Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

My Wifes WS6 is going TURBO! (PICS)

This is a discussion on My Wifes WS6 is going TURBO! (PICS) within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 I didnt mean it as in its limited to I am just saying as in thats ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    I didnt mean it as in its limited to I am just saying as in thats all you ever see people running it on mostly. And I still will stick to a roots style sounds better and I love the power range of them, makes your car a tourqy lil bastard.
    Because thats all you can run on a stock ls1 long block. The comp ratio is too high and the non forged bottom end means bad news if you run more than 8psi. Engines built for boost run alot more.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Yup you are very correct.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Because thats all you can run on a stock ls1 long block. The comp ratio is too high and the non forged bottom end means bad news if you run more than 8psi. Engines built for boost run alot more.
    The stock LS1 crank is nodular iron and the rods are powdered metal. Both are very strong, powdered metal rods are second only to fully forged rods, and the nodular crank is strong enough to take just about anything you can throw at it. Its not even close to being as weak as you make it sound.

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    The stock LS1 crank is nodular iron and the rods are powdered metal. Both are very strong, powdered metal rods are second only to fully forged rods, and the nodular crank is strong enough to take just about anything you can throw at it. Its not even close to being as weak as you make it sound.
    na its definitly not weak by any means I have seen stock bottom end 4th gens runs low 10's consistent and have no problems on a fair amount of boost and N20. A forged bottomend would be even stronger tho.
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

red
    2002 ss camaro

he was not saying that the motor was week it is just that with the compression ratio that bottom end can only handle about 8 lbs then it becomes suspect. I believe that the block becomes suspect first though. I cracked a water sleeve with 8lbs of boost. now I am forged n/a
    [/SIGPIC]02 SS LE 402 lQ9 516rwhp 470rwtq.fast 92/92 . 3.73 gears in ten bolt going to fab 9. bmr lca's, tq arm , phb, Bonspeed Deltas 18x9 up front with 18x10 out back.
    VIRGINIASPEED.COM http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynamo...eed-402-a.html

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    he was not saying that the motor was week it is just that with the compression ratio that bottom end can only handle about 8 lbs then it becomes suspect. I believe that the block becomes suspect first though. I cracked a water sleeve with 8lbs of boost. now I am forged n/a

Thank you, when did i ever say the bottom end was weak. All i said is the ls1 long block doesnt take boost well for obvious reasons. IMO if your gonna go with a 8psi bolt on kit, then you should have just gone with a cam/head setup make the same power but with much more reliability. People damage these engines even with the 8psi kits as posted above.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information