Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mystic Teal
    1998 Firebird

Need of a bigger engine

I'm tired of people making fun of my car cause it's a V6, so I've decided to upgrade. My first question is what is the biggest size engine I can fit in my Firebird? A friend told me that any small block would fit, but I don't believe that cause I've never seen any F-body with a 450. My next question is which do yall think I should upgrade to, an LT1 or an LS1? My grandpa has an LT1 engine block with the wiring harness in his shop which would save me alot of money and the parts for it are less expensive than the LS1. But the LS1 is aluminum and faster, however, it is more expensive. Plus, I am on a budget so I was kinda leaning toward the LT1. So I really need yalls opinion on this decision. Thanks
    1998 Firebird, 17" chrome ZR1 rims, 275s front and back, magnaflow exhaust, LED green accents on exterior, blue neon accents in interior, new Sony sound system; replaced all stock speakers, two 12s, two tweeters, Xplod 1600 watt amp, and Xplod radio head unit

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Firebird98 View Post
    I'm tired of people making fun of my car cause it's a V6, so I've decided to upgrade. My first question is what is the biggest size engine I can fit in my Firebird? A friend told me that any small block would fit, but I don't believe that cause I've never seen any F-body with a 450. My next question is which do yall think I should upgrade to, an LT1 or an LS1? My grandpa has an LT1 engine block with the wiring harness in his shop which would save me alot of money and the parts for it are less expensive than the LS1. But the LS1 is aluminum and faster, however, it is more expensive. Plus, I am on a budget so I was kinda leaning toward the LT1. So I really need yalls opinion on this decision. Thanks
    ok let me hit this for ya in parts

any gm SBC gen II+ will fit i am pretty sure ..well actually i think basically any small block could fit..but in general since you are a 98 any genIII+ sbc can fit

as it is a 98 i would stay with the period correct engine..so a ls1 or greater. Without going into the problems you will run into with a v6 to v8 swap i again would stick with the ls1..even though you said you have a lt1 available.

the lt1 gets a bad rap do to its shitty top end..lt1s have been known to go low times with some really good power with just a top end swap ..so dont let the "ls1 is faster then a lt1" thing stop you if you decide to go lt1...and doing a wire harness swap is/would be a pain in the ass...i would think a better option for you might be to pick up a rolling chassis early 4th gen bird...drop that lt1 in ..after you do some work with it..then bam! you got yourself a very nice lt1 bird.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

people will make fun of you for having an lt1 in a 98+ firebird that supposed to have an ls1, built or not, i'd go find an old 93-97 formula or firebird to do a swap, thay are dirt cheap right now and, in my opinion, those are the best looking f-body when they have a trans am spoiler on the back,

check this one out:
    http://www.highperformancepontiac.co.../photo_07.html

also while your working on it you can still have a drivable car

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

For the price of the swap....sell the V6 car and get a V8 car.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Sorry but a 450 would be a big block. And yes there's been big blocks in f-bodies. Ever see the 455 TA's.

If you're on a budget, I'd say go with the LT1. While it lacks the initial power and modding abilities of the LS1, it'll at least be a huge improvement over the v6 you're running now

Oh and LT1's and LS1's are both small blocks.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    +1 here.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

+2 Go shopping.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

+3 in my opinion it'd be a waste of time and money to do the swap, just find a f-body with a v8 in it already, there are alot out there that are very affordable these days.

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

i agree buy a new car, one without
    neon green and blue lights.
    guys will always give you crap for what you drive....but a v-8 that has no rice features is a good start.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Or spool the v6!! People build budget v6's all the time that make great power.. I'm not a big fan of the 3800 though I own one. I'm doing the "swap" to and ls1 next year on mine. But I can afford to buy an all new in the box package. My car is loaded and in show room shape aswell. I'm starting over from the ground up.

Everyone says "buy one that has a v8 in it already!" Guess they missed the part about you being on a budget? It's getting harder and harder to find ls1 powered f-bodies that do'nt have the shit kicked out of them. Then you'll be back here looking for a motor, trans, and rear again.

Most of them anymore have more Mickey Mouse going on under their hoods than Disney World. . Neglect is super common with these cars as you'll find out in your search for used stuff. Especially if you're on a tight budget and can't afford a clean one.

Expect to spend a ton of money turning the car you have into a stockish v8 car. You can easily spend the same money possibly even less on just modding what you already own. It all depends on your budget and hp goals..

Spooled or SC 3800s have been putting a hurtin' on plenty of stock v8 for a long long time. Not all of course but still plenty of v8 have fallen prey to v6's. Plenty have done it N/A tuned aswell! The after market for the 3800 is huge.. Cams, Headers, intakes, and on and on.. I mean try telling a guy with a built Buick Grand National with a turbo 3.8L pulling wheel stands, or running 10's he should have replaced it with a stock v8!!
    Last edited by Smittro; 09-25-2009 at 12:09 PM.

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post
    Sorry but a 450 would be a big block. And yes there's been big blocks in f-bodies. Ever see the 455 TA's.

If you're on a budget, I'd say go with the LT1. While it lacks the initial power and modding abilities of the LS1, it'll at least be a huge improvement over the v6 you're running now

there is a sleeved 454 small block out there. so not true.

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

I know about that. I'm talkin old school engines.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by adam0321 View Post
    i agree buy a new car, one without
    neon green and blue lights.
    guys will always give you crap for what you drive....but a v-8 that has no rice features is a good start.
    First off, my car is not a ricer, the only things that are lit up are the subwoofers and speakers which glow blue and the gills behind the front wheels that glow green and it all looks pretty clean. Second, this is my first car that was given to me by my grandpa and on top of that, I'm only 17, so I really want to keep my baby. So my only options are to either modify the V6 or just drop in a V8. So what do yall think it will cost to put in the LT1? Probably around 2000? Knowing that my grandpa has the block and he owns all the equipment needed to drop it in

Pewter
    2001 GrandPrix GTP

Not being a dick but ANY LIGHTS that aren't supposed to be there are ricer wether they look clean or not.

Yes.
    bunch of them

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    there is a sleeved 454 small block out there. so not true.

Beat me to it. My LSx displaces 454 CI and still looks mighty small blockish.

1998 Trans Am

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

First off, my car is not a ricer, the only things that are lit up are the subwoofers and speakers which glow blue and the gills behind the front wheels that glow green and it all looks pretty clean. Second, this is my first car that was given to me by my grandpa and on top of that, I'm only 17, so I really want to keep my baby. So my only options are to either modify the V6 or just drop in a V8. So what do yall think it will cost to put in the LT1? Probably around 2000? Knowing that my grandpa has the block and he owns all the equipment needed to drop it in
    I would guess $5000 and up once all is said and done.

You could actually just keep the Firebird and get yourself an LS1 powered car for the cost of the LT1 swap.
    Keep in mind, you need the motor, a tranny, the computer, and labor costs to cover.

1998 Trans Am

ahh first car syndrome, i had it too with my v6 'maro i understand it, i was thinking about an lt1 swap until it got annilhated by a drunk driver,

luos about right, 5000 plus i'd say a two week waiting period at the very best, you also will need v8 150mph gauges, all new wiring, and i believe a v8 suspension is different, it'll be a hellacious swap because of how ls1 bodies were not meant to house lt1's,

i would REALLY consider a highmilage running or not lt1 car you can get for like $2000 or less that you can just swap the old motor out of (and have extra parts)and then get back on the road and have your v6 to drive while in the process, then when it's done, you can take all your stereo equipment out and move it to the v8 car, then you can sell it or have it for back up depending on your financial situation,

just trying to help, i'm 18 i know what its like to love your first car, i've had three now and sometimes you just have to move on,

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

well i agree that any lights that dont belong are rice...but hey amn its your car different strokes for different folks and all that stuff, but as far as a swap goes. My first car was a 92 4cyl mustang lx and i thought about swaping to a 5.0 then I had a 1990 v-6 firebird. and again thought about a swap. there is no cost effective way to do it, simply to much stuff needs to be changed. listen to the words of expierence. most of us have been there with a v-6 that we loved..
    BUY ANOTHER CAR W A V-8

shop craigs list and the used car sites theres one out there

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

496 warhawk

Thread Information