Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

This is more of a Help me pic which upgrade!

This is a discussion on This is more of a Help me pic which upgrade! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i need a lil more info then that...i need to know what brands and why please...

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

i need a lil more info then that...i need to know what brands and why please

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well how much $ are you looking to spend? Depending on what your budget is depends on what parts you can go with. If you want to stay under $2000, you can forget the rear end. H/C/I is a little out of that budget unless you go with LS6 heads and intake, with a good cam. Thats close to $2000.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Brenden it sounds like you are very new to F-bodies and modding a car. No problem with that but it will let others know how to recommend and what level of details to pass on.

First thing you need to do is try to figure out what kind of build you want. There are several options and combos. You have street/track/show/DD or any combo.

Most guys go for a street/show combo. Gives you most of the track performance and show looks.

Second thing to do is research and do like you're doing - ask questions.

3rd plan it out. Most ppl here will tell you to do suspension first - make it a solid car that can handle the power, next the rear. 10 bolts are ok under stock pwr but after a few bolt-ons you'll need to start saving for a new rear. Throwing 4.10 gears in a 10 bolt is a waste of $$ IMHO. You could put that towards a new rear. Moser, Strange, and MWC are popular companies. Next - motor. Reason for that order is again having a solid foundation. Otherwise you're fixing stuff as it breaks and having a lot of down time between repairs.

You ask what brand for parts. This is were it comes down to function, performance and personal taste. I can say this brand is best and another 3 guys will counter it. So I'll show you my signature. Everything in it I've done.

For me - I really like UMI Performance for my suspension. Why you ask - The guys there take the time with you to learn what you're doing, help and will point out if something isn't going to work. Price is great and the quality is exceptional. I plan on doing a full suspension mod with them.

CAM/Heads/Intake- this is going to be one of those things that you need to research and ask around. Reason why is there are to many variables. For now I have a LS6 intake. I'm still on stock internals and once I get everything else done on my build I'll look at getting the FAST 102. Until then I have a build sheet that is 5 pgs long to knock off.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

thanks to both you guys. I am very new at this. Before I bought the car the guy before me put 2in lowering kit and performance suspension parts. then he had a diablo programmer. my rear end has me worried with all the talk going around. so i thnk i will go with a intake, cam, heads, possibly headers and of course a new rearend. do you suggest complete new axle? or just the guts?...any advice??

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Glad we can help. To answer that, I'd go with a complete new rear end. Dont just try to beef up the 10 bolt, it will fail all the same. You have a 6 speed correct? Go with a 9", Moser is good, as well as Strange. Something like a Moser 12 bolt is good for autos, but from the added "shock" of a manual car launching hard needs something a little bit stronger. Which is why I recommend the 9". Some people have 6 speed cars with Moser 12 bolts and it holds up fine. But think of it like this. Some people boost stock bottom end LS1's and get away with it for a while, others dont have such good luck and blow it up. So why run the risk with the 12 bolt? Go ahead and make sure your not going to break it and buy a 9", it will save you some heart aches down the road. If your going to stay N/A, 4.11's do great, if boosted at some point then think about 3.73's or 3.42's.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I would start with LTH, Fast 102 & TB, Frost tune, SFC. That's 2,000 dollars. Got any more cash ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

Y2K camaro! i think i want to go with 4.11 gears but i dont know what brand of rearend to go with i have read all over forums and everybody has their own opinion! so wtf?

2002ssslp- i have a little bit more money. im willing to fork out a lot of money for BOLT ONS. to make my car the fastest in my area. if its about 6 grand??? fine. thats my max. im just tired of people thinking they are hot shit. lol

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by brenden1661 View Post
    Y2K camaro! i think i want to go with 4.11 gears but i dont know what brand of rearend to go with i have read all over forums and everybody has their own opinion! so wtf?

2002ssslp- i have a little bit more money. im willing to fork out a lot of money for BOLT ONS. to make my car the fastest in my area. if its about 6 grand??? fine. thats my max. im just tired of people thinking they are hot shit. lol
    I understand that but F-bodies have so much more to offer over stock it is just a matter of what you have to spend. The best bang for the buck is LTH to bolt up to your current exhaust. Then go with the intake and TB. You will also need to have Steve at Frost to retune the PCM to these mods. Do not spend money on the 10 bolt rear because when you raise HP these rears turn into coco puffs. You will also need to do some suspension work to help the new found HP make it to the ground. If you are going for 6 grand then get some Bilstein shocks, Eibach springs, adj panhard bar and a 9" rear with 4.11 gears from Moser or Strange. This is in addition to the LHT and 102 w/TB from before. This should get you to around 400 flywheel HP but more important you will be able to get the car down the track without spilling gear oil all over the place. The rear will suck up half of your budget. I think you should see mid 12's with a good hook up. Do you have a 6M or 4A car ?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Do you have traction control and ABS and do you want to keep it? If it were me, I'd go with Moser 9". Strange is great too, but its just a choice I'd make. Everyone does have their own opinion though. Moser makes some good rear ends though, and you can still get the 4.11's you'd want.

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

so you guys are saying..do my tb,intake,LTH, 4.11 gears, tune it, and some suspension upgrades?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

so you guys are saying..do my tb,intake,LTH, 4.11 gears, tune it, and some suspension upgrades?
    I'd say yes, but add a cam in there (replace valve springs and pushrods along with), and dont just put gears in your 10 bolt, get you a 9" with the gears you want. That stuff with the mods you mentioned and you'd be in the low 400 hp to the wheels. Plus with the suspension and the 9" rear, you could do some good launching and get out of the hole fast.

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

ok so...tb,intake,LTH, 4.11 gears, tune it, cam and some suspension upgrades

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yea that sounds good.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Now with the suspension upgrades you'll have choices. Non-adjustable and adjustable, Chrome Moly and Mild Steel.

Non adjustable - are if you don't lower your car or put on oversize wheels.
    Adjustable - If you lower or put on oversize wheels you will need to get these. It let's you dial it in.

Chrome Moly vs Mild Steel - CM is much stronger and lighter then mild steel. If weight reduction is a must then CM is what you want.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-17-2012, 01:18 AM
  2. 05-12-2012, 05:09 AM

Thread Information