Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Need opinions..Just Curious

This is a discussion on Need opinions..Just Curious within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Now that I've gotten more info that I should have known/had before I purchased these........My whole idea was to have ...

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Now that I've gotten more info that I should have known/had before I purchased these........My whole idea was to have a wider look in the back and not sacrifice height. Since they didn't order 17X10 in the back, I'm stuck with 17X9 all around. They are suggesting going with 245/45ZR/17 front and 275/40ZR/17 back. To have that staggered look. I truly don't like seeing all that space in the wheel-well going with a 40 series tire and don't have the $$ right now to lower it and I'm kinda worried about going with 255/50ZR/17.
    I guess my question is...going with what the stock size in the rear @ 275/40ZR/17 and a 245/45ZR/17 in the front, would that look awkward?

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

I understand the desire for a wider look for your rear tires but since you're going with 275's in the rear because of the wheel size ordered I'd go with the same in the front for better handling. I assume these aren't going to be used as tires at the strip so the extra width would make better sense for the street.

Then save so you can get a wider wheel/tire combo on the rear. Nitto 315's fit decently on a WS6. I needed the BFH mod to help the 315's fit on my lowered 2002 WS6.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yup. All depends on the wheel spacing. Some run 315s and have to either pound the inner fender area or roll the lip while others have clearance without issue. Either way, they'll fit and I would recommend an adjustable pan hard bar for centering.

I run the 275/40R 17 front and back and am lowered.
    It's on jackstands.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

That's exactly what I will do. I will keep all 4 the same size. I'd rather have the wider then the height. If the 275/40's were stock for the WS6...then, since I haven't any suspension mods, that's what I will do. I get true answers to my questions here rather then listening to a "salesman" at a tire shop.
    Thanks for the help !!
    Last edited by Nutball; 05-06-2013 at 10:10 AM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Keeping them all the same size means you can rotate fresh tread to the rears!

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Keeping them all the same size means you can rotate fresh tread to the rears!
    That was another reason for keeping them the same.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Got it done today. 275/40ZR/17's
    Happy with these, nice width. Better then the 245/50/16's I originally had. I stuck with the Hankook's even though everybody seems to like the Nitto's
    Almost got the BFG G-Force. But my $$ was running short. I've spend a butt-ton on appearance, I now need to save up again and start some performance upgrades.
    Thanks again to all for your input and suggestions.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any specific plans for the performance mods?

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any specific plans for the performance mods?
    That list can be endless. Since I only have 30k miles on it, anything internal motor will wait. I'd like to start with changing the stock 3.23 gear. My tranny is ok, but seems a bit "loose" or sluggish when I hammer it. Can't seem to find a better way to describe it. I know I will do something with that soon. Some suspension work is definitely in the picture. Would like to swap out my stock throttle body, possibly a new MAF. Been thinking about going with a set of headers but, I don't want it to be super-loud. I got straights on my bike and that's loud enough. I like being low-key. I've got a Dyna-Maxx exhaust now and I kinda like it. When I get on it....You know it. Eventually I would love to change my heads, intake and cam. I'm not planning on racing it but we all want that "lil extra"
    I'm open to suggestions though.
    Since this is my 1st, 4th gen F-body....not sure what else we can do. I had a 1993 Z (LT1) but that had it's share of issues and most of her upgrades were already done.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I recommend doing some suspension mods, LCA's. Torque Arm and at the least SFC's to start with.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I really like the 3.73's in our car. Can still crank down the interstate and not spin the engine too hard. Do you have a mail order tune? If not, Frost also tweaks the transmission settings and your car will be noticeably better. I wouldn't mess with the stock MAF unless you are heading north of 500 h.p. under the hood. It is just one of those parts that should be left alone. GM got it right the first time.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I really like the 3.73's in our car. Can still crank down the interstate and not spin the engine too hard. Do you have a mail order tune? If not, Frost also tweaks the transmission settings and your car will be noticeably better.
    Mail order tune? As far as the tranny tweak...Do I need to go to Frost to have that done? I know hes somewhere in Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA
    I recommend doing some suspension mods, LCA's. Torque Arm and at the least SFC's to start with.
    SFC's?

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6 (M6)

SFC's - subframe connectors to tie the front subframe to the rear subframe.

You might also consider new shocks and springs if you don't have new ones. The ones that came with our cars weren't of high quality so many choices to enhance your ride performance.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

DAM.....Should have known..Sub-Frame Connectors Do they have to be welded or are they a bolt-on item? I ask because I read that Bhunter welded his. As for the shocks, I was looking at the Bilsteins through the WS6 store. I think the suspension will be first on the list. But it's a toss-up between that and the Frost tune, tranny tweek and rear-end gear. Soooo much....soooo little $$
    Thanks for the info on the MAF sensor. Crossed that off my wish list

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Mail order tune will cover it all. He has done ours twice now as the mods have changed over time. I went with bolt in SFC's on our car. Highly recommend the setup from UMI Performance -- built right here in Pennsylvania. I started with the 2 point setup, but then after I got a little more serious about running at the track, I upgraded to 3 point units. Honestly, unless you are going to be racing the car, the 2 points worked great and really tightened things up. The nice thing about bolt ins is that you can always weld them later if you choose to make them permanent.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    Soooo much....soooo little $$

Welcome to the world of Modding.

WARNING, WARNING.... Once the mod bug bites it's difficult to go back, many have never return to normal. Mod bug infections lead to constant looking for and spending money on parts in the quest of going faster and looking better then the average car.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    I really like the 3.73's in our car. Can still crank down the interstate and not spin the engine too hard. Do you have a mail order tune? If not, Frost also tweaks the transmission settings and your car will be noticeably better.
    Mail order tune? As far as the tranny tweak...Do I need to go to Frost to have that done? I know hes somewhere in Indy.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA
    SFC's?

Frost aka Steve is out East, but he has an online mail order tune form you can fill out and mail your PCM to for tuning.

He flew in to Fort Wayne to tune my SS.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

After the tune, and suspension, I'd go exhaust before you dive into the motor.

Maybe a catch can if the budget is tight and bug is biting.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Frost aka Steve is out East, but he has an online mail order tune form you can fill out and mail your PCM to for tuning.

He flew in to Fort Wayne to tune my SS.
    I didn't know he was out East. It probably was your thread.....for some reason I thought it was Indy

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Welcome to the world of Modding.

WARNING, WARNING.... Once the mod bug bites it's difficult to go back, many have never return to normal. Mod bug infections lead to constant looking for and spending money on parts in the quest of going faster and looking better then the average car.
    Been there...done that..... with my bike. I fell victim to the Chrome Crack-house. My friends don't like going to bike-rallys with me because I'll always find something to add-on.

For the mail order tune, what are your suggestions?. Will that also do something for the tranny too? And should I change my gear before sending him my PCM?

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    After the tune, and suspension, I'd go exhaust before you dive into the motor.

Maybe a catch can if the budget is tight and bug is biting.
    Rather happy with my exhaust, but you never know. ...It's summer time and YES the bug is biting. I'll be off work in June/July so...got plenty of time. But for now....working mega OT so I can live through the summer and possibly have a lil fun with this car.
    Last edited by Nutball; 05-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If you're going to change your rear end gear ratio, you should do that before you get a tune. You'll need to have the speedometer corrected for a gear change which is done in the tune. If your car is an A4, he can firm up your shifts. He can also remove the Torque Management. Few other things too. If you get the tune first and then add stuff after, depending on what you get, you may need to get the car re-tuned. Not sure what the cost is for that. Personally, I would get what you plan to, then get the tune once and be done with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information