Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

my quest for a TA leads to more questions

This is a discussion on my quest for a TA leads to more questions within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; just a few things to mention on the crack... door panels can crack and split without the door panel ever ...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

just a few things to mention on the crack... door panels can crack and split without the door panel ever being touched... its worth ripping them off even if they're fine and doing the fix that was linked previously. and use mini-zipties rather then bolts... otherwise the crack could still occur...

good luck

Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

The mini zip ties don't seem like they would offer enough support to keep the window felt firmly up against the window. Rationally speaking, with the 'stress relief' taken care of, there should not be any more cause for the cracks to take place. Personally, I would not have any objection to bolting in place the window felt in it's new 'unstressed' location. Just my opinion.....

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

SS & WS6 came w/ same size rims and tires: 17" x 9" rims and 275ZR40-17 tires. The only exception to this is the '97 WS6 'verts and '96-'97 SS 'verts, they had the standard 16" (x8"??) rims and 245-width tires.

Also, on the "power programmer", it's probably a HPP-3 that raises the rev limiter and, on an A4 car, would raise the shift points. It also richens the mixture and tweeks the timing for more power. Salesmen can be dumb.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I fixed my potential door crack problem before it cracked, per the HP Pontiac artlicle. Glad I did it, no cracks, and I highly advise anyone to do it before the cracks show up! I've heard more than a few people state that one day there was nothing, the next couple of days a small crack, then a day later it was 2 inches long. If you look closely before you do anything, you'll probably see the small indent where it is stressed.

Red

After reading this thread, I was washing my car yesterday and as I was wiping down the inside, I noticed a very small indentation right where we are talking about. I guess I better get on it before it develops.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Yes, you do need to. It won't take long for the dreaded crack to appear. Do the fix now, on both panels. Yes, it's not the most fun thing to do, it will take more than a couple hours to do both door panels, but in the end it's worth the time.

Red

Hopefully it will wait until I get a drill motor, and drill bits. As soon as I get one, it's done. I love working on my car, unless I don't have the proper tools or it's raining. At this point, I don't have a garage, so it's when the weather's nice or it's not at all.....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I understand about the lack of garage. Been there, done that.

2011 Prius

Bump...

Found the owner of this car, just wanted to be sure he see's this. As he may find it rather interesting.

Blue
    2001 Formula Firehawk

I'd offer them a bit less, unless they can tell you exactly what the "chip" fully entails, with paperwork to back it up. My first trans am was "chipped" and the damned thing caught fire in the engine bay due to problems it caused. That's a good price for the car itself though. I'd do it if I had the money to throw around, for a new DD! lol

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Sas View Post
    I'd offer them a bit less, unless they can tell you exactly what the "chip" fully entails, with paperwork to back it up. My first trans am was "chipped" and the damned thing caught fire in the engine bay due to problems it caused. That's a good price for the car itself though. I'd do it if I had the money to throw around, for a new DD! lol
    I only bumped it so the owner of the vehicle can see it, he was selling it to buy an SRT-10... But he explained a bit to me, he said he will reply latter to the thread after work. Sounds like a good car, I would have bought it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

This is still for sale? I hope for less than 12k by now!!! That's just a hair more than I paid for my hawk nearly a year ago! no cracks and brand new BF Goodrich gforce sports. garage kept 100% stock and low miles besides!!!

I think this year these cars should be running about 10k-11k. although there was that never titled hawk that sold for 40k recently at auction lol. best part is??? mine is rarer then that one was

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    This is still for sale? I hope for less than 12k by now!!! That's just a hair more than I paid for my hawk nearly a year ago! no cracks and brand new BF Goodrich gforce sports. garage kept 100% stock and low miles besides!!!

I think this year these cars should be running about 10k-11k. although there was that never titled hawk that sold for 40k recently at auction lol. best part is??? mine is rarer then that one was
    A year ago that was a hell of a deal for my area, today it's still a decent deal for my area, lol... How many miles your hawk has?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

The 'chip' was most likely realted with the granatelli MAF (measures the amount of air that is drawn through the engine's intake so the car's computer can compensate for temp. & altitude change..lets the computer know just how much air is streaming in the intake duct) nothing to do with shifting. Never has "power programmer for shift points" come out of my mouth, i dont even know what that is. I told him i have the hypertech power programer III for the car and the only thing i said relating to shifting was it had the annoying "skip shift". kid probably got it all confused (after all he did start a thread w/ a picture of my engine asking if my MAF was NOS) :tapfoot:
    Click for full size
    Jessica
    '00 Trans Am WS6
    '98 Cherokee Classic - DD

Red
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I got my WS6 a week ago it is a 99 with 74000 on it i payed 8750 (so far so good) with a new set of Tires for it. There are deals out there to be found what it comes down to is does it Run strong also how bad you want one. I tell you one thing that these guys on here know their stuff reading their Posts and treads helped me in my decision. I say if everything Checks out with test driving, Carfax all the good stuff Try talking him down a bit i would say 11k is good but if you can get it for 10,500 that would be Great! Good Luck i hope thing work out for you.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    The 'chip' was most likely realted with the granatelli MAF (measures the amount of air that is drawn through the engine's intake so the car's computer can compensate for temp. & altitude change..lets the computer know just how much air is streaming in the intake duct) nothing to do with shifting. Never has "power programmer for shift points" come out of my mouth, i dont even know what that is. I told him i have the hypertech power programer III for the car and the only thing i said relating to shifting was it had the annoying "skip shift". kid probably got it all confused (after all he did start a thread w/ a picture of my engine asking if my MAF was NOS) :tapfoot:
    Thanks for clearin up the confusion. so is the guy gonna buy it? Or is he just kickin tires?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    Thanks for clearin up the confusion. so is the guy gonna buy it? Or is he just kickin tires?
    no problem & he low balled me so i declined. He waited a whilte then had called me back and agreed to pay the lowest amount i'd take however i had someone already working on stuff with the bank so he missed out on his chance. The reason i still have it is b/c the dude couldnt figure out things w/ the bank and wanted to do payments & that wouldnt work being it has a lien on it. after all was said and done the SRT10 was sold from under me so i was just like screw it & kept the bird. If the other guy hadn't tried to buy it i woulda accepted this kids offer but i wasn't about to call him a few weeks later after he low balled me.. doesn't hurt me any, and being pontiac will no longer be producing their products it makes me kinda happy the way things worked out with trying to sell it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    A year ago that was a hell of a deal for my area, today it's still a decent deal for my area, lol... How many miles your hawk has?
    I bought it last June for 11.5 and the car had 47k on it. Was a Florida car for a majority of it's life. A collector up in CT bought it and put it in a garage for 3 years putting VERY little mileage on it in that time.

Actually I ended up with the Hawk because a WS6 owner thought who the hell he was..... 60+k on a 2001 NBM WS6 that needed some minor cleaning up.... though the clutch chattered like teeth on a cold day. I offered him like 12k and he turned it down saying what a rare car the WS6 is and how the clutch is brand new and how expensive the borla exhaust is etc etc etc. So I waited a few weeks called him back and he wouldn't budge. So I, actually wanting his car, decided to enlighten him on what these things were selling for and pointed him at an ebay ad for a NBM firehawk with 10k fewer miles and proof that it was one of only 10 like it. with a buy it now price of 11.9k He just laughed me off without even checking out the ad telling me that if such a car existed i should buy it.....

So i did.

The guy with the WS6 lived in my neighborhood so i'm sure he's seen the hawk.... many many months later I saw he relisted the car on autotrader.... it's still on there... nearly a year later.... and he's still asking more than i paid for my hawk... sigh....

The car was seemed to be beat on, hence the reason why we low balled you. Not to mention the rear seal leak it had...Hope you got all those things fixed!
    All in all we found a 2004 Mustang Cobra for a bit more, but well worth it.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by stang1101 View Post
    The car was seemed to be beat on, hence the reason why we low balled you. Not to mention the rear seal leak it had...Hope you got all those things fixed!
    All in all we found a 2004 Mustang Cobra for a bit more, but well worth it.
    Bit more? Cobra's even with 100,000 miles ask for $15,000 for a Termie in the South. One with miles I feel alright buying will be $18,000-20,000.

But how bad is the "leak" that you say?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information