New Member Buying TA/WS6

Hello guys, My name is Jake im a new member here but been following the boards on a lot of subjects, Im recently in a position to buy a toy/play car that will be driven 2-3 days a week to work and back or a small cruise to gatlinburg. My budget is about 8K, I have found a few cars locally and would ask opinions from you guys since you all know your stuff.

---1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula; Trans Am auto
    This One I have Drove, Put on a Lift and Hooked a Scanner to and checked engine history, ALL checked out however the traction control panel is broke, dash is cracked bad, and theres some noise at Rotor speed when turning, not under acceleration, rear end felt fine and hooked up great my mechanic said ... probably has set a while on the lot

2000 Pontiac Trans-AM
    This one im going to go look at next few days and look into a few things about it (needs tires tho) the rest im not 100% sure on talked to the guy he run the shit out of it, sounded like

trans am ram air ws6 package
    This one im looking at tomorrow, lady is 2nd owner she bought it in 01 with 8400 miles on it, clearcoat on the WS6 hood has faded she said, it is a 6 speed ( More stuff to break ..... )

Anyone know of any WS6/TA for sale around Tricities, Asheville, or Knoxville for about 8k **actually i Can spend 11K but want to try to find a car under that price**

Guys I Really Appreciate any and all advice given in advance thanks so much
    Last edited by Predator220; 06-05-2012 at 01:30 PM.

black
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Predator220 View Post
    Hello guys, My name is Jake im a new member here but been following the boards on a lot of subjects, Im recently in a position to buy a toy/play car that will be driven 2-3 days a week to work and back or a small cruise to gatlinburg. My budget is about 8K, I have found a few cars locally and would ask opinions from you guys since you all know your stuff.

---1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula; Trans Am auto
    This One I have Drove, Put on a Lift and Hooked a Scanner to and checked engine history, ALL checked out however the traction control panel is broke, dash is cracked bad, and theres some noise at Rotor speed when turning, not under acceleration, rear end felt fine and hooked up great my mechanic said ... probably has set a while on the lot

2000 Pontiac Trans-AM
    This one im going to go look at next few days and look into a few things about it (needs tires tho) the rest im not 100% sure on talked to the guy he run the shit out of it, sounded like

trans am ram air ws6 package
    This one im looking at tomorrow, lady is 2nd owner she bought it in 01 with 8400 miles on it, clearcoat on the WS6 hood has faded she said, it is a 6 speed ( More stuff to break ..... )

Anyone know of any WS6/TA for sale around Tricities, Asheville, or Knoxville for about 8k **actually i Can spend 11K but want to try to find a car under that price**

Guys I Really Appreciate any and all advice given in advance thanks so much

The black six speed i believe it is, looks real nice not a bad price.. and to me an untouched ta is the way to go

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Tough call on those. Don't care for white or pewter, but the black one has the most miles on it. Having said that, look and see which car checks out visually and mechanically and has been cared for. That'll be the one to go with.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 06-05-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

1999 TransAm

None are a good deal. Too much money for the miles...They want 10k for the first one with 93,000 miles. wow.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Here's some good info on buying an F-body: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

First one is way overpriced.

Second one, who knows if the guy would actually turn the car on every now and then. If he wouldn't fix two flats on it then who knows what else he hasn't fixed on the car

Third one seems to be the better of the three but still too much for the miles, a lady driving it though seems like it was driven easy but who knows if she kept up with the maintenance...

I would keep searching

1999 Pontiac Firehawk, T-tops Pewter...air box....leather interior...bought off showroom floor...Original owner...150k highway miles...runs like new...custom exhaust...Asking $8,000 .... just posted today in our forum for sale, he sent pics and everything looks pretty good, all oil changed with Synthetic at 3k, all highway miles, ....... should I be worried about 150K on a LS1, i know the damn LT1 my dad had in his 94 Z28 lasted him well over 250K before even thinking about rebuilding, but he did sell it

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Go look at the 'Hawk. Pretty rare car. Check the wheels close, the chrome on the factory wheels likes to peel off, you could reduce the price that way. I would not be worried about 150k, especially if it drives nice and no SES light on.

1999 TransAm

The Hawk would have way too many miles for the price for me to consider, even with its rarity. I would hold out for a low mileage, well maintained sample. Keep looking and don't settle. Don't be in a rush... It may take some time to find the right one, but you will know when the right one comes along.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In regard to engines that have high miles. These engines are not the same as the 80's, 70's and so on. If the motor has been maintain and the car looks it IMHO I'd seriously consider the Firehawk.

It comes down to what you want and how you plan on driving it. By this I mean...

You want a collectors car that will see few miles - then low mileage is what you want, but understand that unless it's a uber rare car I can't see our beloved cars being very high in value to collectors.

You are going to drive it 300 < miles per week then a car in the low 70's to 100's is ok. Should still have life left in motor to go for a while before you will need to start replacing stuff.

Car is going to be a track car - mileage means absolutely nothing because if you want a track car, you're going to gut the interior, pull the motor & trans and build something bigger. I'll even toss in exterior looks into this category for the same reasons. After all the modding you'll need to repaint anyways.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Take your time,you'll find the car thats just right for you,im going through the same thing looking for a decent LS1 Camaro for a reasonable price,my search is kind of hard because i want leather,ttops & auto trans so im still looking,but you'll find one

thanks guys im gonna keep looking but i am defiantly gonna check the firehawk out, sounds like a decent ride

Well guys im in pretty good feelings about the Firehawk, Everything seems to check out and as long as the owner isnt lying his ass off , which I doubt from the looks of the car. Its been garaged babied and used on road trip by the wife, all service records look good. even with a 150k im not gonna worry too much im only gonna have a small loan from the bank since a insurance company is paying for half of the car and my truck that got hit still drives fine. So the hawk will be garaged and driven on off days for a few years. Then maybe ill get the bug to tear the motor down for my first rebuild and see just how much fun we can have with it. Anything I need to check for when I drive it that would be a for sure no buy ?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Ask to see if he has the "birth certificate" from SLP. They were given out to the owners of "Firehawks"

If he doesn't have one you can call SLP and give the VIN # and they will confirm if it is legit. They may be able to send you a new "birth certificate" if the original is lost.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Just drive the car and listen for any rear differential noises. That'd be my biggest concern. Check for proper AC operation. Look at the condition of fluids. Maybe pay for an inspection at a shop. See how the engine sounds, any dash lights on, and how it shifts. And again, look closely at the wheels, if they are OE. Chrome comes off those.

Thread Information