Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Need header advice 2002 ws6

I'm considering getting some headers to compliment the other external engine changes I have made. My way of thinking is to get as much HP out of the motor as possible without doing internal modifications. So basically I'm running a pretty stock unit with Magnaflow Quad Tip, Tune by Frost, just updated MSD Wires and Delco Platinum plugs. I do plan on adding a Lid in the near future. I'm running a stock auto trans and a factory 3:23 rear gear.
    My question is will adding headers help give a little better performance without adding cam and head mods? I know it will make my exhaust system sound better and my guess is they would help the engine breath better which should add up to more performance.
    I'm also wondering if I need to send my PCM back to Frost if I add the headers.
    Would appreciate everyone's advice. Then I'll need a good exhaust shop in Northern NJ to do the right install. This is one modification I don't want to try and tackle.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Headers will free up the exhaust flow, def. worth doing. Match it with a new y pipe and you'll perfect for the mod you have.

IMO don't go cheap on the headers.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I have Pacesetter coated longtubes with off-road ypipe (no cats). Pretty loud but sounds much better. Been running them for 90k miles almost daily with no issues. Used Stage 8 header bolts, only had to tighten them twice (maybe a quarter turn) in that many miles. No matter what brand headers you go with, I highly recommend Stage 8 bolts to prevent exhaust leaks at the head.

Also my state inspections are nonexistent, hence no cats. Be aware of you're state laws. (Whether you follow them or not lol)

Sent from my Samsung "Look it's The Darkness!!!" Infuse 4G

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

2002 trans am ws6

Imo
    If you do header you will definitely feel the difference. as far as sending the pcm, you might want to do that just because he can remove the code from the rear o2 sensors and squeeze a few more ponies. Even if you put high flow cats the rear o2 sensors are going to throw codes.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

With a good set of LTH and a 3" Y pipe you should pick up 15 plus HP and sending the pcm back to Frost will only help keep your car tuned perfectly and eliminate codes. I have high flow cats ( SLP ) on my system and they even pass New Jersey inspection which is almost as hard as California. Good luck with the project.
    Last edited by 2002ssslp; 04-01-2012 at 10:50 AM.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

You can easily run the car without Frost retuning it. The cars do tend to run a little on the rich side untuned and you will see a decrease in gas mileage but the car will still run fine. Upside is having the rear 02s tuned out since they tend to have issues after header installs plus a proper tune will get a little more HP out of them. Well worth it imo.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Yup, definitely worth it. You can have a shop do it or do it yourself, it's really not that big of a pain if you have basic mechanical skills and some patience.
    And i would look into Texas Speeds new released stainless headers and Y-pipe, looks like an awesome bang for your buck

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Yup, definitely worth it. You can have a shop do it or do it yourself, it's really not that big of a pain if you have basic mechanical skills and some patience.
    And i would look into Texas Speeds new released stainless headers and Y-pipe, looks like an awesome bang for your buck
    I ordered the 1 7/8 headers, y-pipe, new gaskets and 02 extensions for less than 700 shipped. Just waiting on it all to come in since the y-pipe is still on back order.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I ordered the 1 7/8 headers, y-pipe, new gaskets and 02 extensions for less than 700 shipped. Just waiting on it all to come in since the y-pipe is still on back order.
    What style gasket did you order?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

The GM Multi-Layer Steel Exhaust Gaskets.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stock GM gasket is the way to go. I think the Kooks headers came with Percy's gaskets... never even opened them.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Chase: I went on their website but couldn't find them. Do you have a part number? Would be much appreciated. I'm a little green when it comes to headers, do you now have a pair of High Flow Cats?
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    With a good set of LTH and a 3" Y pipe you should pick up 15 plus HP and sending the pcm back to Frost will only help keep your car tuned perfectly and eliminate codes. I have high flow cats ( SLP ) on my system and they even pass New Jersey inspection which is almost as hard as California. Good luck with the project.
    Keith: You're not far from me in NJ. Who did you use?

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Chase: I went on their website but couldn't find them. Do you have a part number? Would be much appreciated. I'm a little green when it comes to headers, do you now have a pair of High Flow Cats?
    I have a pair of high flow magnaflow cats on the car now but they are for the stock location. Those will be going away with the new setup and Ill be going catless. Alot easier to do here then in NJ. TSP does have a catted y-pipe. $130 for offroad and 325 for catted.

The headers are part #25-1784G304 and then you can choose your y-pipe, gaskets and extensions in the drop down boxes right below the description.
    Last edited by raynor139; 04-03-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Thank you

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

I went ahead and ordered Kooks LTH and X-Pipe with high flow cats. I wanted to go with a quality product that had a good rep for workmanship and performance.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

You will not be disappointed. Good choice.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    You will not be disappointed. Good choice.
    Hey Jeff:
    Do you, or anyone reading this post, have the specific reorder # for the GM Multi Layer Steel Exhaust Gaskets ? I'd like to get them pronto as my headers and cat pipe are being shipped this week.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like the GM P/N is 12617944.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Redrokit8 View Post
    Keith: You're not far from me in NJ. Who did you use?
    Sorry about the delay. I have a guy in Newton, actually two shops in Newton, NJ but that is over 45 minutes from Roseland. I grew up in Caldwell. If you want the numbers for them I will post them for you but there are a couple of speed shops in Denville, one with a dyno who can also do the job for you. Let me know what you want to do. You can reach me at 973-271-4241.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Thread Information