Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

my quest for a TA leads to more questions

I'm looking at this 00 ws6, 40k miles, m6. They said the computer chip was a power programmer for shift points?
    Another thing they sent me pics, and the guages are white and for some reason there are cracks on each of the trim pieces on the interior. I attached some pics. Please let me know if you guys see anything out of the ordinary...
    The price is 12K, is that fair?

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

looks normal my car has that crack on the door panel too and the aftermarket white gauge layout but i took it off.

2011 Prius

That's not a bad price, I would probably buy it, talk them down to $11,000 if you could. If I feel ballsy, I would offer $10,000

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Besides that crack the whole chip thing is weird, unless they are talking about the skip shift there is no chip.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

door crack is normal, mine has it. white gauges are aftermarket. car dealers still refer to everything as "chips" the car was probably tuned and like some one else saif maybe CAGs was eliminated.

otherwise car looks very very clean. price is decent 11k seems like a good price unless its mint which most arent.

it's a private owner. They described the "chip" as a power programmer custom engine tuning for computer for shift points...

I talked to my buddy he said, 99% for the crack is trying to replace to motor for the window...

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Niccee!! I'd say it looks like a good deal. As for the shift points.. Uhmm its manual.. I'm pretty sure u shift when u want.. I'd say that's a good price too talk him down as much as u can but for a ta it seems to be a good deal. Good luck man.
    2001 Camaro SS M6 SLP LMII, Lid
    1987 iroc-z RIP 5.7 TPI Full exhaust, lingenfelter intake runners (gone but not forgotten)
    1991 bmw 325i DD

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I posted this list before, so I'll just cut and paste it here with some updates -- some things to look for:

1. Unusual tire wear which may indicate alignment or suspension bushing issues.

2. Blown speakers - the Monsoon system is notorious for these. In our car, the seller had the bass turned down to try to mask this.

3. Make sure it has its emission equipment intact - cats, O2 sensors, secondary air (if these are an issue in your state).

4. It is common for there to be cracks in the top of the door panels several inches from the back of the doors.

5. The rear end is probably going to be weeping around the pinion seal - this is normal for the stock rear.

6. Check to make sure the SES lights up at start up and that it hasn't been removed to hide something.

7. Wouldn't hurt to also plug in an OBDII scanner just to check for codes, even if the light is not on.

8. The hatch release may be a little weak - can be fixed with a simple spring addition.

9. Check the fitment of the doors and T-tops - nice even gaps.

10. Try all the electrical accessories.

11. Drive it... drive it... drive it.

12. Pay attention to how the A4/M6 shifts and feels, and listen for any unusual sounds from the rear.

13. It is normal for the engine to be a little noisy at cold start up -- piston slap is common in these cars and goes away as the engine warms up.

14. Check all fluids, pull both the radiator cap and oil fill cap and check for evidence of gunk and excessive moisture (oil cap only).

15. The build codes are on the back edge of the driver door -- you should find "WS6" listed there.

16. Turn the headlights on a off a few times and listen for any unusual noises when they raise and lower as the gears can strip out.

17. If the car has an aftermarket lid, check the seal at the rear to make sure there are no gaps that will allow dirt into the engine.

18. Uncouple the lid and check the MAF to ensure that it has not been de-screened and de-bladed. Our car had a hacked up MAF when we bought it and it had an off idle stumble. Replaced the MAF (almost $200) to fix this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I posted this list before, so I'll just cut and paste it here with some updates -- some things to look for:

1. Unusual tire wear which may indicate alignment or suspension bushing issues.

2. Blown speakers - the Monsoon system is notorious for these. In our car, the seller had the bass turned down to try to mask this.

3. Make sure it has its emission equipment intact - cats, O2 sensors, secondary air (if these are an issue in your state).

4. It is common for there to be cracks in the top of the door panels several inches from the back of the doors.

5. The rear end is probably going to be weeping around the pinion seal - this is normal for the stock rear.

6. Check to make sure the SES lights up at start up and that it hasn't been removed to hide something.

7. Wouldn't hurt to also plug in an OBDII scanner just to check for codes, even if the light is not on.

8. The hatch release may be a little weak - can be fixed with a simple spring addition.

9. Check the fitment of the doors and T-tops - nice even gaps.

10. Try all the electrical accessories.

11. Drive it... drive it... drive it.

12. Pay attention to how the A4/M6 shifts and feels, and listen for any unusual sounds from the rear.

13. It is normal for the engine to be a little noisy at cold start up -- piston slap is common in these cars and goes away as the engine warms up.

14. Check all fluids, pull both the radiator cap and oil fill cap and check for evidence of gunk and excessive moisture (oil cap only).

15. The build codes are on the back edge of the driver door -- you should find "WS6" listed there.

16. Turn the headlights on a off a few times and listen for any unusual noises when they raise and lower as the gears can strip out.

17. If the car has an aftermarket lid, check the seal at the rear to make sure there are no gaps that will allow dirt into the engine.

18. Uncouple the lid and check the MAF to ensure that it has not been de-screened and de-bladed. Our car had a hacked up MAF when we bought it and it had an off idle stumble. Replaced the MAF (almost $200) to fix this issue.
    thanks!

for those cracked pieces, anyone know what those run?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by stang1101 View Post
    for those cracked pieces, anyone know what those run?
    Probably pretty expensive -- there are specialty F-body used parts vendors such as Hawks Third Gen and Trans Am Creations, but my guess is that there supply is probably limited or non-existent due to demand. Check this out for some additional info: http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html

Gold
    1998 Formula

Jet Performance makes a module(CHIP) that plugs in the pcm for the ls1 cars.
    You could see it if they had one by looking where the wiring harness plugs into the pcm.

Click to view a larger picture of the Power Control Module | Stage 2 | Auto Transmission
    view larger
    Power Control Module | Stage 2 | Auto Transmission
    Part #: 10014S

Add up to 25 horsepower instantly with simple, plug-in installation! Only JET Performance Modules provide exclusive, full range Dynamic Spectrum Tuning of the air/fuel ratio, ignition advance, transmission and various other parameters. Each program is track and dyno tested to ensure the most possible horsepower and drivability from each application. 50 state smog legal! More Details Installation Instructions

*See Domestic Information section for horsepower gains and dyno charts.

*Stage 2 part numbers end with "S".
    Last edited by 98 Gold Formula; 07-28-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Incase you haven't seen this, heres the link on how to fix the door panels http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...air/index.html

I'd also look really close at how bad the swirl marks are in the black paint. Black is a bitch to maintain and repair. They could have just wheeled it out before they showed it to you.

Still seems like a good deal to me, as i said before.

P.S. No TCS is sweet!
    Last edited by KMdef9; 07-28-2009 at 09:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 98 Gold Formula View Post
    Jet Performance makes a module(CHIP) that plugs in the pcm for the ls1 cars.
    You could see it if they had one by looking where the wiring harness plugs into the pcm.

Click to view a larger picture of the Power Control Module | Stage 2 | Auto Transmission
    view larger
    Power Control Module | Stage 2 | Auto Transmission
    Part #: 10014S

Add up to 25 horsepower instantly with simple, plug-in installation! Only JET Performance Modules provide exclusive, full range Dynamic Spectrum Tuning of the air/fuel ratio, ignition advance, transmission and various other parameters. Each program is track and dyno tested to ensure the most possible horsepower and drivability from each application. 50 state smog legal! More Details Installation Instructions

*See Domestic Information section for horsepower gains and dyno charts.

*Stage 2 part numbers end with "S".
    the weird thing though, is that this is a manual...

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

try to get a "cold start." LS1's are pretty solid, but if it has been through hell it will usualy show it with a puf of smoke on cold starts.

also where was the car driven. if it was a Yankee car check for corrosion on the underbody. for some reason those damn yanks love to put gobs of salt on the road during the winter to keep them from freazing up.

check the rims too, air them up to 40 or so and spray soapy water around the bead (where rim meats tire) and the valve to check for any corrosion inside the rim. i have 2 rims that are eat up inside and i loose 13 psi a day.

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

12k seems a bit high,check autotrader.com for t/as and formulas before you buy.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

car books for 10,500 but with the market and the demand for a car thats not in productiong there going for around 15k alot of times you can snag them for around 10k the white face gauges grew on me i love them in my 2000 ws6, i would deff bye it the door crack can be fixed nothing in life is perfect, offer him 10,500 have the cash in hand tell him thats all you got see what happens if it doesnt work id say its still worth the 12k youll get your money back out of it if you keep the mile low

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Worst investment you can make is a car. You will never make a profit off them. Buy it and enjoy the hell out of it. If you want a investment, buy up some 1000.00 hoses in Detroit and sit on them till the economy breaks.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by rideon1200 View Post
    Worst investment you can make is a car. You will never make a profit off them. Buy it and enjoy the hell out of it. If you want a investment, buy up some 1000.00 hoses in Detroit and sit on them till the economy breaks.
    ive had 7 vehicles and either broke even or made a few hundred up to a few grand on some best investment if you buy smart and sell smart, if you dont know how to play it, it could suck for you

u guys think $12k is too high? I was thinking of offering 11 or 11500. 2000 ws6 with 37k miles

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information