Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Triple Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

New Trans Am, now where to start?

Hey everyone. I just bought a new 2001 ws6 trans am with SLP headers and SLP loudmouth exhaust and im trying to decided on what to do next. I do not really know much about engines and such or what parts do right now so thats why i'm trying to learn.

I pretty much want the car to handle great and add a few extra horsepower so i can knock those corvettes out of the water

Thanks guys for taking your time to read this and anyone who lives in the Washington DC area let me know cause i live around there

Awaiting Activation

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6 D1SC

First off let me say congrats! These are great cars and you'll be very happy you chose it! There are a lot of things you can do to make the car handle better and add some hp. Check out the SLP air lid as your next mod and just keep on the forum and you'll learn everything you need to know. Everyone here is very helpful.

Formula Driver! 96Firebirdformula's Avatar

Batman Black
    1996 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmlover90 View Post
    Hey everyone. I just bought a new 2001 ws6 trans am with SLP headers and SLP loudmouth exhaust and im trying to decided on what to do next. I do not really know much about engines and such or what parts do right now so thats why i'm trying to learn.

I pretty much want the car to handle great and add a few extra horsepower so i can knock those corvettes out of the water

Thanks guys for taking your time to read this and anyone who lives in the Washington DC area let me know cause i live around there
    manual? or Automatic?

Firebird99

metallic blue
    1999 pontiac firebird

how much you lookin to spend on parts? if u got some money get some heads

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

SubFrame Connectors

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

you say you want to be able to take on vettes well that depends on what year vettes because our cars can knock (as you say) some vettes and wont hold a candle to others. gears and a tune are next.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

For starters, I'd ditch the SLP Headers for some Pacesetters...You won't be able to lower the car (handling) with those SLPs on there.

Check out the Eastern Members Section, us Marylanders are trying to get together at least once a month (last months was in Rockville). Hope to see you at the next one.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Triple Black

Thanks for the posts guys =D That was quick hahaha. So theres subframe connectors, gears + tune, pacesetter headers, SLP lid and new heads.

The car is a M6.

Money is and isnt a big deal...cause im 17 years old so i dont have to pay for living yet thank god but i do have to buy all the parts and get them installed myself.

I used to have a 1994 pontiac trans am 25th anniversary edition that was completely stock and in mint condition but then some silly girl who got her liscense 3 days before decided to pull out and totaled mine (luckily her insurance gave me enough to buy this car cause it was her fault). I tried to make that meeting last week but my car hadn't come yet =(

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hope to see you at the next get together

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    first i suggest you keep it the way it is for a while. you are 17, which means no experience on driving powerful cars. an LS1 stock will kill a lot of 17 year olds, let alone modded ones. I say get used to it for a few months and learn your car all the way and then slowly do a couple mods at a time and get used to the power if you wanna live longer.

Red
    1996 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post
    first i suggest you keep it the way it is for a while. you are 17, which means no experience on driving powerful cars. an LS1 stock will kill a lot of 17 year olds, let alone modded ones. I say get used to it for a few months and learn your car all the way and then slowly do a couple mods at a time and get used to the power if you wanna live longer.
    I concur with doodad. Unless you are like me and have been racing since age 8 I highly doubt you'll know what to do with even the horsepower you have now. My suggestion: work on the body only right now, get some seat time and take it out to a nearby track after 8-10 months of driving it and get a few laps down the strip in it or on a road course. After you've gotten a feel for your car's real power then, if you want, begin adding performance mods. But after feeling a LS1's power you may decide that you have enough and your money is better spent making the car look better (more valuable unless your a racer) than run faster (a LS1 Firebird could easily reach speeds of 175 without redlining if you could take the speed limiter off)

My cousin in Ocala was killed in a 94 Firebird when he spun out and hit a tree killing him and his passenger both. I should ask my aunt if she still has the pictures and post them.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

lets see some pics

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post
    I agree accept buying suspension upgrades would help him keep control.

Get the sub frame connectors if you only have $2-300 to put into the car. But if you can afford it, get Koni struts and Sam Strano springs instead. Clearance wouldn't be good with those headers, but in Maryland I don't think that would matter.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Psychosis View Post
    I agree accept buying suspension upgrades would help him keep control.

Get the sub frame connectors if you only have $2-300 to put into the car. But if you can afford it, get Koni struts and Sam Strano springs instead. Clearance wouldn't be good with those headers, but in Maryland I don't think that would matter.
    F**king s**tty a** roads

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Welcome. You should join EFA too. http://easternfbody.com/easternfbody/

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nhrabracketracer View Post
    I concur with doodad. Unless you are like me and have been racing since age 8 I highly doubt you'll know what to do with even the horsepower you have now. My suggestion: work on the body only right now, get some seat time and take it out to a nearby track after 8-10 months of driving it and get a few laps down the strip in it or on a road course. After you've gotten a feel for your car's real power then, if you want, begin adding performance mods. But after feeling a LS1's power you may decide that you have enough and your money is better spent making the car look better (more valuable unless your a racer) than run faster (a LS1 Firebird could easily reach speeds of 175 without redlining if you could take the speed limiter off)

My cousin in Ocala was killed in a 94 Firebird when he spun out and hit a tree killing him and his passenger both. I should ask my aunt if she still has the pictures and post them.

I couldnt Agree more, As a Profecional driver (Class A licence with Hazmat and tanker) i coulnt agree more with nhraracer, especially at a young age, get used to the car and how it handles, and please dont be racing on the streets there's alot of innocent people and pedestriands. and at night i just get worse. take care of youreself and be safe.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I'd also have to agree with these guys. Tackle handling & suspension before you start adding power. That way you'll be able to get all of that future HP to the ground efficiently. If it were me, I'd start with the SLP lid & a K&N filter (relatively cheap & easy), then go with some subframe connectors (the weld-on style) & a Spohn adjustable torque arm. The last two parts prevent the body flex I'm sure longtime owners know and love. Less body flex = more power to the ground + better handling.

I'm not sure how much you know about cars, but owning a beauty like the WS6 is a good learning experience. Take the time to read up & do some of the simple work yourself. That new horsepower just seems sweeter if you worked to install the parts yourself.

Triple Black

Thanks JCws6, that really sounds great. I really want to do alot of the workmyself, i just have completely no idea how to do anything. So im going to go to the next regional meeting.

And thanks everyone for looking out for my health. I had my 94 LT1 for about 9 months before the accident, and i got very good at driving it because it is my every day driver car. So, i learned a lot about fishtailing. I just wanted to point out tho that even tho i am 17 years old, i took one of the best driving courses ever to get my license. It was taught by either current or retired police officers so they taught us a lot of defensive driving techniques as well as a bunch of "advanced" techniques like heel and toe and rev matching. I know i am young but i think i do have a good feel for 340HP because i could move that other trans am like butter. Not trying to make myself look good or anything, just letting you know on my background.

I have some photos now that i can put up of the car

Triple Black

oh, 1 more thing, when # wise is good point to shift on the WS6? It has slp headers and such so im not really sure where i should push it at. I normally shifted my LT1 around 3.5k rpm -4k rpm. I have heard though of people pushing up to 6k so it would be awsome of someone could clear that up for me. =D

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

^ You would shift near 6K (not sure on exact number fo manual) when racing it. When just cruising, probably 2500-3000 would be best gas mileage wise.

Thread Information