Thread: new engine?

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

new engine?

what will it take Money wise/ and parts wise to put in a Ls6 454 7.3L into a 98 trans am? Dont want to count money for the engine just the parts and things needed to convert. The one i am looking at was in a boat and is being sold really cheap. It is carburated but im sure it can be converted to fuel injection with a intake and other parts. Just wanting to know if it would be worth it to do or just build the Ls1.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by damianj03 View Post
    what will it take Money wise/ and parts wise to put in a Ls6 454 7.3L into a 98 trans am? Dont want to count money for the engine just the parts and things needed to convert. The one i am looking at was in a boat and is being sold really cheap. It is carburated but im sure it can be converted to fuel injection with a intake and other parts. Just wanting to know if it would be worth it to do or just build the Ls1.
    A LS6 should bolt. Right up with very little modification, I built a lsx427 and 90% of my ls1 components carried over, but I would def upgrade the motor and trans mounts, and the transmission, and if you have not already swap the rear end as the 10 bolt axle is garbage, if I were you I would build a lsx motor but at the end of the day your gonna spend at least 10 grand getting the car to the point of just being able to handle the power.

slap your mama red
    1998 trans am

what about converting it from carb to injected? Computer changes? and the motor is 750 bucks complete so its a great deal.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Definetly need a proper PCM or equivilant (stand alone) for fuel injection..

Black

You can use the stock ecm, That is what I am using on my 427, it will just need to get a pretty good tune on a dyno. other than that you can use your fuel injection set up from the LS1 as it will bolt up to the LS6, but i would try to find a LS6 intake to take care of that pesky EGR issue with the 98 and 99 LS1 intake manifolds. Also you would have to upgrade your intank fuel pump and injectors and all that. And if they are selling a 454 LS 6 I would tear it apart and see if there is any damage to the block and all that, thats way to good of a deal for an LS series engine. all in all you could do the swap for about 2000 if I had to guess, that takes into account that you leave the stock driveline.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by RichWS6 View Post
    You can use the stock ecm, That is what I am using on my 427, it will just need to get a pretty good tune on a dyno. other than that you can use your fuel injection set up from the LS1 as it will bolt up to the LS6, but i would try to find a LS6 intake to take care of that pesky EGR issue with the 98 and 99 LS1 intake manifolds. Also you would have to upgrade your intank fuel pump and injectors and all that. And if they are selling a 454 LS 6 I would tear it apart and see if there is any damage to the block and all that, thats way to good of a deal for an LS series engine. all in all you could do the swap for about 2000 if I had to guess, that takes into account that you leave the stock driveline.
    I thought there was something different about the 98 PCM's in f-body ?

Maybe I am wrong though..

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    I thought there was something different about the 98 PCM's in f-body ?

Maybe I am wrong though..
    Nothing that cant be re-tuned or adjusted, the only thing that would bite you in the butt would be the reluctor wheel, if its a 58x then it might be a pain in the A$$

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by RichWS6 View Post
    Nothing that cant be re-tuned or adjusted, the only thing that would bite you in the butt would be the reluctor wheel, if its a 58x then it might be a pain in the A$$
    I understand thanks for the info..

Thread Information