Thread: model questions

Black

model questions

Hello all. This is my first post but I've been reading the boards for quite awhile.
    Question:

What (if any) are the differences between a trans am and a trans am formula?
    The difference between a trans am and a WS6 are obvious but is the formula a step up from the base model trans am or is it the base model TA?

I've been looking for a car for a friend and I've seen cars listed as formulas that said firebird on the back even? I'm so confused.

Ay help will be appreciated.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by trkkshotbry View Post
    Hello all. This is my first post but I've been reading the boards for quite awhile.
    Question:

What (if any) are the differences between a trans am and a trans am formula?
    The difference between a trans am and a WS6 are obvious but is the formula a step up from the base model trans am or is it the base model TA?

I've been looking for a car for a friend and I've seen cars listed as formulas that said firebird on the back even? I'm so confused.

Ay help will be appreciated.
    There are two different types of Front Bumpers, Rear Bumpers, Rear Wings, and Hoods for the 4th Gen F-Bodies.

1. Wide mounted fog lights:

2. Center mounted fog lights and standard hood:

3. Low wing and standard rear bumper:

4. High wing and formed bumper (notice how it has cutouts for the exhaust):

Firebirds = V6 , standard hood, wide mounted fog lights, standard rear bumper, and low wing.
    Formula = Firebird, but with a V8.
    Formula WS.6 = Formula w/ a WS.6 hood
    Trans Am = V8, standard hood, centered fog lights, high wing, and formed bumper
    Trans Am WS.6 = Trans Am with a WS.6 hood.

These are the standards...you also have Trans Am Firehawks and Formula Firehawks that have a different hood and sometimes a different wing.

If you're looking for a distinguishing difference between a Forumla and a Firebird, check under the hood and see what motor is there....V6s have an aluminum intake and V8s have a composite (plastic) intake.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Black

I think I got you

Ok so my title says formula trans am.
    Car has centered fog lights, standard hood, high wing, and lower rear valance which makes it 1 step down from a WS6.

Ie. A formula TA as opposed to a formula firebird

Or just commonly referred to as a trans am without saying the formula because its not a WS6. If it was we would say it was a WS6 TA?

Right?

Never ask a guy if he has a WS6.
    If he has he will tell you and if he doesn't then don't embarrass him.
    Last edited by trkkshotbry; 01-14-2011 at 05:54 AM.

black
    1999 Transam Ram Air WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    There are two different types of Front Bumpers, Rear Bumpers, Rear Wings, and Hoods for the 4th Gen F-Bodies.

1. Wide mounted fog lights:
    Click for full size

2. Center mounted fog lights and standard hood:
    Click for full size

3. Low wing and standard rear bumper:
    Click for full size

4. High wing and formed bumper (notice how it has cutouts for the exhaust):
    Click for full size

Firebirds = V6 , standard hood, wide mounted fog lights, standard rear bumper, and low wing.
    Formula = Firebird, but with a V8.
    Formula WS.6 = Formula w/ a WS.6 hood
    Trans Am = V8, standard hood, centered fog lights, high wing, and formed bumper
    Trans Am WS.6 = Trans Am with a WS.6 hood.

These are the standards...you also have Trans Am Firehawks and Formula Firehawks that have a different hood and sometimes a different wing.

If you're looking for a distinguishing difference between a Forumla and a Firebird, check under the hood and see what motor is there....V6s have an aluminum intake and V8s have a composite (plastic) intake.
    Also the firebird and formula came standard with cloth seats, where as the transam came standard with leather. The transam is the flagship of the firebirds, any firebirds or formula's that have leather were ordered as an option when purchased from the dealer.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Ok so my title says formula trans am.
    Car has centered fog lights, standard hood, high wing, and lower rear valance which makes it 1 step down from a WS6.

Or just commonly referred to as a trans am without saying the formula because its not a WS6. If it was we would say it was a WS6 TA?

Right?

Never ask a guy if he has a WS6.
    If he has he will tell you and if he doesn't then don't embarrass him.
    You got it pretty much right. Most people refer to the 3 different levels as "Firebird" (the base V6), "Formula" (the base V8), and "Trans Am" (the optioned-out V8). Combining the names (Firebird Formula for example) just tends to confuse people.

RPO-wise, all V8 Firebirds have WS9, which is the "Formula Conversion" (which is why the title to a T/A may say "Formula"). Plain old "Formulas" will also have W66, whereas T/As will instead have Y82 (or Y84 if it's a 'vert), which is the "Trans Am" marketing package that includes the different front and rear bumpers, "ground effects" rocker mouldings and up-lift wing. '98+, T/As also came standard w/ T-tops and leather seats, power windows and locks. WS6 is merely a "Performance Package" that included the Ram-Air hood and bigger wheels/tires (among other things) and was available on Formulas '96-'00, and T/As '96-'02. 1LE was another performance package that was available ONLY on Formulas up to '00 and required WS6, 6-speed and hardtop (pretty much a stripped-down race machine). These are very rare.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 01-14-2011 at 06:40 AM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Right?
    well, being a WS6 has nothing to do with it being a Formula or a Trans Am. as both can have the WS6 package.

basically repeating what has been said, every V8 car is/started out as a 'Formula' but most were merchandised with the Trans Am package, (with the wing, flambouyant bumpers, leather, etc)

this explains why your title says 'Formula'.

but, if you came to me and said you have a 'Formula', I would think you had a small wing, wide fog lights and cloth.

just tell people you have a 'Trans Am' and there will be no confusion.
    Last edited by justinmc978; 01-14-2011 at 01:44 PM.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Right?
    I'll also take a stab at this.
    You should not call your car a Formula TA. That isn't the correct way. Its a Trans Am or a Firebird Trans Am.
    I call my car a Firebird Formula WS6 to most of my friends because no one knows what a "Formula WS6" is.
    But everyone knows what a Trans Am is, so if I were you I'd just call it a Trans Am

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Much of the model confusion comes from the VIN.
    On V8 Firebird the VIN does not distinguish between Formula and Trans Am.
    DMV's use the Vin so your Registration or Title may say Formula/Trans Am.
    It's either one or the other so checking the exterior or looking at the RPO codes (as stated by JohnnyB) will determine the Model.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

^ agreed, my title said Formula Trans AM not Firebird Trans AM...my dad gave me shit said it wasn't a real trans am

Thread Information