Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

New intake, I went with...

Volant. Had been eyeing it for a long time and reading post after post about it.

Anyway- The install was rough. I've put intakes on cars before but this was by far the most annoying install. Removed the bellow, MAF, and old lid, etc. the MAF to Y-pipe for the cones was aggravating as the plastic was in the way of the MAF. So that had to be dremoled (my spelling sucks, sorry) out to make it fit. Once everything was installed back in place, found out that the brackets that came with it to fasten it to the car were completely off measurement.. so... we just drilled a small hole in the bottom of the box and used one of the the bolts to fasten to to one of the other holes on the car (see pics). No biggie.. but annoying and you'd think Volant would catch something that far out of alignment and fix it. I have some 1/2 copper pipe insulation for it later instead of the gasket it comes with, but didn't put it on today as this seems fine for the moment being.

That aside, I love the way it looks and sounds, and so far by my "seat-o-da-pants" dyno it's a bit more responsive and is working nicely. I imagine if I got some LTs and some other mods it would make more of a difference, but so far it's nice and I am glad I got it.

(Hopefully my images work)

(Drilled a small little hole above an existing hole)

(Volunteer helpers... haha)

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

lmao @ the pets

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    lmao @ the pets
    haha yeah, they were in everything today! I have more cats and one more dog that aren't in those photos too. I hate when the cats leave their prints all over my cars after I wash them though..

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Looks very nice.
    Ricers would shit when they see that

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    2000 Trans AM

Nice looking set up.
    However the twin cones... Does it really allow more air in or is it mainly for apperance looks only?

SOM
    2002 firebird formula

ive got the same intake, im pretty happy with it, just dont count on those cone filters to be blue for long....mine were dirty after about 500 miles

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 02Ls1Formula View Post
    ive got the same intake, im pretty happy with it, just dont count on those cone filters to be blue for long....mine were dirty after about 500 miles
    Long as I can still clean them and they work it's all good.

jamessr: Not sure if it really makes a difference with two vs one big filter, but it would at least work as good and it looks great. The Camaro version has one Oval Cone. I guess Volant was just matching it to the hoods appearance - Camaro SS = one scoop, WS6 = two nostrils. It does help with clearance issues I think though, it would have to be a tad bit shorter on the WS6 if it were one cone maybe.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by fluke View Post
    Volant. Had been eyeing it for a long time and reading post after post about it.

HAHAHA black and white kitty looks drunk...cant walk straight!

that set up looks sick! in a good way! where'd you find it and what kind of $$$ am i looking at? i guess i have to get a ws6 hood first though.

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    HAHAHA black and white kitty looks drunk...cant walk straight!

that set up looks sick! in a good way! where'd you find it and what kind of $$$ am i looking at? i guess i have to get a ws6 hood first though.

Yeah.. my cats are wierd.. anyway.. yeah, the price is the downside to that setup - it's costly, but not far out. You'll be looking at around $279 or so for a brand new one, but you can snag it cheaper used. I bought mine online. Not sure if I can say the name of the store publicly on the forum - not sure if they are a sponser or does that even matter? Check the sponsers first (I think that is only fair), and if you can't find it I'll give you a link to where I bought mine.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

yo fluke, found the airbox on a sponsor page (new era performance) a little more expensive. any idea if it has to be matched with a stock style ws6/ram air hood? im looking to get a ram air hood for my 99 t/a maybe this winter. im not real sure about these things and i'm just curious how i might be able to tell what hoods are out there that this airbox would seal well with. any idea about a raptor style hood from suncoast (sponsor, is that the right name tho?)
    thanks for your help

Pewter
    2002 T/A WS6

Quote Originally Posted by transAMchubby View Post
    yo fluke, found the airbox on a sponsor page (new era performance) a little more expensive. any idea if it has to be matched with a stock style ws6/ram air hood? im looking to get a ram air hood for my 99 t/a maybe this winter. im not real sure about these things and i'm just curious how i might be able to tell what hoods are out there that this airbox would seal well with. any idea about a raptor style hood from suncoast (sponsor, is that the right name tho?)
    thanks for your help
    It should fit either hood. If you happen to get a hood higher than the stock one you can always take some copper pipe insulation (home depot or lowes for like 3 bucks) and use it to fill the extra space.

Thread Information