Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

yellow
    2002 Pontiac WS6

New engine for WS6

I have a 2002 WS6 collectors edition and instead of an expensive (cam, etc) repair -- was thinking of putting in a brand new engine with more horsepower. I was told by a speed shop that certain LS engines are not compatible due to electric and computer issues. Does anyone know via experience which engines are compatible? I'd like to buy a LS2 or LS3 and use as many accessories from my LS1 as possible. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mxplane123; 11-18-2009 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Bought a yellow 2002 WS6 Collect Edi instead of 1998 WS6 which is on my profile.

Black
    1999 T/A WS.6

LS1 and LS6 are interchangeable, Im pretty sure.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Correct me here guys, but I think the 98 and 99's are the ones that get froggy with the electrical stuff - Is why it's harder to find a chip. With your 02, I don't see why you'd have any probs. With enuf $, you can fix anything, right? :0

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can fit ls-6, ls-2, lq-4, lq-9, ls-3, ls-7. Difference with the lq blocks is the intakes and the fuel rails, the ls-3/7 are dry sump and require some modification to make it fit. Also different oil pans if you get them from donors. You can look through gm performance, texasspeed.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by weberje View Post
    Correct me here guys, but I think the 98 and 99's are the ones that get froggy with the electrical stuff - Is why it's harder to find a chip. With your 02, I don't see why you'd have any probs. With enuf $, you can fix anything, right? :0
    It's not the chip it's the computer, plenty of people still have gone 408's so take it with a grain of salt.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by weberje View Post
    its only '98s

and if you change the ecm with the motor then you wont have to worry about it

p.s if yourlooking for a chip for a '98 dont, chips are a waste of money for any ls1, $300 could go toward something that will actually do something imo

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    You can fit ls-6, ls-2, lq-4, lq-9, ls-3, ls-7. Difference with the lq blocks is the intakes and the fuel rails, the ls-3/7 are dry sump and require some modification to make it fit. Also different oil pans if you get them from donors. You can look through gm performance, texasspeed.
    also ls-x?

but thanks for the extra info, didnt know about the fuel rails on the lq's

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

How many miles does your engine have on it?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    also ls-x?

but thanks for the extra info, didnt know about the fuel rails on the lq's
    ls-x generally denotes ls-1-ls-7 unless you are talking about the ls-x block, the 454 something er rather yah it fits also.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OyfjSskYw0[/ame]

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    ls-x generally denotes ls-1-ls-7 unless you are talking about the ls-x block, the 454 something er rather yah it fits also.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

The ECM problems are caused by `97-04 engines using a 24X crank 2x cam reluctor and most`05 up engines have a 58X/4x reluctor and are not compatible. Lingenfelter does makes a conversion box to eliminate this problem but you would still need a few harness extensions (cam sensor and knock sensor) to use a Gen IV V8 (LS2, 3, 7). Also the later engines use an electric throttle body (ETC) and would need to be replaced with a similar sized (90mm) cable throttle body.
    Best advice I can give you is get a early LS2 (`05's should have 24X reluctor) then reuse your LS6 intake for an instant boost in power over the LS2 intake. Add a mild Cam and headers and your set.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    The ECM problems are caused by `97-04 engines using a 24X crank 2x cam reluctor and most`05 up engines have a 58X/4x reluctor and are not compatible. Lingenfelter does makes a conversion box to eliminate this problem but you would still need a few harness extensions (cam sensor and knock sensor) to use a Gen IV V8 (LS2, 3, 7). Also the later engines use an electric throttle body (ETC) and would need to be replaced with a similar sized (90mm) cable throttle body.
    Best advice I can give you is get a early LS2 (`05's should have 24X reluctor) then reuse your LS6 intake for an instant boost in power over the LS2 intake. Add a mild Cam and headers and your set.
    noted, thanks for the wisdom

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Or if money is no object buy a forged 418ci LS3 from texasspeed. I personally would like mine to have somewhat low compression.... so I will have more power than stock to begin with but the car will be nothing more than a blower and tune away from SICK power.

I think they will build a 418 for something in the neighborhood of 7k

not including shipping or tax or whatever it takes for you to install it.... you know things like your accessories or ECU or fuel pump etc etc. I'm thinking when my suspension is all done as soon as I have 10k sitting around i'll jump on the engine..... then when I have another 4-5k i'll jump on the blower!!!! pretty lofty goals but a guy can dream right?

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    Or if money is no object buy a forged 418ci LS3 from texasspeed. I personally would like mine to have somewhat low compression.... so I will have more power than stock to begin with but the car will be nothing more than a blower and tune away from SICK power.

I think they will build a 418 for something in the neighborhood of 7k

not including shipping or tax or whatever it takes for you to install it.... you know things like your accessories or ECU or fuel pump etc etc. I'm thinking when my suspension is all done as soon as I have 10k sitting around i'll jump on the engine..... then when I have another 4-5k i'll jump on the blower!!!! pretty lofty goals but a guy can dream right?
    you think if you buy it they install it for free like stereo shops do headunits?

i wish

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

The problem is that the new motors (not LS1/6) have the different reluctor wheel, so an electric adapter is needed if you buy a crate engine. If you get an engine from Texas Speed they'll change out the wheel so it matches your LS1 computer. Also, the Cam Position Sensor is different between the LS1/6 and the LS2/3/7/9...either it's different all together or it's on the front of the engine, rather than the back...can't remember.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

yes they do use the right reluctor for your specific application. and for the CPS you need an extension harness. bout as close to plug and play you can get with a crate motor. Their prices seem good and it's hard to argue with the part options they have. I know it's something I want to eventually get to given the money. As much as I'd kill to build my own motor I am simply too busy to even get on my PS3 for 10 minutes. So when the time comes I have a strong feeling that is the route I'll take. Of course by then the Gen V small blocks will be tooling around inside vettes and maros. Who's wondering if those will work on our cars? granted they WOULD need a new computer but I wonder if they'd fit???

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

granted they WOULD need a new computer but I wonder if they'd fit???
    LS Engines are all shortblocks, and are roughly the same size...or rather all will fit in your engine bay

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I understand that all LS engines will fit our cars..... but the Gen V small block will have direct injection and will most likely not be compatible in any way with our current wire harness. For all we know it won't even have an LS designation. I don't know much about the upcoming DI gen V other than the fact it will be more powerful have lower emissions and get better fuel economy. PROGRESS!!!!!

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by ImportIntimidator View Post
    LS Engines are all shortblocks, and are roughly the same size...or rather all will fit in your engine bay
    You mean small blocks as the term short block is used to desribe the block and rotating assembly of any engine.

1998 Trans Am

I understand that all LS engines will fit our cars..... but the Gen V small block will have direct injection and will most likely not be compatible in any way with our current wire harness. For all we know it won't even have an LS designation. I don't know much about the upcoming DI gen V other than the fact it will be more powerful have lower emissions and get better fuel economy. PROGRESS!!!!!
    i have a 98, so ill probably want to change out the ecm anyways

Thread Information