Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

name that sound.... new guy

This is a discussion on name that sound.... new guy within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; also more information... this oil change i changed to castrol 10-30w synth. it had mobil 1 something in it... possibly ...

blue
    2001 trans am

also more information... this oil change i changed to castrol 10-30w synth. it had mobil 1 something in it... possibly the difference in weight ? it didnt do it before the oil change... no metal in oil either.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The cats were replaceable under an extended warranty offered by GM that has since expired. Generally, your mileage will take a dive, performance will be poor, and you will either hear your exhaust rattling or will have chunks coming out of the tailpipe.

blue
    2001 trans am

i am glad at least one person is keeping an eye on this thread ha, i also posted this in ls1tech.com and its been 3days or something with no responses. There isnt anything coming out of exhaust. got around 20mpg so i guess im fine on that end. going to run some seafoam in the oil to see if its a sticky lifter, and because i put a magnet into the oil spout and it had some old oil sludge on it after one second of being in there (i was looking for a pin or something from the lifter that could have fallen down) so i figured it cant hurt right? its fresh oil but oh well

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you don't find anything, it certainly wouldn't hurt to pull the rocker cover on the side that the sound seems to emanate from. Other than the very back bolt on the coil pack it is a simple thing to do.

blue
    2001 trans am

i may do it, new gaskets never hurt. from using the socket extension its really coming from the front 2 cylinders, and i have to say its probably the passenger side front. but when i put the extension on the valve cover i cant hear the noise, its just like water running maybe im not getting a good spot for sound to travel. i still feel like if the rods were bent i would have a misfire or something, bad performance or mpg but everything is fine.

blue
    2001 trans am

also, i looked earlier today i couldnt see that back bolt which means it must be a major pain

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Not a major pain, just not the easiest thing to get at. I think a ratcheting 10mm wrench makes the job a bit simpler. Some guys even leave that bolt out when they re-install the packs.

blue
    2001 trans am

obviously i can look for loose rockers easily but if i start pulling rods should i just not change them anyway? If yes what brand/ length i notice advance auto sells some for $80 for 16, its not SLP brand but its better then stock right?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I don't think I would toss parts store push rods in my car unless I was desparate. Better to go with a name brand component -- check either your Jeg's or Summit catalogue for stock length replacements.

Pewter Silver
    2002 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Not a major pain, just not the easiest thing to get at. I think a ratcheting 10mm wrench makes the job a bit simpler. Some guys even leave that bolt out when they re-install the packs.
    Oh yeah, leave the rear coil pack bolt off. I my case I not only left that off but a nice new 10mm deep socket that is somewhere mysteriously hidden within the deep dark depths beneath my motor. I'm doing my rotors this weekend and hopefully I'll find it with the front wheels off.
    Magnaflow Quad Tip, Lid, SBellow
    UMI: FTC, FSB, RSB, LCA's, PBAR, SFC's, T-Arm w/relo, D/S Loop
    Kooks LTH, 3" YP, H/F Cats
    Custom Grind Cam, Stall, 3:73 rear
    Bilsteins w/Strano Springs Conti Super Contacts
    TuneByFrost MSD Wires
    Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors w/Ceramic

blue
    2001 trans am

i can get comp cams pushrods from advance. Buy Competition Cams Pushrod Set, BBC 7154-16 at Advance Auto Parts dont know if they are worthy though

blue
    2001 trans am

also... had 87 octane mixed with 93.. and some techrone fuel injector cleaner and like 1/8 can of seafoam because i had it laying around...

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by lipsasaurus View Post
    obviously i can look for loose rockers easily but if i start pulling rods should i just not change them anyway? If yes what brand/ length i notice advance auto sells some for $80 for 16, its not SLP brand but its better then stock right?
    SLP is about as close to junk as auto parts store stuff. Its over priced and low quality. The lid is the only thing that most people agree is good from them. But then again its plastic hard to mess that up.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

SLP line lock works good too.

blue
    2001 trans am

well maybe if i give more information someone else may have an idea.... the tick is fairly quite, you cant hear it unless your not driving and the music is off. if your outside the car its noticeable and its loudest under the passenger side. This sound does not go through the rpm range only up to 2k at most, i have heard that if the cat brick is lose it can rattle around but i have no codes on anything, no past codes either

blue
    2001 trans am

Mybe its the oil pimp o ring. There are normally a few air bubbles on the oil dipstick. Noticed alot of them when I changed the oil. No metal shavings or sparkles

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have never had air bubbles appear on the dipstick or during an oil change. Any chance you have too much oil in the engine?

blue
    2001 trans am

oh yes very possible. i put in 1/2 quart maybe 1/4 at least on top of the other 5 qts and i also put some seafoam in the oil to fix any sticky lifters, not trying to start a debate but i am a huge fan of seafoam so i trust it, used it on every car and motorcycle.... anyway, the seafoam is slowly evaporating out i believe... Now i made some videos of with the acc. belt on and off, i left the camera beside my intake so it may not sound like anything.... i also put a socket extension on the cat, didnt hear anything louder, also put it on the oil pan and tranny, also quite.... now its loudest where a casting number is, its like 243 or something, i did leave the oil fill cap off and run the car, i see the rocker moving at least a little, but i dont see any oil spraying or pumping. possibly my problem, if not its the water pump. ALSO i would LOVE A link to how to change the rack and pinion... mine was leaky ordered a new one, its time to change it. no idea how. sorry about all the annoying posts, just worried... still running strong burned some rubber today. i will upload an exhaust video

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

With filter change, oil capacity is real close to 5.5 quarts. Seafoam is essentially a solvent and it is not something I would do all the time. Better to run Penzoil Platinum in the crankcase and add 1 ounce of TC-W3 rated 2 stroke oil to every 5 gallons of gas. No joke...

blue
    2001 trans am

i dont use seafoam in oil is not something i do often, only when i feel like there is sludge, and like i said my magnet came out with some on it so i figured why not... however should i be seeing a spray or squirt of oil from the oil fill hole? i can sea one rocker from the hole but no spray

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information