Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

New to ls1...few questions

This is a discussion on New to ls1...few questions within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; has your car every been in a wreck? It sounds like to me its been hit and the person who ...

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am A4

has your car every been in a wreck? It sounds like to me its been hit and the person who did the repair to the front end messed the wiring up because your headlights lift up and down when only your parking lights should light up. Do your parking lights light up too or is it just the up/down headlight thing? Find out if anything has ever been replaced on the front end of your car.

83 Z28 new project
    98 Formula WS7-sold:(

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    This guy also lives in Texas, you live in Minnesota....reputable shops are going to be different based on region....dexcool doesn't break down as easily as the green goo in blistering temperatures, which I'm sure he has to endure every year.
    Im sure thats true, I am not from down there so I dont know. What it ultimately boils down to is this. He asked for a honest opinion on what to do. For all intents and purposes, we are both right. Sure, both types have their advantages and disadvantages. We are all simply stating our opinions on the matter. The extreme temperature swings we have up here I'm sure plays a part in the problems experienced up here, going from -30 to 100 every year is hard on everthing, just as I'm sure the intense heat down there in the south has its own issues with everything. All I can say is that I have had green in my car for 10 years with zero evidence of any probs and the way our engines seals are designed I guess shouldn't matter about leaks like the earlier engines were designed. I feel bad though that this turned into a pissing match on who's right and who's wrong. That is not why we are here, we are to help and have a good time, not get into arguments, it just does not help. Its his car and the decision is his to make on what to use, not ours, we are just trying to help him out. Like I said earlier, we are all right for own reasons, it really is just a matter of preference and hearsay over hard core facts and I know this because I do not know of any testing that was conducted to compare red to green or to any other color that says one is better than the other over whatever reason. It might say on the bottle it contains this or that, but where's the proof its properties are actually better?
    If you find it let me know, I am always willing to learn something new. I am now officially off this topic. I'm sorry this turned into a sort of thread jack on the subject. Its your car, you need to do what you want to do, whether you leave it dex or go green, its what you are comfortable with.

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by n.m.racer View Post
    has your car every been in a wreck? It sounds like to me its been hit and the person who did the repair to the front end messed the wiring up because your headlights lift up and down when only your parking lights should light up. Do your parking lights light up too or is it just the up/down headlight thing? Find out if anything has ever been replaced on the front end of your car.
    i will look it over tomorrow for signs of a wreck...when alarm is activated the headlights go up and down but they dont light up..the park lights and foglights also flash...

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 98formy View Post
    Im sure thats true, I am not from down there so I dont know. What it ultimately boils down to is this. He asked for a honest opinion on what to do. For all intents and purposes, we are both right. Sure, both types have their advantages and disadvantages. We are all simply stating our opinions on the matter. The extreme temperature swings we have up here I'm sure plays a part in the problems experienced up here, going from -30 to 100 every year is hard on everthing, just as I'm sure the intense heat down there in the south has its own issues with everything. All I can say is that I have had green in my car for 10 years with zero evidence of any probs and the way our engines seals are designed I guess shouldn't matter about leaks like the earlier engines were designed. I feel bad though that this turned into a pissing match on who's right and who's wrong. That is not why we are here, we are to help and have a good time, not get into arguments, it just does not help. Its his car and the decision is his to make on what to use, not ours, we are just trying to help him out. Like I said earlier, we are all right for own reasons, it really is just a matter of preference and hearsay over hard core facts and I know this because I do not know of any testing that was conducted to compare red to green or to any other color that says one is better than the other over whatever reason. It might say on the bottle it contains this or that, but where's the proof its properties are actually better?
    If you find it let me know, I am always willing to learn something new. I am now officially off this topic. I'm sorry this turned into a sort of thread jack on the subject. Its your car, you need to do what you want to do, whether you leave it dex or go green, its what you are comfortable with.
    I say that since both of our cars still run, we're both good to go. You stick with green, I'll stick with Dex, and we'll probly still both be driving our cars with the same water pump a year from now. I do wish someone would study up and do a hardcore comparison, so that we actually KNOW what is best for OUR cars. All I got to say is if you do get green, make sure it's dexcool compatible.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

I had the same problem with my headlights last year. I just fixed it this spring. My drivers side headlight was grinding and my headlights would come up like you said. You should talk to the person you bought it from, if you got it like that. what you have to do is take the headlight off and take the motor out. I would do a search to find a headlight fix, they're a lot of write ups. once you have it open, u need to either replace the gear with a brass one, or you can flip the gear over cuz only one side is used. The write up will describe this process pretty well. Then epoxy the motor back together. here's the hard part, u have to reinstall the headlight motor and headlight just like the one on the opposite side. It has to be installed perfectly, if you try to flip it up and it's not installed right, the gear will spin/grind and you'll have to take the motor out and apart again. I did this like 5 times this spring. it's kinda like trial and error to get it reinstalled correctly, but just take a good look at ur other headlight to see how it works.
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

antifreeze/coolant

i bought my 99 t/a last august. i checked the coolant level with the dipstick and it was covered with caked on mold looking crap. it had dexcool in it. i heard the dexcool caked up after years so i decided to flush and replace with green antifreeze. when flushing the system this big ol' turd looking chunk of dexcool came out of the radiator hose.

i saw on the news about mid-march that GM had a lawsuit recently filed against them regarding Dexcool. i'm not concerned with it b/c i didnt have any damage or problems, but google it if youre interested in the details of the lawsuit.
    '99 Trans Am Pewter M6
    St. Louis, MO
    Mods/upgrades: SLP lid-Longtubes-ORY-LM2 catback, drilled rotors&Hawk pads, MSD wires
    PITA: window motors+regulator, brass gear, DRL sockets X 7
    Soon: clutch, LS6 intake
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I know members here scream about SeaFoam. Many voted for Obama also.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    i bought my 99 t/a last august. i checked the coolant level with the dipstick and it was covered with caked on mold looking crap. it had dexcool in it. i heard the dexcool caked up after years so i decided to flush and replace with green antifreeze. when flushing the system this big ol' turd looking chunk of dexcool came out of the radiator hose.

i saw on the news about mid-march that GM had a lawsuit recently filed against them regarding Dexcool. i'm not concerned with it b/c i didnt have any damage or problems, but google it if youre interested in the details of the lawsuit.
    Definately am interested, being as GM 'requires' it in most vehicles...should just go with Prestone yellow, compromise

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I had the same problem with my headlights last year. I just fixed it this spring. My drivers side headlight was grinding and my headlights would come up like you said. You should talk to the person you bought it from, if you got it like that. what you have to do is take the headlight off and take the motor out. I would do a search to find a headlight fix, they're a lot of write ups. once you have it open, u need to either replace the gear with a brass one, or you can flip the gear over cuz only one side is used. The write up will describe this process pretty well. Then epoxy the motor back together. here's the hard part, u have to reinstall the headlight motor and headlight just like the one on the opposite side. It has to be installed perfectly, if you try to flip it up and it's not installed right, the gear will spin/grind and you'll have to take the motor out and apart again. I did this like 5 times this spring. it's kinda like trial and error to get it reinstalled correctly, but just take a good look at ur other headlight to see how it works.
    yea but why does it keep gettin juice to the passenger headlight only when it is all the way shut....it only grinds after its all the way shut....going up there is no noise..

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

the headlights go up and down and make the grinding sound when the gears are going out in them all you have to do is rotate them 180degree this is very common with are cars i just fixed mine a couple months ago and and they are still working great look through the stickys on the home page for trans am and check out the head light one

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by kris6273 View Post
    the headlights go up and down and make the grinding sound when the gears are going out in them all you have to do is rotate them 180degree this is very common with are cars i just fixed mine a couple months ago and and they are still working great look through the stickys on the home page for trans am and check out the head light one
    yea ive read the articles on this..what i am trying to figure out is why it only makes the sound after it is closed and SHOULD BE lifeless but instead the passenger side is acting like it is staying engaged too long...like the relay or whatever controls it isnt de-activating when it should...like i said it goes up and down just fine with no noise until it is all the way shut....

black
    1998 pontiac trans am

i had my car for about a year....the passenger side motor went and is doing the same thing ur talking about....it never did it before...im just gonna hope that when i change the motor i can actually set my alarm without lookin like an idiol lol

Awaiting Activation

White
    2000 Trans Am

yeah my girlfriends firebird did that when she got it..we changed the gear in it..the driverside headlight with a metal gear..after that the security system issue fixed itself, just the park lights flash when she locks it with the button, but yeah that noise was irritating as hell!

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by MoNsTeR_LS1 View Post
    yeah my girlfriends firebird did that when she got it..we changed the gear in it..the driverside headlight with a metal gear..after that the security system issue fixed itself, just the park lights flash when she locks it with the button, but yeah that noise was irritating as hell!
    enough people have said to change the gear and it will fix itself, so im going to try that...i just dont see how it will fix it from staying on too long.

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

thats the thing its not staying on to long its stripped and thats the sound it makes when its stripped trust me i had the problem with both of mine and just rotated them 180degrees and it fixed it just try it

White
    2000 T/A WS6

Be sure and get the Rodney Dickman replacement gearset...
    http://my.execpc.com/C4/4A/rodney1/firebird/

Maple Red Metallic
    2002 Trans Am M6

the_formula, I'm not too sure but I personally don't think your headlights moving after you set the alarm is just a gear gone bad. With ta's, you can set the level of security with your alarm higher than the factory setting which sets the alarm off if your car gets brushed against. the sensors located under your passenger side speaker panel in the rear, Im not too familia but could that be it?

silver
    1999 trans am

you can spin the headlight gear 180 degrees pretty simply without taking it all apart. the directions are hidden in this site somewhere. i know- thats where i found them. the motors shut down on an amp draw i believe so thats why they keep running for a while -no load on them 'cause the gears are stripped. i'm in so. cal and dexcool has been working fine for me even with some highspeed trips to vegas. even texas doesn't get hotter than death valley.just be careful and enjoy your car

Impounded

maple red metallic
    2000 firebird formula

Quote Originally Posted by dotcom2000 View Post
    you can spin the headlight gear 180 degrees pretty simply without taking it all apart. the directions are hidden in this site somewhere. i know- thats where i found them. the motors shut down on an amp draw i believe so thats why they keep running for a while -no load on them 'cause the gears are stripped. i'm in so. cal and dexcool has been working fine for me even with some highspeed trips to vegas. even texas doesn't get hotter than death valley.just be careful and enjoy your car
    FINALLY!!!!! that is the answer ive been looking for....not that all other replies havnt been useful....but i now understand. ...amp draw...of course...it makes sense.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes it is the amp draw that shuts the motor off. And if it does not see the amp draw, then it has a backup system a timer. First it looks for amp draw then if not it runs the motor for a fixed time.

As far as coolant, my 98 TA had Dexcool from the factory. As long as the coolant is kept full, there won't be any issues with green, orange, yellow or whatever coolant you have. Follow the flush schedule (or more often!) and you won't have any problems.

Also, I think it is funny how people say Dexcool eats gaskets, seals, etc. when I made lots of $$$ in the early 90s fixing intake gaskets on Olds 307s and Chevy 305s, 350s. Guess what? It was all green antifreeze in those days!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information