Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

New to ls1...few questions

This is a discussion on New to ls1...few questions within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; dexcool is bad, its ok for 30 k but not good for 90 k, after 50 or so it will ...

black trans am

dexcool is bad, its ok for 30 k but not good for 90 k, after 50 or so it will start geting thick and breaking down and will also start rusting and cloging the cooling sysyem, the best coolent that u can buy is toyota pink, the stuff does not break down and it has evey advantage as dexcool and "green stuff" as for me i just run green stuff and some watter wetter i also have a 160 stat and my car is at 170 ish while im driving but if in stitting at a red light i still have to wait till the fans kick on at 210 if it get a lil bit hotter no big deal the block and heads are make of the same thing there for expznd at the same rate saving head gaskets, now if u had a lt1 i might look in to it b/c the block is iron and has alum heads wich can eat head gaskets but nethar car has any problem with them so no big deal

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdbrain89 View Post
    dexcool is bad, its ok for 30 k but not good for 90 k, after 50 or so it will start geting thick and breaking down and will also start rusting and cloging the cooling sysyem, the best coolent that u can buy is toyota pink, the stuff does not break down and it has evey advantage as dexcool and "green stuff" as for me i just run green stuff and some watter wetter i also have a 160 stat and my car is at 170 ish while im driving but if in stitting at a red light i still have to wait till the fans kick on at 210 if it get a lil bit hotter no big deal the block and heads are make of the same thing there for expznd at the same rate saving head gaskets, now if u had a lt1 i might look in to it b/c the block is iron and has alum heads wich can eat head gaskets but nethar car has any problem with them so no big deal
    And we can believe you because you can spell and use correct punctuation? How can you back up your claim?

White
    2000 T/A WS6

Interesting artical on the Dex-cool lawsuit...
    http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html

Bullit Silver
    1999 Pontiac

The truth is the coolent all depends on where you live...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 2KWS6TA View Post
    Interesting artical on the Dex-cool lawsuit...
    http://www.girardgibbs.com/dexcool.html
    Thanks! Interesting to note this article does not mention any V8 or 4 cylinder engines. I have replaced many 3.1/3.4 V6 engine intake manifold gaskets, to my great profit. So how does this relate to the Olds/Chevy v8 intake gasket failures that I made so much money on in the early 90s? They all had green coolant....I think this is poor gasket design much more than poor coolant. I have brought up this before and no one has come back and said it was from the green coolant. I stand by my statement earlier about keeping any coolant changed on/ahead of schedule.

Bullit Silver
    1999 Pontiac

3.1/3.4... what the fuck are you talking about.... they are 3.4 and 3.8...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 99 CompTA View Post
    3.1/3.4... what the fuck are you talking about.... they are 3.4 and 3.8...
    Did you not read the article in the link? It says 3.1or 3.4 engines specifically, as well as the 3.8 and 4.3. So what are you talking about?

Black
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by the_formula View Post
    FINALLY!!!!! that is the answer ive been looking for....not that all other replies havnt been useful....but i now understand. ...amp draw...of course...it makes sense.
    Yep... 3 years ago, my lights were doing the same thing. I did the "180 degree flip"... easy to do... and that took care of the problem. As I said, that was 3 years ago!!

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Get a new gear e-bay there ins. but make sure you get the housing tight thats were the problem starts shit gets loose and the gears get wore out I would get the metal gear because if you don't get everything tight it will only last a year and you will do it all over again. theres no wire problem somthing just gets confiused went te gear is bad when you fix it it will stop. as for the anit/coolant get a good flush bottle do it twice and don't use the red or green get the amsoil cooant it's far better than red or green and no problems and it will outlast the motor as long as you get all the other crap out.

White
    2000 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Ls1Joe View Post
    Get a new gear e-bay there ins. but make sure you get the housing tight thats were the problem starts shit gets loose and the gears get wore out I would get the metal gear because if you don't get everything tight it will only last a year and you will do it all over again.
    That's why I said to get the Rodney Dickman kit. Go to this website , it explains and shows you the replacement kit he sells. I've got one and have had no problems.
    http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I bought one of Rodney's kits also, no problems since. I did the rotate the plastic gear thing, it worked for about 9 months. I am waiting for my other headlight gear to strip and then I will get another Rodney kit.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Guys... read your manual you can program your lights NOT TO FLASH when you set the security system. it's amazing...

Get the metal gear i did and solved the problem $45 to get rid of teh grinding... there is also a free fix on there.. why spend hundreds of dollars on a new motor when it will just screw up in a few years. the free fix might work. mine almost did. think i turned the shaft a little too far. only 3 of the gears were stripped out. if i could have just known that and moved the gear to a position where it wasn't needed i would have been golden. but when i found it I already had paid for the gear and had the motor appart. ..

when you reinstall be careful not to crack the plastic housing that your tightening the bolts up against.

Good luck!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information