2000 Trans Am

Need Help Asap!!!

Well last weekend I put all new rotors and pads on my trans am! Everything bolted up fine and worked good but i noticed the brake petal was a little more squichy then usual! Common after installing new pads and rotors. It was driveable but more annoying then anything. So today i took it to someone to have the brakes bled. I get a phone call about an hour later saying that the master cylinder went bad!?!?!?!?!?!? So I get there and pay for the job and when I get into the car the brake pedal goes straight to the flooR!!!!!!! So I go back in there and tell them it is worse then before!!!! And he explains to me that the master cylinder is shot!? Can this just happen like that! Go from great pedal to no pedal or is this guy trying to F*&% me? I took it to another mechanic and he says they may have ran the cylinder dry! There was still fluid in the resevoir and he said the idiots could have just re filled it! Any thoughts or clues as to what went wrong? Or is the first guy trying to screw me?!?!? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Sounds like the first guy screwed you. Sorry dude. That sucks. I think you just needed to bleed your brakes again and waited a little longer. I had to change my master cylinder in my 97 silverado one time at 55k miles, they do go out sometimes.

I say take it to a GM dealership. They know best. Most GM brake systems are all the same, and they work on that stuff everyday. It might cost a little more, but atleast they warranty their work for lifetime.

Oh! Also, sometimes if the dealer finds something wrong, which the first guy did wrong, you can try to have him pay to get it fixed at the dealership. - I did that one time on my Grand Am.

I've helped do a couple pad/rotor installs and never opened any lines - we just uncapped the master to allow for pushing the pistons back, and didn't have to bleed the brakes. Not an expert but thinking if they let it run dry while bleeding then the ABS also needs to be bled.

Burgandy
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

i think the guy screwed you too. i have done many brake jobs. I have learned that mechanics mostly suck and just out to rape you of your money. I also think maybe u might have needed to bleed them some. i have had that problem before with soft pedals after doing brakes but not bleeding them. I also have had master cylinders go out..but i dont ever recall one doing what happened to you.. sorry man but might have just been F-ed in the A by another crooked mechanic.
    its a shame what some will do..

2000 Trans Am

Thanks for the help guys! So how do i fix it do i just re bleed the brakes? The right way?

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Yea just bleed them once or even twice more and you shoud be able to get any air bubbles out of the lines and that will give you your stopping power back. Sorry to hear what happened, better luck next time.

2000 Trans Am

Well needless to say the first mechanic tried to f%&* ME!!! I can't believe some people! The second mechanic did fix it. And only cost me 50.00. So i am gonna go back there tomorrow and get my money back from the first idiots!! Thanks again everyone for the input!

Burgandy
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Well needless to say the first mechanic tried to f%&* ME!!! I can't believe some people! The second mechanic did fix it. And only cost me 50.00. So i am gonna go back there tomorrow and get my money back from the first idiots!! Thanks again everyone for the input!
    good to hear everything worked out for ya man..some mechanics just are so f-ed up. thats why im glad i learned how to do most of my own stuff..saved me many thousands of dollars in labor.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02TransSD View Post
    good to hear everything worked out for ya man..some mechanics just are so f-ed up. thats why im glad i learned how to do most of my own stuff..saved me many thousands of dollars in labor.
    Thanks buddy i appreciate it. little by little i am trying to work on my car.

Thread Information