NBM
    2000 WS-6

New mod - Free engine bay heat extractor

I removed the weather stripping below the windshield wipers. I figure since I wash under the hood all the time, I don't need this strip to keep water out. I'm sure it lets a lot of heat out when moving. What do you think? Any gains?
    Smasher

2000 WS-6, NBM, BGRA, Clear Lid, Delphi MAF, Bobbit EGR, FLP Long Tubes, SLP Loudmouth, STB, SFC, EradiSpeed rotors, Fire Hawks, and lots of Zaino

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

I doubt you'll see anything noticable. Might even cause problems with debris entering the engine compartment. Might be fine, too. I wouldn't expect a difference though.

NBM
    2000 WS-6

I was looking at the Firehawk hood that has the two extractors and I thought if they have them, there must be a reason.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Aesthetics, mainly.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Also remember that strip helps protect the PCM from water too.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i tohught about doing this a while back... you can end up with water polling on electronics that shouldn't get soaked... gains would be possible but minimal... if you want super heat extractors buy a mecham titan hood...

NBM
    2000 WS-6

I've got a nice WS6 hood. Thought about making holes in it...., but changed my mind. I hose down the PCM and all other electronics regularly, so not worried. Does the LS1 engine make more power if it's cooled better?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Not with heat extractors. With lowering the fan settings and a cooler t-stat.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by smasher View Post
    I've got a nice WS6 hood. Thought about making holes in it...., but changed my mind. I hose down the PCM and all other electronics regularly, so not worried. Does the LS1 engine make more power if it's cooled better?
    i

i hose down my enigne bay as well, but several members here have had problems... all gas powered engines will run better when cooled better...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

future candidate for a "my knock sensors are bad" thread. It's only a matter of time before you get water where water isn't supposed to be. The gains (if there are any) aren't worth the risk. Here's another one too......there's been instances where that weatherstip has leaked and allowed water to puddle on the intake. A bad injector seal let water into the cylinder. They turned the key and "boom" rod through the block. Just food for thought.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I had a bad seal on my PCM last december. Water got into the PCM and it did all sorts of "wonders" for the engine. Including clogging both cats from not burning fuel correctly at times due to issues the PCM kept causing. Plus the on top of that my mechanic replaced seals on the intake all new spark plugs and a couple other things before we realized what the issue was. Which set me back another couple hundred. At least the car got a nice tune up out of it. I could of bought a nice set of headers or a true dual exhaust fixing all the problems a little water caused.
    Last edited by raynor139; 07-19-2011 at 02:45 PM.

NBM
    2000 WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I had a bad seal on my PCM last december. Water got into the PCM and it did all sorts of "wonders" for the engine. Including clogging both cats from not burning fuel correctly at times due to issues the PCM kept causing. Plus the on top of that my mechanic replaced seals on the intake all new spark plugs and a couple other things before we realized what the issue was. Which set me back another couple hundred. At least the car got a nice tune up out of it. I could of bought a nice set of headers or a true dual exhaust fixing all the problems a little water caused.
    So you had water problems, even tho you didn't remove the weather strip. Does your car see the winter season? I'm wondering where you got all the water? I've had the weather strip removed since 2000, without any problems; but it never sees the winter driving season.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    future candidate for a "my knock sensors are bad" thread. It's only a matter of time before you get water where water isn't supposed to be. The gains (if there are any) aren't worth the risk. Here's another one too......there's been instances where that weatherstip has leaked and allowed water to puddle on the intake. A bad injector seal let water into the cylinder. They turned the key and "boom" rod through the block. Just food for thought.

^^ This.

Thread Information