Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

More HP or bad idea?

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums so excuse me if this is a stupid question or has already been answered in the past. Would removing the riveted baffle in the ram air hood produce more hp due to increasing the air flow, or just let in water when driving in the rain?? Seems like an easy way to increase air flow, but I dont want to suck water into the intake all winter since my '01 T/A is a daily driver.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

it won't do anything. well, okay, you'll gain .02hp

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

lol. I guess that explains why I havent read about any of you doing it. Thanks for keeping me from screwing up my hood for nothing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The best mod for airflow is an aftermarket lid. No matter what the brand, they all end up being about the same result. Other mods, such as removing the baffles or opening up the bottom of the airbox have been done, but whether there are any real world gains is debateable. One thing you should not mess with is your MAF -- don't descreen it, don't de-blade it and don't port it. It is a calibrated air measuring device that turns quickly into a piece of junk when played with.

Pewter
    02 WS6

opening the bottom of air box is a bad idea if you live in Florida. I did it to my 02 base T/A cuz I had no ram air. Well one day I got caught in a down pour & easily sucked water right into my motor!! I did once read an article about taking out those baffles in our ram air hoods. They said you could accually feel the difference in the car "pulling harder" they also supplied a fitted thick sponge type thing that you could easily put in and remove any time it rained. Not sure which mag it was but I think it would help you achieve the real idea behind "RAM AIR"

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

i have done the baffle removal,and have the bottom of my air box open with the kit that slp sells that gets the forced up air from the air dam,i live in ga. and have driven my car in rainstorms and all,its my daily driver and its been like that for 5 yrs now,i noticed about a tenth quicker in the 1/4 with both mods,its never sucked up any water or anything, hpoe this helps and good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    i have done the baffle removal,and have the bottom of my air box open with the kit that slp sells that gets the forced up air from the air dam,i live in ga. and have driven my car in rainstorms and all,its my daily driver and its been like that for 5 yrs now,i noticed about a tenth quicker in the 1/4 with both mods,its never sucked up any water or anything, hpoe this helps and good luck.
    That's been my experiences as well. Years back when these cars were new,,,removing the baffles used to be the thing to do. On the SS it was cutting the bottom of the hood and making the opening larger. Whether that makes a difference I don't know,,,magazines in the day reported that it did. I'm not cutting on my SS hoods,,,but I did find similar gains doing the free ram air mod.
    I've had the free ram air mod done on both of our SS's for years and driving in down poors has never been a problem.

From what I've read most of the people that claim to have had this problem admitted to actually trying to drive through large amounts of puddled water at a high rate of speed. That would definately force water up there. Quite frankly,,,if there is standing water in the road,,,you shouldn't be driving through it anyway. A little common sense and you'll be fine.

Another example would be my 70 formula,,,that hood is a direct shot to the air cleaner and forces air at such a high rate, it actually pushes my crank case breather out of it's holder and to the back of the air cleaner at anything above 80 mph. I've had this car for 20+ years and driven accross country in plenty of down poors at highway speeds. Never had an issue. I'm sure the original owner who drove it everyday back then did the same. Original motor is still kickin'

If it were me and I had a WS6,,,I might remove the baffles on that car but I wouldn't bother with the free ram air mod on one,,,the hoods work pretty good I'd assume, considering my Formy is the same basic up front design and it's extremely affective.
    I did the free ram air on our SS's, because those hoods aren't as effective.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That's been my experiences as well. Years back when these cars were new,,,removing the baffles used to be the thing to do. On the SS it was cutting the bottom of the hood and making the opening larger. Whether that makes a difference I don't know,,,magazines in the day reported that it did. I'm not cutting on my SS hoods,,,but I did find similar gains doing the free ram air mod.
    I've had the free ram air mod done on both of our SS's for years and driving in down poors has never been a problem.

From what I've read most of the people that claim to have had this problem admitted to actually trying to drive through large amounts of puddled water at a high rate of speed. That would definately force water up there. Quite frankly,,,if there is standing water in the road,,,you shouldn't be driving through it anyway. A little common sense and you'll be fine.

Another example would be my 70 formula,,,that hood is a direct shot to the air cleaner and forces air at such a high rate, it actually pushes my crank case breather out of it's holder and to the back of the air cleaner at anything above 80 mph. I've had this car for 20+ years and driven accross country in plenty of down poors at highway speeds. Never had an issue. I'm sure the original owner who drove it everyday back then did the same. Original motor is still kickin'

If it were me and I had a WS6,,,I might remove the baffles on that car but I wouldn't bother with the free ram air mod on one,,,the hoods work pretty good I'd assume, considering my Formy is the same basic up front design and it's extremely affective.
    I did the free ram air on our SS's, because those hoods aren't as effective.
    Agreed..

I did it on mine in late summer along with a smooth bellows and have'nt had any water trouble.. Tho I did'nt usually drive it in the rain because my auto-x tires did'nt like rain.. But I had been caught in rain with no trouble on an opened up air box..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Has anyone tried the JAAM Ram Air package sold at WS6store.com, or is it a waste of money? I already have the SLP air lid and smooth air bellows, but was just trying to see if there are any other ways to feed the motor more air. Pajeff02 thanks for the warning about the maf. I was planning on trying to port the maf ends in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will just pick up a set of Fasttoys ported maf ends instead. Thanks for the advise.

1998 Trans Am

a few people here have, but again, there are better ways to spend money on mods.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Fatfu View Post
    was just trying to see if there are any other ways to feed the motor more air.
    Yes there is. It is called Forced Induction

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Yes there is. It is called Forced Induction
    lol. I was looking for a little more budget friendly ideas!! An STS turbo is my dream!! Unfortunately I dont pull that kind of $$$.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

lol. I was looking for a little more budget friendly ideas!! An STS turbo is my dream!! Unfortunately I dont pull that kind of $$$.
    Please research your DREAM more thoroughly...

You'll soon realize your dream was a bad idea.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I would leave the stock MAF, ends and all, exactly as they are. Until you get up around the 500 h.p. level they are not a problem.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

i de-screened and never had a problem, ran it like that for 2 years before the car got wrecked not a problem

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    i de-screened and never had a problem, ran it like that for 2 years before the car got wrecked not a problem
    mines descreened too, but I've been looking everywhere for a replacement, I hate when things like that get messed with.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 1998 T/A View Post
    Did you data log your car to know for sure?

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Did you data log your car to know for sure?
    no i never got a check engine light that was relayed back to the MAF or had any running issues

Has anyone tried the JAAM Ram Air package sold at WS6store.com, or is it a waste of money? I already have the SLP air lid and smooth air bellows, but was just trying to see if there are any other ways to feed the motor more air. Pajeff02 thanks for the warning about the maf. I was planning on trying to port the maf ends in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will just pick up a set of Fasttoys ported maf ends instead. Thanks for the advise.
    I've never tried that particular one. I run the SLP duct work under the lid on one of my SS's,,,and the other SS just has the free ram air mod done without any duct work associated with it.

I get the same affect with both at the track when I tape them off. So in all reality I don't think the duct work is doing anything in my case.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

I have the factory WS6 hood with baffles removed and JAAM Ram Air kit. I've had 3 times where I was worried about water. All three situations were heavy rain at interstate speeds. The first 2 of those times I checked and the water didn't get past the filter. The third time was the worst (filter was soaked)but i didn't check. No harm so far.

Thread Information