white
    1999 Trans Am

Need Help BAD!!!! Passenger Side Window Wont Roll Up!!!

I made the mistake of letting my wife drive my 1999 Trans Am LS1 yesterday and she rolled the power passenger side window down and now it wont roll back up. It rolls, or rolled down fine, but makes a buzzing sound as your trying to roll it back up. I took the doorpanel off and everything looked normal. I tried picking up on the window as I hit the up button but it wouldnt budge.. I tried drivers side and passenger side buttons seperate and in unison and NOTHING!!! How do i at least get it back up so I wont have to plastic it over or something? Is it the motor or something else? I need it up very very badly because its supposed to rain and snow for the next 2 days plus its 35 degrees outside this morning!!! Please help me ASAP!!!! Thanks guys! I dont know what I'd do without this site!! ITS GREAT!!!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Without being there looking at it I'm 90% sure the motor died on you, they do that. Something the brain trust at GM over looked when they designed the electrical.

If it still slides up and down without wobble then most likely your regulator is still ok.

For the immediate fix replace the motor, takes about 20-30 mins. I've use these directions on both doors and it has never failed.

Power Window Motor

Easier and quicker if you use these directions

Next, to fix main reason the passenger motor dies on us.

AutoTrix :: Passenger Window Fix Kit

Best $40 you'll spend on your car. Takes an hr to instal but well worth it.

Why is it happening - GM runs the power wire to the passenger motor through the drivers motor. By the time it gets to the passenger side it is under power. Just has enough to barely run it. That's why it goes up slowly when you roll both up.

white
    1999 Trans Am

Thanks for the quick reply.. Thats why this site is the BEST!!! I was afraid it'd be the motor. Why in the hell do they rivet the motor to the door and then hide the rivets where you have to drill a hole just to get to them to drill them out? If that aint stupid I dont know what is!!! Is it going to make a difference that my window is rolled down instead of up, (and out of the way), when I try to remove the motor, drill the rivets, or replace the motor? I assume after the motor is removed I will be able to pull the window up by hand in order to replace motor easier. Ive changed plenty of Toyota truck, 4-Runner, and Supra window motors but I just got the feeling this one is going to be a B!%@$!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

comes down to assembly line function. The window motor and regulator are built off site, then mated together, then ship to whoever makes the doors, then it is placed inside, next the glass guy, then door is placed on body....you get the picture....

My regulator gave out during a heavy shower on the way to work, got soak as hell and had to take it to a shop to fix it. I would have done it but being at work and in a down pour with no tools was just too much.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

My passenger window did the same thing a few months back. The fix? New window motor. Mine was fairly easy, though, as the motor had been replaced previously so I didn't have to drill any holes in the door panel. Biggest pain was getting the door back together.
    Last edited by FinZ28; 10-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

buddy I feel the pain, I got home from work at 4am and was ready for bed, then I came to find my driver window wouldnt roll up, I had to take the motor off and lift the window by hand in the parking lot, ended up being a bad switch that decided to fail after I rolled it down

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I had one done under warranty and did one myself after the replacement did a year later.

Thread Information