Results 1 to 11 of 11

Need some help guys.

This is a discussion on Need some help guys. within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well guys I need your help, I had my egr tube removed from the solenoid, when the ls6 intake was ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Need some help guys.

    Well guys I need your help, I had my egr tube removed from the solenoid, when the ls6 intake was installed. I am going to rig a tube going back into the intake where the old one used to be. I am going to very carefully cut a hole into the ls6 intake to put the tube into so it still looks like I have the stock egr........good idea or bad idea? Also how does the smog checker check if the egr is functioning? it's a 2000 trans am by the way. Also does anyone have an extra egr hose lying around that I could buy or they could give me that their not using anymore..........suggestions or comments please!!!

  2. #2
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Well guys I need your help, I had my egr tube removed from the solenoid, when the ls6 intake was installed. I am going to rig a tube going back into the intake where the old one used to be. I am going to very carefully cut a hole into the ls6 intake to put the tube into so it still looks like I have the stock egr........good idea or bad idea? Also how does the smog checker check if the egr is functioning? it's a 2000 trans am by the way. Also does anyone have an extra egr hose lying around that I could buy or they could give me that their not using anymore..........suggestions or comments please!!!
    I think you can get away without having it on, especially if you've gone and put a LS6 Intake on the car. I would strongly suggest not drilling into that pretty intake for any reason. You're not even sure if they're going to check it or not. If I were you, I would go get tested and if they fail you, THEN search for ways to pass, not the other way around.

  3. #3
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I think you can get away without having it on, especially if you've gone and put a LS6 Intake on the car. I would strongly suggest not drilling into that pretty intake for any reason. You're not even sure if they're going to check it or not. If I were you, I would go get tested and if they fail you, THEN search for ways to pass, not the other way around.
    Already been confirmed he won't pass:

    http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114252

    I would hate to see you drill into the intake as well. Do you still have your LS1 intake that you could temporarily swap back on for your check and then swap them back out after you pass? If you don't, I imagine you could pick up an LS1 intake dirt cheap. In the longrun, I think you will regret cutting a hole in your LS6 intake.

  4. #4
    Member c5z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bay Area
    Posts
    8,120

    On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

    Here in cali they go for a checklist for your year. Bestg bet might to glue it on to so it looks connected-don't go drilling into it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Already been confirmed he won't pass:

    http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114252

    I would hate to see you drill into the intake as well. Do you still have your LS1 intake that you could temporarily swap back on for your check and then swap them back out after you pass? If you don't, I imagine you could pick up an LS1 intake dirt cheap. In the longrun, I think you will regret cutting a hole in your LS6 intake.
    Still don't have an ls1 intake. But what besides cosmetic would it matter if I did drill into it......Would it affect the car any other way?

    Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Here in cali they go for a checklist for your year. Bestg bet might to glue it on to so it looks connected-don't go drilling into it.
    I could try that.........c5z28 do you know how they actually test the egr to make sure it is functional?

  6. #6
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Anyone else with some suggestions? Next weekend I will be installing the egr back into my ls6 intake, I'm going to drill a hole. What besides a major vacuum leak will this cause?

  7. #7
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Laurel, Maryland
    Posts
    4,977

    2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

    I see this [drilling] being a bad idea that you're going to regret for a long time. I've got an LS1 Intake for sale if you want to wait the week it will take for it to be shipped out to you.

  8. #8
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    I see this [drilling] being a bad idea that you're going to regret for a long time. I've got an LS1 Intake for sale if you want to wait the week it will take for it to be shipped out to you.
    Why would I regret the drilling, it'll be a breeze!...........?

  9. #9
    Auto Painter RyanJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,002

    White
    1998 Trans Am

    If you were going to do that you should have just bought a SLP LS6 it comes with a place for the EGR. I have alll my crap disconnected and just go to smaller stations and they may not even both with something as dumb as a egr. Hey we have inspections and most places open my hood see my LT headers and don't even look for the cats. Just make sure the computer says it;s al good
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

  10. #10
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    If you were going to do that you should have just bought a SLP LS6 it comes with a place for the EGR. I have alll my crap disconnected and just go to smaller stations and they may not even both with something as dumb as a egr. Hey we have inspections and most places open my hood see my LT headers and don't even look for the cats. Just make sure the computer says it;s al good
    Yes ryan i know that there are other intakes that come with the place for the egr thank you.............I don't want to take the chance, to "hope" they overlook the egr, there is a functional check that they are required to do that i would fail.........thanks for the suggestion though

  11. #11
    Senior Member clg82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    California
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,453
    2000 Trans Am

    Anyone else?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. LS1 Guys are on Defense Mustang Guys on Offense
    By Sarge in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-06-2008, 09:09 AM
  2. to my nos guys
    By theslow00 in forum Western Members
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-19-2008, 10:29 PM
  3. What do you think guys?
    By JohnsSS in forum Manual Transmission
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-16-2008, 03:01 PM
  4. Hey guys
    By sabredog in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-20-2008, 01:01 PM
  5. Young Guys Step In (Old Guys Can Too)
    By Mr. CarelessAndImprudent in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-28-2006, 05:33 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •