BLACK
    2001 TRANSAM WS6

NEED HELP ON diagnosing MY 2001 Ws6

First my car is running rough.. sputtering when trying to accelerate, and bogging down...also i keep blowing air pump fuse as fast as i can replace it.. local mechanic said it was showing on code reader misfire in 3 cylinders, he said he doubted that is correct that it would misfire all at same time but he wasnt sure, he is supposed to look at it monday, but i am trying to diagnose and fix myself. could it be egr valve, air pump, coils, all none, or something else. i have already replaced fuel filter. any input or help would be appreciated!!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

did you check spark plugs, wires on tight?
    The air pump shouldn't cause anything to run different and i wouldn't expect EGR to cause that

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Clean your maf it might be something that simple and check plugs and wires like tatertot suggested as well

I also doubt the air pump is causing your car to misfire

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    Clean your maf it might be something that simple
    CRC MAF cleaner

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree on the suggestions above - you may also want to change the fuel filter if you haven't do so recently. Maybe check the fuel pressure as well. The air pump fuse blowing means you either have a short in the wiring, or the air pump motor itself is faulty.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dabatman01 View Post
    i have already replaced fuel filter
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    you may also want to change the fuel filter

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My bad. Missed that one.

I would still check the fuel pressure if the problem is still ocurring after doing the above suggestions.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Maybe it needs a tune-up. I'm gonna guess it could be time for spark plugs and wires. If you know which cylinders are misfiring, you could start by pulling those plugs and wires and inspecting them. Let us know what you find.

black
    2001 Trans Am

Everything stated above, plus you might need to change the O2 sensors and check your air filter too. As far as the EGR valve goes, if your T/A is a '01 it shouldn't have an EGR valve, unless GM put them on the very 1st of the '01's they made.

BLACK
    2001 TRANSAM WS6

Thanks for all the input...

Thanks to all for input on my problem... I got to hot earlier working on my car(over a 100 degrees here where I live), my car has a little over a yr.old rebuilt from bottom up motor with a bigger cam and lifters(comp brand)..recently besides fuel filter I have had new o2 sensors, and new maf and sensor.. The spark plugs wires appeared on good and no damage, didn't check spark plugs yet... I will check the other things here shortly... Will pass on what I find! Thanks again

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Just going to throw this out there, but just because something is "new" doesn't mean it is working properly.

Fuel pressure at the rail should be around 58 PSI.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Thanks to all for input on my problem... I got to hot earlier working on my car(over a 100 degrees here where I live), my car has a little over a yr.old rebuilt from bottom up motor with a bigger cam and lifters(comp brand)..recently besides fuel filter I have had new o2 sensors, and new maf and sensor.. The spark plugs wires appeared on good and no damage, didn't check spark plugs yet... I will check the other things here shortly... Will pass on what I find! Thanks again
    So many people have been fooled by this, only to find out that they were not really tight. However, in your case, sounds like they are ok, since they have not been recently worked on.

I would look at the plugs on the misfiring cylinders, like Cutlass said.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

although an airpump can effect how the car runs it sounds like that's most likely not your problem. If the air pump runs all the time it'll show a false lean and over fuel the car. I would check fuel pressure and go from there.
    It's also fairly hard to eyeball wires and verify that they're good. I had a bad one brand new out of the box on my truck a few years ago that drove me crazy trying to diagnose. Since the wires were brand new I assumed they were good. There ended up being on little "hair" sticking out of the boot that was arcing to the exhaust manifold. Extremely hard to see.
    How many miles on your plugs and wires? If you have anything over 50k I'd probably look at changing both whether they're the problem or not. With 3 cylinders misfiring my first stop would be fuel pressure though.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Thanks to all for input on my problem... I got to hot earlier working on my car(over a 100 degrees here where I live)
    i feel ya on that one stupid oklahoma.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    i feel ya on that one stupid oklahoma.
    I laugh at you're 100 deg temps! That's a cold spell where I live...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

maybe too late to suggest, but could it also be bad fuel? Had same symptoms when I filled up with shitty gas. I pumped 93 octane but I guess their tank had water leaking into it. I poured in HEET let it sit for 10 mins. and problem fixed. Not to mention never going back to that gas station.

Also can't explain fuse problem, besides a spike in power

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I laugh at you're 100 deg temps! That's a cold spell where I live...

Yeah, but it's a dry heat LOL. We just had some 97 degree days, some low 90s also. The 97 was with high humidity, everything just sticks to you and the sweat won't evaporate. The low 90s were with high humidity and some low humidity, it was a huge difference. Some days felt like over 100, the others felt like low-mid 80s, the humidity is the difference maker. I'm sure the sun surface has low humidity!

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    maybe too late to suggest, but could it also be bad fuel? Had same symptoms when I filled up with shitty gas. I pumped 93 octane but I guess their tank had water leaking into it. I poured in HEET let it sit for 10 mins. and problem fixed. Not to mention never going back to that gas station.

Also can't explain fuse problem, besides a spike in power
    It's possible that OP has some bad gas, but that should be more of a random misfire than 3 specific cylinders. Wonder what he's found out....

Thread Information