Thread: Motor Probs

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Motor Probs

Ok, my T/A is fine. I also have a V-6 Firebird that is giving me problems. It was having a really weird engine knock, so I brought it to the dealer since it was beyond my abilities. Well, they said its something internal with the motor. They told me flat out that for them to crack it open, diagnose and repair...it would be cheaper to replace the engine. Now, ever since I got my LS-1 the V-6 has been up for sale. So, I don't really want to spend much money if I don't have to. There are several options I have been weighing and I wanted some input. Hopefully, the insurance will cover it since there is only 75k on the motor, but if not....what should I do? Please keep in mind the car is only worth about $6k in decent running condition.

1. Sell as is....and take the loss.

2. Get another 3800 and replace it, for a quick cheap fix.

3. Take the Chevy van from my friend and pull the 350 from it. Then install. But, if I do this...will the tranny bolt up and endure the power long enough to sell? Would it be easier to do the old school carb Vs. fuel injected? Computer and idiot light issues? Etc... Sounds expensive just typing it, but I should be able to get more than $6k if its done. The car looks flawless...other than the motor prob.

4. This is what I would really like to do. Take a wrecked Grand National (yes, I know where there is one). Take out the turbo 3800 and install it. Then paint the car black and put a GN emblem on it for novelty and a nice sleeper. What kind of PC problems will I have. I do know there might be some fabrication with turbo mounts or piping....but I was told the lower block is basically the same. Will the trans handle that as well? If I did this, I would probably keep the car as a daily driver.

Thanks for any input.

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

go for the turbo 6, like the turbos ta's from 1989

Fire
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon1110 View Post
    go for the turbo 6, like the turbos ta's from 1989
    Yeah. The Turbo or push it over a cliff.

white
    1993 gmc typhoon

i kinda like the cliff option too if you film it.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

turbo, do it

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Go check out 3800SeriesII.com. Is there such a website?

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

I am leaning towards the turbo route. I currently have it up for sale here locally, while I save up some cash.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

I'm sure you could sell it some grease monkey who can swap out the motor or put a new one in. put it up forsale in the condition its in just take the hit. if your doing all the motor work id say just strip it down and build it up but thats pretty pointless on a v6 or pull the motor yourself, but if the stealer is doing it just grab your ankles.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

id say get another mechanics opinion before you do anything. . . whats the oil look like?
    any kind of swap other than another 3.8 sII will probably be complicated and take a lot of time and research. and remember 3.8sII's are plentiful and cheap.

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

yea 3800's are a dime a dozen

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Yeah I found a couple 3800s here for about $300, but it includes an entire camaro that I will be required to dispose of. I have it for sale as of now. If I can save enough money before the sale, then Ill do it myself otherwise Ill take the loss.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

fuck man if you can get the entire car for 300 id pull the motor then take the POS car to the junk yard, i bet you get atleast 300 for the car alone

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

If I was stateside, that would be true. I live on a tropical island where junk cars are a big problem. They won't buy cars, you have to pay to dispose of them. In reality, they just sit on a lot and try to sell parts off of them for 80% the value of the dealer. Its cheaper for me to order new parts online than to help the junk car problem here.....go figure?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

heres what your gonna do, if you live on an island i imagine you have a boat. make a homemade trailer that floats tow it out and just dump the mother fucker...defend yourself by saying your creating a habitat. should work out fine, hah

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    Ok, my T/A is fine. I also have a V-6 Firebird that is giving me problems. It was having a really weird engine knock, so I brought it to the dealer since it was beyond my abilities. Well, they said its something internal with the motor. They told me flat out that for them to crack it open, diagnose and repair...it would be cheaper to replace the engine. Now, ever since I got my LS-1 the V-6 has been up for sale. So, I don't really want to spend much money if I don't have to. There are several options I have been weighing and I wanted some input. Hopefully, the insurance will cover it since there is only 75k on the motor, but if not....what should I do? Please keep in mind the car is only worth about $6k in decent running condition.

1. Sell as is....and take the loss.

2. Get another 3800 and replace it, for a quick cheap fix.

3. Take the Chevy van from my friend and pull the 350 from it. Then install. But, if I do this...will the tranny bolt up and endure the power long enough to sell? Would it be easier to do the old school carb Vs. fuel injected? Computer and idiot light issues? Etc... Sounds expensive just typing it, but I should be able to get more than $6k if its done. The car looks flawless...other than the motor prob.

4. This is what I would really like to do. Take a wrecked Grand National (yes, I know where there is one). Take out the turbo 3800 and install it. Then paint the car black and put a GN emblem on it for novelty and a nice sleeper. What kind of PC problems will I have. I do know there might be some fabrication with turbo mounts or piping....but I was told the lower block is basically the same. Will the trans handle that as well? If I did this, I would probably keep the car as a daily driver.

Thanks for any input.

The 3.8 Turbo Firebird would be cool as hell. Modded correctly with help from the GN community it would run with any LS1 on the street.

Oh the cars GM COULD HAVE BUILT...

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    The 3.8 Turbo Firebird would be cool as hell. Modded correctly with help from the GN community it would run with any LS1 on the street.

Oh the cars GM COULD HAVE BUILT...
    I was thinking the same thing, with the great gas mileage. I would then use it as the daily driver and turn the T/A into a garage queen for the weekend cruises.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

UPDATE - Someone offered me over $5k for the car even with the probs. He said he has an LS1 to stick in it, so he just needed the body....I smell a sleeper....hehehe

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    UPDATE - Someone offered me over $5k for the car even with the probs. He said he has an LS1 to stick in it, so he just needed the body....I smell a sleeper....hehehe
    wow . . definately just do that

Thread Information