w/ 29K on it. The interior is flawless and still has the Factory new car smell and the plastic is still wrapped around the rear floor mats. the Exterior of the car is also perfect...the paint has not one chip, scratch, ding, or imperfection in the paint and the wheels are like brand new with the factor tires still on the wheels (about 50% tread left) The car seems to drive fine but I have also never driven a WS6 before. I have it for today to drive aroudn and see what I think...please tell me some things to look out for/ listen for as far as the drivetrain, tranny, and motor....and also how its supposed to ride.

I want to take it to a mechanic today and have the whole car overlooked, what are some things you think I should tell them to look for and check. I noticed the rear end or something in the rear making a slight whining noise as I let off the gas and it is coasting.

Also do you think it is a big NO getting this car with an Auto. Tans.?

Thanks guys!!

Red
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Stankeric View Post
    Ok I have been looking for a WS6 for about 3 months now in the Houston, TX area and finally came across one that is in perfect condition. It is a 2002 WS6, AT, w/ 29K on it. The interior is flawless and still has the Factory new car smell and the plastic is still wrapped around the rear floor mats. the Exterior of the car is also perfect...the paint has not one chip, scratch, ding, or imperfection in the paint and the wheels are like brand new with the factor tires still on the wheels (about 50% tread left) The car seems to drive fine but I have also never driven a WS6 before. I have it for today to drive aroudn and see what I think...please tell me some things to look out for/ listen for as far as the drivetrain, tranny, and motor....and also how its supposed to ride.

I want to take it to a mechanic today and have the whole car overlooked, what are some things you think I should tell them to look for and check. I noticed the rear end or something in the rear making a slight whining noise as I let off the gas and it is coasting.

Also do you think it is a big NO getting this car with an Auto. Tans.?

Thanks guys!!

Here a picture I snapped of it this morning.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I just bought mine a couple months ago. 17k miles, silver, '02, GM Certified, A4, flawless condition. Picked it up in Evansville, IN for $18,500 (It was stickered at $23,880). The ride is a bit rough on these cars, but the power is great. Some people prefer manual shift, I like automatics myself.

Take the car to a mechanic for an inspection to find out about the whine, and to check for problems. You'll have to pay for it but it will be cheaper than any problems down the road, and it may be something you can get the dealer to fix before you buy...
    Last edited by jag42420; 10-19-2006 at 06:21 AM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

That's the color that I wanted to get, but couldn't find one that was quite right. I like the M6, but if you don't mind the A4 then you'll be good with it. If your really into drag racing the the A4 will be better, but I just think the M6 is alot more fun on the street. Not to mention on how they sound with a good exhaust when you let off. Just make sure you check the door tag for the WS6 code. It looks like a nice car!

Red
    2002 WS6

What are some major pinpoints to have to the mechanic look at?

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'd check for any damage underneath to make sure it wasn't crashed and the usual stuff that would be checked for any other car.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Stankeric View Post
    What are some major pinpoints to have to the mechanic look at?
    if the rear end is DRIPPING fluid then your rear is in trouble. i doubt it will...but some dampness is normal on these rear ends so dont get scared...um make sure the door gaps line up. make sure the headlights work (up and down) without sticking or grinding...door panels arent cracked. thats about it..doesnt the rear whine alil durring coasting anyways? so i wouldnt be too worried. when you drive it..go through all the gears and make sure everything is shifting well. make sure the t-tops are lined up and no gaps...but pretty much with the condition of the car and the low milage i doubt anything will be wrong.
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Mine is to noisy to hear if the rear whines a little or not. Once you get it you should change fluids & shocks anyway.

My car is identical to the one you're buying, including the A4. Having owned an M6 before I can tell you that the A4 is much easier to get around town, especially if you live in a high trafic area. No doubt that the M6 is fun though. I just prefer to nail it whenever I want now and not rowing through the gears. I also think Milkman has given you some good advice. Make sure the t-tops, oil pan and rear end don't leak, that the doors, hood, and rear hatch are lined up. You might also want to drive behind it for a couple of miles to ensure that there's been no chassis damage (in other words it doesn't look like it's "crabbing"). Good choice. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

White
    06 350Z & 02 WS6

I just bought a balck one from North Texas nissan this month 02 WS6 with 2700 miles on it (yeah 2,700 miles). they carry all kinds of performance cars and always have a good looking WS6 on the lot.

i wouldn't buy another low mileage ta unless the fuel system was completely checked from tank to lines to fuel rail for rust.Ask me how i know?We bought a 1 owner car that only hads few thous miles on it and was stored every winter.Unfortuneatly gm didn't protect the fuel system at all,its made from bare carbon steel.Any car that sits alot can have serious damage quickly from oxygenated fuels.Please have the lines and the fuel rail inspected.Only take a few mins,could save you 3500 dollars or so.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

check your valvetrain for sure as well

White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

If you are planning on racing I would go with the auto and put a converter in it.

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

i havnt heard this issue brought up on this site but b4 i got my 02 SS, i had a v6 camaro vert, and it also had that whining noise in the rear... i asked the dealer and the mech what it was, and they both said that Fbods are notorious for that same issue, i have no idea what it is but the V6 ran like a little beast that they are lol,,,,but now with the SS,,,,yeah the SAME noise! wierd huh! and it also runs like the CHAMP that LS1's are!

bs on the notorious whine.Whine just means the rear wasn't setup properly from the factory.I've fixed many of them,funny how they don't whine once setup properly.

2001 WS6, 2003 SRT4(sold)

And how'd you fix it?

its very easy believe it or not,just set up the gears properly.Its that simple.

Red
    '02 WS6

Lower gears (higher numerical #) will be more noisier then stock but should not whine. So is it an actual whine or is it more of a low roar?

Thread Information