Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

Exclamation This is more of a Help me pic which upgrade!

I have a 1999 trans am ws6 with 35k 6speed. It has a K&N air intake, Diablo Programmer, and straight pipes with catbacks. I want my car to be able to beat a 2010 camaro SS. I want to stay around the 2000 dollar amount and would like to get a little over 400hp. What bolts on should i do? PLease help!

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

You mean you cant beat the 2010 ss now??? They really arent that quick for having a huge engine. They are heavy pigs. Have you raced any new camaros yet???

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Sorry you're going to need a few more $$$ if your serious in wanting to beat the new ones.

Even as heavy as they are they still have more then enough to win. I'm not saying you can't do it but this is what you'll need to look at doing.

If you are running a stock rear - that needs to be upgraded, M6 = 9", A4 = 12 bolt = $3700 average

A top end C/H/I will cost you: FAST 102, plus the TB and fuel injectors will take you around just shy of 3k, Heads - $1800-$2500 depending on type and what extras you want (that includes lifters, springs, push rods), CAM - MS4 goes for $370, then the full tuning = $500 - $800

Tranny - internals you can get by for a while but if you got the above stuff you're going to need a better clutch like Monster, SPEC or a LS7

Notice I haven't even got to suspension yet. At the minimum - SFC's, a good Torque arm and LCA's

Also a set of Drag radials

And that is to bring up a LS1 near the high 400's low 500's. This will make you competitive with the stock 5th Gen's but if they start throwing bolt on's you have to think about another approach.

Now you can save up and drop a supercharger on the LS1 and forge the internals or L3, LSx or LQ4/9 (these will need the above stuff) and then you'll have a serious monster that not only will handle the 5th gens but will also handle the new 5.0's as well
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

I haven't raced one yet, but i road in one and wasnt too impressed. i was thinking with a throttlebody/manifold intake upgrade and longtube header that it would push me over enough to win.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Your throttle body and intake are fine until you start doing things like heads and cam. Then you might want to consider upgrading both of those items.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

so your saying..dont upgrade any of those unless im ready to cough up about 5000 in order to do it right?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

LS6 manifold will be an easy bolt on. Long tube headers aren't too hard to do. Off road, or catted y-pipe. Either way with the y, you will want to delete the rear O2's in your tune. If your only goal is to beat the new camaro, do these, then see how you do. If you still have problems, you could have your heads prted, then put in a medium cam. That will do the trick. I raced one a while back on stock manifolds, and I screwed fourth gear, so it is unusable. So, I raced from 70-120 ish a few times, and he couldn't pull on me. It was dead even. That was the 6 speed with 426 hp, and I was in fifth the whole time. He was prob pretty mad he couldn't pull away from me, he would have been even madder if he knew I was in over drive the whole time. Again, this was on my stock manifolds, with a catback, and no tune. My gas mileage dropped 4 mpg on the highway after I put on the catback, so that tells me I needed a tune then. If I had gotten a tune with the catback, I would have pulled on him. In fifth.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by slimss View Post
    You mean you cant beat the 2010 ss now??? They really arent that quick for having a huge engine. They are heavy pigs. Have you raced any new camaros yet???
    That's kinda what I was thinking.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by brenden1661 View Post
    I haven't raced one yet, but i road in one and wasnt too impressed. i was thinking with a throttlebody/manifold intake upgrade and longtube header that it would push me over enough to win.
    I raced a 2010 ss auto from a 30 mph roll and beat him to 100 by half a car length.my car is an 02 ss auto, granted he had his girlfriend with him. He was really pissed off. I spoke to him further up the road and he swears theres no way my ss is completely stock. I think he was just embarrassed in front of his girl.

Navy Blue Metallic

If you look at my signature in post 3 that is what I went up against a 2010 Camaro SS 4 times and every time he beat my ass like I was a parked. I inconstantly ran 7.9 in a 1/8th all night.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    If you look at my signature in post 3 that is what I went up against a 2010 Camaro SS 4 times and every time he beat my ass like I was a parked. I inconstantly ran 7.9 in a 1/8th all night.
    Yea but was the 2010 ss completely stock??? If it was you should have beat him or at the least kept up with him

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

okay just called my bud! we are racing at 4:30 today! i will let you all know how it goes! if i win im gonna do headers, sptb, intake manifold. If i lose i will need help basically redoing my entire motor. Sick of his trash talking. lol

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Good luck. Y'all racing from a roll or a dig?

Black
    1999 trans am ws6

both. roll 20 and 15. and a dig!

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

So, any word on the race yet? Its after 5pm my time so yall could have not raced yet considering the time zone differences lol.

Navy Blue Metallic

I think he leaves in the Central Time zone.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

In for the results.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yea I just noticed it says he's in Kansas.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Ought to be interesting, to say the least. Hopefully it doesn't end with a blue light special on the side of the road somewhere.

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yea really. Those specials are never fun. I've ran a new SS only once and he got the jump on me but I stopped his pull pretty quick then he shut down and wouldnt run me again in a legit race. But I'm a 6 speed car with a cam, long tubes and a tune unlike the OP.

Thread Information