artic white
    2001 trans am ws6

needed engine information

I would just like to know information about an LS1 cause i bought a 01 t/a and i just want to know my options on what is the best things to do to enhance performance. any information would be great. thanks.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Friendly bump......
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

artic white
    2001 trans am ws6

lol. im getting there. i mean i know the basics and what is in an engine....its just been awhile and i want to refresh myself. i just want to know things like changing out a cam, the crank, stuff like that. but i am one of those learners where if i have an engine in front of me......i can tear it apart and put it together its just i wouldnt mind having someone there to tell me information about each thing

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam87 View Post
    lol. im getting there. i mean i know the basics and what is in an engine....its just been awhile and i want to refresh myself. i just want to know things like changing out a cam, the crank, stuff like that. but i am one of those learners where if i have an engine in front of me......i can tear it apart and put it together its just i wouldnt mind having someone there to tell me information about each thing
    Ok, well it would'nt hurt to pick up a service/repair manual for your car either. There are vaious companies who nake them specific to f-body cars, Haynes, Chiltons, just to name a couple.
    Last edited by Smittro; 08-03-2009 at 01:02 AM.

artic white
    2001 trans am ws6

well right now im kinda overseas so finding a manual.......pretty hard. lol so my options of finding information is hard so thats why i asked on here

artic white
    2001 trans am ws6

so is there a website to where i can look up a service manual?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

just get a cold air set up new air lid that will give you 25hp and is cheap then if you wanna get into it deff get cam headers full exhaust it all depends what you wanna spend on your t/a

artic white
    2001 trans am ws6

hey, thanks alot for the tip. i am thinking about keeping it cheap at first till i get some more money but getting a new air lid should only be about 100-150. so do you know of some other things that are under 500 that can boost hp?

RED
    2002 FORMULA

There is a difference between cold air setup and lid. Cold air setup 25 hp...? Lid, no way. I have a stock lid, a slp lid and a cold air setup. Did not notice a diffrence between stock and slp. I did feel a differance with the ca, but I dont know if it was 25hp. Now the cat back was a diffrent story. I also had that custom made and it set me back 600.00 The ca will set you back about 300.
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...mula02/003.jpg

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by BamBam87 View Post
    hey, thanks alot for the tip. i am thinking about keeping it cheap at first till i get some more money but getting a new air lid should only be about 100-150. so do you know of some other things that are under 500 that can boost hp?
    the first thing would be the full slp air induction kit it will give you 20-25hp

http://www.jegs.com/i/SLP/847/21047/10002/-1?CT=999

the second thing would be the slp headers will reduce 1/4-mile ETs by up to 5 tenths of a second.

http://www.pfyc.com/pc/FB5003/FBEXH/...?a_aid=froogle

the third thing to do is the slp exhaust adding another 25hp

http://www.jegs.com/i/SLP/847/31042/10002/-1?CT=999

by now you spent $2000 not including instalation and you have the full slp cold air setup the slp headers and the slp exhaust adding about 80hp and would be well worth it i would have done all those thing to my trans am but all i could afford was the slp air lid for now. good luck.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    There is a difference between cold air setup and lid. Cold air setup 25 hp...? Lid, no way. I have a stock lid, a slp lid and a cold air setup. Did not notice a diffrence between stock and slp. I did feel a differance with the ca, but I dont know if it was 25hp. Now the cat back was a diffrent story. I also had that custom made and it set me back 600.00 The ca will set you back about 300.
    http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/a...mula02/003.jpg
    full cold air setup easy 20hp just the lid only 10hp i never drove my t/a b4 putting the slp lid on, but after it was on it sounded alot nicer without the stock baffels and resonator and i could deff here it as i ran threw the gears im sure it gave me an easy 10hp but 320hp up to 330hp hard to deficer the diff but getting a more direct flow to the motor is deff gonna help

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

There is also a list of free mods.

http://installuniversity.com/lsx/cam...documents.html

The best/easiest one to do is the TB bypass. Really cheap and you don't have to do any permanent changes to your car.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    There is also a list of free mods.

http://installuniversity.com/lsx/cam...documents.html

The best/easiest one to do is the TB bypass. Really cheap and you don't have to do any permanent changes to your car.
    whats a tb bypass and what will it do for perfromance

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Throttle body bypass removes the anitfreeze line that runs through your throttle body. It was designed to warm up the throttle body and prevent the blade from freezing shut. By rerouting the line, you drop the surface temp of the TB by 20+ degrees. Someone had tested it adding 4-5hp. Some of the other modifications range in performance because of human error. You can buy all the needed hardware at autozone/advanced/ or murrays. They offer a kit for $20, which is a rip off, I got all the parts for $8. I actually got 2 of everything when I purchased them, so I sold the extra parts for $4. Can't beat a $1/HP.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

the first things i did were a lid,k&n, full exhaust(long tube headers,ory,magnaflow muffler),and a performance pcm tune.i got all of my parts from www.lmperformance.com and saved well over a $100.00 over jegs and the exact same parts/brand and they are a site sponsor,also check out www.ws6store.com and www.thunderracing.com. you don't have to buy high dollar slp parts to get a fast f-body.

2002 CETA m6

When it comes to modding your car there are so many different paths you can take. Just all depends on how much you have/or willing to spend.

Lid w/filter would be a great first mod to start with

Black/PurpleChromeFlames
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

You're first step was making it to this site which was good one, literature; either GM High Tech Performance mags or High Performance Pontiac mags (if you have a bird that is) Other info already mentioned is good and there are a number of sponsors that advertise here to help with acquiring the goodies. I've used speedinc.com for a number of years as they will price match but it still pays to shop around. LS1tech.com or LS2.com are other sites that can help you on you're way. Know what you want first though.
    Mess with the best, lose like the rest!

Thread Information