N/A
    N/A

New Owner (to be) - Questions about Trans Ams

Hello All,
    I do not currently own a 5th Gen but I am in the market. I was wondering what I should look for when searching for my F-body. I know I wans a WS-6 6 speed. Other than that, I am open. What problems should I look for? Which years should I avoid? I'd like to get a 2002 since they usually have less miles. Please let me know anything you guys/gals can think of. My wife has had 2 Pontiacs in the past (Sunfire and Grnad Am GT)and both fell apart on her. I would like to think that the Firebirds where better built than those 2 but I am still hesitant.

Thanks
    Dave

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

G'day and welcome to the site, David. Check out this thread - http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/
    It's not how fast you can go. It's how fast you can get there.

Follow us at www.facebook.com/RGCustoms

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

The power windows and radio speakers stink but overall they are not bad.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

So, you're in the market for a 4th gen, right?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site! Check out the link to the thread posted in the first reply - lots of good info in there on what to look for. If you have any specific questions, let us know. Good luck!

Silver
    2001 Trans Am WS6

One thing I didn't see in the referenced thread is checking the power steering fluid. The power steering heat exchanger (cooler) on the WS6 and SS is notorious for leaking engine coolant into the power steering fluid. Been there, done that! The first sign of any problem for me was a small power steering whine during long sweeping turns, like a highway on/off ramp. I removed the factory heat exchanger and replaced it with a dedicated fin and tube cooler following the guidence of a LS1.com post. Fortunately caught the problem before if got expensive.
    Good shopping!

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

I've actually owned multiple 'low end' pontiacs too and none has fallen apart on me. Guess I was lucky

Like previously mentioned, the power widnows are the first thing I checked, mine needed replaced about 2 weeks after I bought it.
    Obviously, make sure the clutch works well, I shouldn't need to explain those types of details.
    Make sure the headlights don't grind or act funny, the factory gears as plastic and tend to break at least once over the lifetime of the vehicle.
    Turn signals tend fo blow frequently, granted there's things to address that, not really a deal breaker.
    Make sure all the body panels line up well and there aren't any signs of accidents.

I guess Most are just normal car stuff, not really 4th gen specifics. you'll love it Welcome to the site.

Thread Information