Red
    2001 Ram Air TA

In Need of a stock MAF WITH Screen for my '01 TA

Greetings everyone,
    I am in need of a stock MAF for my LS1 TA. I ripped my screen out years ago and my newfound understanding from the "Tuning God's" has shown me the error of my ways.
    I know someone must have one laying around in the community...please help me out!
    Thanx in advance and keep up the excellent work here on the forum!
    Mike

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by NAVYGSE1 View Post
    Greetings everyone,
    I am in need of a stock MAF for my LS1 TA. I ripped my screen out years ago and my newfound understanding from the "Tuning God's" has shown me the error of my ways.
    I know someone must have one laying around in the community...please help me out!
    Thanx in advance and keep up the excellent work here on the forum!
    Mike
    There are actually no issues with pulling the screen off if done right. There are people who will tell you different but there is actually nothing wrong with it if done right.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    There are actually no issues with pulling the screen off if done right. There are people who will tell you different but there is actually nothing wrong with it if done right.
    Pretty sure there's only one way to do it.... I wish I had the screen, been meaning to go to home depot to see if I can find some similar material to use, for a .5 horsepower loss I'd rather have it in there, Especially with the poor fitting slp lid...

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    Pretty sure there's only one way to do it.... I wish I had the screen, been meaning to go to home depot to see if I can find some similar material to use, for a .5 horsepower loss I'd rather have it in there, Especially with the poor fitting slp lid...
    By right I meant carefully so you don't mess the sensor up. Your not going to lose HP by removing the screen. It isn't harmful at all. You do know why it it is there right? It straightens out airflow but when you have a straight intake this is useless. Yes it changes the tables slightly but not enough to be harmful without a tune for a little while. You should get a tune but it's not going to hurt anything if you don't right away.

Red
    2001 Ram Air TA

Thanx for the support! I know it shouldn;t make much of a difference, but then again I have read numerous different opinions on the screen and the stock MAF with the screen seems to be more accurrate and tons better than the Granitelli I have been running for 8yrs. I liked the kick in the pants the GMS gave me, but I am very anxious about getting the tune with the stock MAF. I will post what my results are after all is said and done!
    Appreciate the feedback.
    mike

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just to be clear here -- modifying the MAF in any manner affects reported air flow. The MAF is a precisley calibrated measuring instrument. Incoming air travels over a wire that is heated to a set temperature. By measuring how much electricity is required to maintain the temperature of the wire, the MAF then reports actual airflow to the PCM in hertz.

Any alteration to the MAF - such as removing the screen, de-blading or porting it alters the actual versus calculated airflow. The result is that more air is entering the engine than is accounted for and this creates a lean condition. Although the O2 senders can sense the excess air and call for fuel to be added to compensate, the PCM does not run off the senders in open loop or at WOT.

Moral of the story: Leave the MAF alone unless you are tuning to compensate for the changes.

Red
    2001 Ram Air TA

I agree, the lid is rather ill fitting, but I am glad to have it! I purchased my first lid from Quarter mile Performance and it fit like crap! Then I sent it back to him because he assured me he had a new design came out...never heard from him again! Then when I filed a complaint with the BBB, they said he had several buisinesses and they did not reply to their requests...so they closed the case and he walked off scott-free!
    I just make sure my gasket is in place and carefully close it up...seems to work just fine for me.
    Mike

Black
    2002 M6 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Just to be clear here -- modifying the MAF in any manner affects reported air flow. The MAF is a precisley calibrated measuring instrument. Incoming air travels over a wire that is heated to a set temperature. By measuring how much electricity is required to maintain the temperature of the wire, the MAF then reports actual airflow to the PCM in hertz.

Any alteration to the MAF - such as removing the screen, de-blading or porting it alters the actual versus calculated airflow. The result is that more air is entering the engine than is accounted for and this creates a lean condition. Although the O2 senders can sense the excess air and call for fuel to be added to compensate, the PCM does not run off the senders in open loop or at WOT.

Moral of the story: Leave the MAF alone unless you are tuning to compensate for the changes.
    Good info. Also as a further opinion, leave it alone unless you have over 500hp and need a new one. Stock one in original equipment and specs is juuuust fine.

Black
    2001 Pontiac

Get a replacement Screen & press it into your existing MAF sensor.
    http://www.saxonpc.com/100mm-cells-for-100.html

"86mm LS1 shown in photo. 5:1 fits LS1 depth."

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Your not going to lose HP by removing the screen.
    re-read what I said. I was assuming the loss comes from putting another screen back in.

Thread Information