Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

To much horsepower?

In the last few years stock horsepower keeps going up and up. Almost all of The Big Three are going to have cars makeing over 400hp. IS there such a thing as to much horse power???

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

nope.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Never too much power.

M.R.M. & C.E. Yellow
    01 TA & 02 CETA

I didnt know there was such a thing as "TOO" much power?

1999 Camaro SS #24
    98 Corvette-99 Camaro SS

NO! Now slap yourself for asking such a question!
    -Will

'99 Camaro SS SLP#24 -- Not as Slow and Still As Pretty

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Now I dont think you are looking at this the right way . Im not asking if you think there is to much horsepower for you. I mean is it a good idea to have a normal production car with that much. Look at all the points before you answer.

White
    1998 Trans Am

i don't like the fact personally that i can put a mild cam in my car, lid, headers, cat back, and put about 400 down to the wheels, and a freakin srt-8 charger is still gonna have more!

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by NE98LS1
    i don't like the fact personally that i can put a mild cam in my car, lid, headers, cat back, and put about 400 down to the wheels, and a freakin srt-8 charger is still gonna have more!
    um no....srt-8 has 425 at the crank...so if you have 400 at the wheels then you have more hp...not to mention a lighter car

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Yeah, Im kinda agreeing with whats been said. Its going to put this car together.. run about 600hp.. just to have a car right from the factory keep up with me..

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I think you are starting to get the question . I know the only thing better than horsepower is more horsepower. I am not asking about that. I know ther is 500hp Vettes and 425 horse Hemi. But that is not a car like the new Camaro, a cars that will have alot of sales. I dont think you understand how easly this kind of hp can be abused. I am also not saying that 400hp is to much . What Im asking is where should it stop. With cars already being planed that has 500hp, 600hp is only a few tweeks away . Where do you think it should end??

White
    1998 Trans Am

i don't know if you can really put a number on it or not, right now all of these cars are coming out b/c of the damn baby boomers. they want the cars they had (or couldn't have but always wanted) back in teh day, but they don't want to have to work on the cars themselves or have to worry about reliabillity, so WAM! we are getting all of these 2006+ cars that look a LOT like the 1960s cars and have the high horsepower numbers they want too, all with a warranty that that equally priced 1968 model just can't offer. i think that the american manufacturers should call a cease to the horsepower wars like the japanese car makers did during the mid to late 90s. i can't remember what the cars were, but i know the skyline was one of them, that all came out with the same odd horsepower rating of like 327hp or something like that, but actually dynoed over that, the manufacturers had just agreed to not post any HP numbers higher. idk though-i guess if there is a demand for 800hp stock vehicles, then by all means give it to the people!

white
    1999 Trans Am

i honestly don't think that that many camaros are gonna sell soley on the fact that people are starting to want compact sports cars cause of gas prices...

black
    92 Sonoma GT

also there starting to take the fun out of working on your own car and making it faster its just going to get harder and harder to make your car beat a stock 06.

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

its getting to the point where off the showroom floor cars are almost too fast.
    you can get into trouble way to easily when you punch it, then cant slow down and such in time.
    2000 nhra edition formula
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i see what your saying. I like that the muscle cars of today are beefy, light engines making massive power. What pisses me off is these damn 6 cyl coming out that advertise like 250-300HP on a damn sedan! That just drives me nuts-and i know it's all smoke and mirrors, but hey-the key to advertising is deception beats reality. They tell the market it makes 300 HP and your kids are safe, my ws.6 looks like shit. The common folk dont' know dick about drivetrain loss etc. anyway, back on track....I'm with NE98LS1-we have to dump big $$ into our muscle to make what the new shit is coming out with in stock form. It's bittersweet; the automotive industry is packing bigger punches in smaller crates, but damnit i'm jealous.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by socialdbob
    i honestly don't think that that many camaros are gonna sell soley on the fact that people are starting to want compact sports cars cause of gas prices...
    it'll have an engine configuration like the new monte carlos with a v4/v8 computer calculation. Basically it will run on 4 cylinders until you punch it and the other 4 kick in. Saves gas; i think the new monte's are getting like 28MPG on the highway? from chevy: A 303-hp small block V8 is standard in the Monte Carlo SS and features Active Fuel Management that uses eight cylinders when you want more power, four cylinders when you need better mileage and delivering an EPA estimated, petrol-pinching 28 MPG highway.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Man I realy hate those things like that . Caddy had a car like that 4-6-8. Everyone hated it and it didnt work right . If you want a 8 buy a 8 if you want a 4 buy a 4. Dont try to do both in one engine.

majorglory
    never enough power!

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    I'm with NE98LS1-we have to dump big $$ into our muscle to make what the new shit is coming out with in stock form. It's bittersweet; the automotive industry is packing bigger punches in smaller crates, but damnit i'm jealous.
    Think of how the late 2nd gen Birds (80, 81) must've felt! Brand new they couldn't touch on the performance offered by 2nd gen's that were only a few years previous. It seems to go in cycles. As soon as sales slow for all of the really quick cars, they'll start dropping power and try to appeal to car buyers who solely care about gas milage. That's what happened in the early 70's.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Maybe , but gas milage is alot better with the trans we have now. It was the insurance and government that stoped them the last time. This time the dars pass standards and people dont seem to care about insurance prices.

Thread Information