black
    01 ws6

Need advice... just got in a car accident, hit and run

I was driving home from work on thursday, going maybe 40 miles an hour on the freeway (rush hour) when I switch to the lane right before the exit lane and im at the blindspot of a gray silverado, he switches into my lane without signaling and real quickly he bumps me with his rear tire, I spin out, and I hit the center divider, spin back into the freeway and somehow reverse back into the center divider... He drove off and im not sure if anyone got his license plate, ambulance was like 4 cars down and saw everything happen and chased after him trying to get his plate....

Here's my problem.

I bought the car 4 months ago, owe about 8,500 on it, it's a 99 trans am

Both airbags deployed, the front bumper on the right side is damaged, headlight, and fender a little. Rear bumper got pushed in a little, hatch works perfectly fine. Engine isn't leaking anything, just radiator got smashed... the insurance is telling me they are probably going to total it but wont be able to have someone look at it till like wednesday MAYBE, unless I can get a quote from someone to fix it then maybe they will just fix it...

Should I try and get it fixed? I know of a couple of reliable body work guys, who have done work for me before and did a great job... the insurance says if they dont fix it, I can buy it back for 1,000, which I'll probably do anyways... sell all the parts... But, I probably won't get any money from the insurance adjuster, and end up taking a total loss from the down payment, and last 4 monthly payments I've made ($4000 total). What should I do?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

some guy just got back about 9500 for his totaled car, so you should come out only a few$ in the hole.

dude, that sucks! you totally just got that car too!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Black
    99 SS

get it fixed if your going to loose money

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'm sure that that there are independant lawyers out there that can help your case, because if it wasnt your fault and the guy fled, the lawyers will find the loopholes in the law and insurance to get you money back and maybe you will even get some sort of compensation

Silver
    98 Trans Am

eddielb, what happened with your car?

Red
    1999 TA | 2001 SW Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    i'm sure that that there are independant lawyers out there that can help your case, because if it wasnt your fault and the guy fled, the lawyers will find the loopholes in the law and insurance to get you money back and maybe you will even get some sort of compensation
    Yeah and use the EMT's as a good reference. That will help build your case alot. That's odd that you're going to loose money. Most people I know who get in accident's that aren't their faults get more money back. I know 2 people around here who have. Maybe its the insurance co's..
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am - Borla[]Hurst Shifter[]CETA mod[]Stock wheels painted black[]Red Calipers[]LS7 Clutch[] sold
    2001 Speedway White Z06 [] Ruff Racing 278

flat black
    you wont loose your money...they have to give you the money if they total it...but you can still buy the car back...i mean honestly...what are they gonna do with a totaled T/A....sell it...so you might as well buy it back...your car will be paid off...just fix it and start the mods

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I was just in a hit n run a couple of weeks ago. The guy clipped my front end and ended up breaking my fender and cracking my bumper. The damage looked fairly minor. The only part that really needs to be replaced is the fender. The insurance adjuster called me after I took the car in to the shop and told me there was over $4000 in damage. I though it was BS because I looked up the parts I would need online and I could fix the car myself for under $500. The insurance is paying everything though so I guess it doesn't matter. I definately would say that your car is totalled. Well at least as far as the insurance company is concerned.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Don't keep the car. After a major accident cars tend to become misaligned. You could be dealing with a vehicle that never runs the same.

My advise is to take the money. If they ever find the bastard that hit it sue them in small claims court, don't go through an attorney (I use to work with attorneys, they are all a^&holes, and you end up winning the lawsuit just to pay them off half the time, let alone for all the trial time that you will be looking at). If they catch the guy feel free to contact me and i'll help you through the small claims process for free (I'm a good hearted person, which is not what you'll find w/ attorneys).
    2001 T/A WS6 M6
    LS6 Cam/Springs, Lid, SLP Pulley, Magnaflow Catback, TBCB, Richmond 4.10 gearing, Panhard Rod, Strut Tower Brace, Low Control Arms, Lou Thesz Short Stick
    Dyno 351rwhp/341rwtq, and tuned by RacePrep via HP Tuners.

Thread Information