Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Are mods needed for superchargers or turbos?

When I consider the cost of the multiple things that many people use for performance gains all those little things add up. I have always wanted a car with a supercharger and know there are kits like the Procharger or STS turbo for my car out there.

What I dont know is if the boost PSI is adjustable and if a stock LS1 needs to have internal parts beefed up to allow the use of one of those options if I were to decide to spend the money on one.

There are some advantages of having a blower and keeping many other parts stock such as the rear end gears and converter etc. for my use but having the extra power and consistently more efficient intake pressures even for MPG at idle when not being driven hard.

I have written to the manufacturers and requested product literature but if anyone has had experience with these items I would love to hear about it.

Depending on how much I can keep everything else stock not included in the blower kit I can weigh the cost against the benefits and my personal needs and use for the car.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Most people on here are going to steer you away from an STS. Also, if it was a choice between Procharger or STS, Procharger is the runaway winner there.

Stock LS1s can handle 7 maybe 8 pounds of boost fine. Anything above that on stock internals and you are asking for trouble. If I was going to do FI, I would personally upgrade the fuel system, pump and injectors.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139601

Here is a good and recent thread with some STS info. Frost is a well respected LS1 tuner. I would pay attention to his comments in that thread.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

That was what I was thinking

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Most people on here are going to steer you away from an STS. Also, if it was a choice between Procharger or STS, Procharger is the runaway winner there.

Stock LS1s can handle 7 maybe 8 pounds of boost fine. Anything above that on stock internals and you are asking for trouble. If I was going to do FI, I would personally upgrade the fuel system, pump and injectors.
    The Procharger kit I was looking at online had injectors and reprogramming for it, if it does not come with one then a high quality fuel pump would be a reasonable addition. I am waiting for the literature to come in the mail. I would be more than happy with under 7 pounds of boost, another thing I will find out about, the range one can adjust the boost on those units.

It would work out great for me to keep the higher stock gears and converter and just have the extra power give me all the power I need. I want to make sure that the stock drive train can handle the amount of extra power being put out and I have heard the stock one is pretty strong. I would have the power while hopefully not putting more stress on the transmission and rear end than it can handle, it would work with my F1's and I think would cause less traction issues by not having to deal with lower gear ratios or launch the car hard or rev the motor up much higher to get the better ET's (though I am not planning on drag racing I use the 1/4 mile ET as an example of the benefits I want. It would be a nice street machine with a procharger on it, I have not heard one in action but blowers usually sound pretty cool also.

I am just thinking hard on what I wish to do before starting to buy lots of small gain bolt ons when that combined money may be better used towards the blower kit. When I find out pricing it will help me decide, it may be worth the wait to save up for the one big improvement.

I dont know where the best place is to buy one of these but if I decide to go that route I will find out.

White
    1998 Trans Am

My friend got a used Vortech with the aftercooler running around 6 to 7PSI and he had no issues till he started swapping pulleys and with the cam and some other mods eventually it's breal but you can run a supercharger with no issues if you want a good gain and have the cash. Also their are other Turbo kits beside STS. I know one guy around was on a cruise with use had one and it was fast but kinda in a weird placed. There is a company that sells under hood mounted modeled but their more expensive tha the Procharger and never seen one installed but have heard good things from a friend in FL.
    I wanted a procharger but a little outta my price range. I have decided a forging my motor with a cam, heads, and 200 shot would be around the same price and maybe slower under NA but keep the 200 shot for track days. I already have someone to beef up the A4 and using a Circle D multi disc convertor. Just have to decide on the rear and going to stick with 3.73's like I have now. Only reason I'm not going with a blower is price and with 85k and I beat on my car the motor would die anyway. I treat it like a toy and drive it like I stole it. Once I finish the interior on my 93 5.0 Vert and sell it I'll have the rest of the cash to finish the TA, can't wait. Should be completed by spring time next year.
    Last edited by RyanJM; 07-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Waiting on a catalog

I ordered a catalog from Procharger for my application. I am going to see what they have to say. I would certainly run a conservative pressure with a stock motor. It is expensive but doing many small mods can get expensive also. Saving up for the blower kit is one thing, having a major repair because of it is what I am worried about. Having 30K miles on the car makes it an even scarier proposition. If I had lots of extra cash it would be different. I am not in a hurry so I can spend some of that time researching this.

Thread Information