Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To mod or not to mod??

This is a discussion on To mod or not to mod?? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Also, it would kill me to look at a car on jack stands for that amount of time and not ...

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Also, it would kill me to look at a car on jack stands for that amount of time and not drive it!
    I didn't say don't drive it, I am saying take care of it. I am in the process of looking for a second WS6 that has either had a ton of mods, or is high mileage and cheap. I would rather build the engine myself, but you can get some great deals on that have been modded.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Look at all the cars up for sale. People can't get rid of them, ...
    Guess you don't watch Ebay much. I have bought and sold 7 cars on Ebay in the last 2 years. If you watch auctions on Trans Ams only about 1 in 8 sell because frequently people are looking for high prices. This is easy to verify by looking at expired auctions. One Carl Black Blackbird (#47) has been for sale for months, and the reserve is not met at $40k. There are quite a few 99' Anniversary cars that have sold near $40k, and low mileage SE's sell for $25k to $28k virtually every day. Low mileage WS6's frequently sell for up to $25k. Not bad for cars that are only a few years old. Return on Corvettes is nowhere near as good!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    What do I get out of storing, owning, and driving a classic muscle car? Enjoyment, prestige, and money just to name a few.

I guess you don't watch the Barret-Jackson Auction? There are a ton of cars that have outpaced the stock market for the last 15 years, and most of them are American made. I should know, I am a former Level 1 CFA. American Muscle Cars have been leading the collector car market for quite some time.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/how-mu...ars-work11.htm
    just because the old cars are selling like hot cakes, doesnt mean 4th gens will.

if a person would of bought 1k worth of microsoft in the mid 80s, he would be a millionair many of times over. show me a car that even comes close to that
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

black

Guess you don't watch Ebay much. I have bought and sold 7 cars on Ebay in the last 2 years. If you watch auctions on Trans Ams only about 1 in 8 sell because frequently people are looking for high prices. This is easy to verify by looking at expired auctions. One Carl Black Blackbird (#47) has been for sale for months, and the reserve is not met at $40k. There are quite a few 99' Anniversary cars that have sold near $40k, and low mileage SE's sell for $25k to $28k virtually every day. Low mileage WS6's frequently sell for up to $25k. Not bad for cars that are only a few years old. Return on Corvettes is nowhere near as good!
    just because some people are stupid and pay a high price doesnt mean the car is worth it. ebay is the worst place to buy a car because all of them are over priced.
    average prices for used f-bodies are not all that high.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Tru..._fxdZ1QQ_sopZ1

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

fuck it someone else will always have a more rare, nicer, lower miles one sititn there garage and you can look at that guy after youve had tons of fun and think wow he never got to enjoy his car and i did.... who really made out in the long run??

Red
    2002 TA WS6

just because the old cars are selling like hot cakes, doesnt mean 4th gens will.
    There are no guarantees in life, but historical odds are very good for the 4th gens. I will take my chances.

if a person would of bought 1k worth of microsoft in the mid 80s, he would be a millionair many of times over. show me a car that even comes close to that
    That is absolutely NOT true... I became a Level 1 CFA in the spring of 87' in order to work as a broker. MSFT went public @ 21.00 a share in the spring of 86'.
    1 share of MSFT if held from IPO would be worth roughly $7,974. A 1000 dollar investment at IPO would be worth about $300,000 today. A great return to be sure, but this is extremely uncommon even for the best stock pickers. The average investor is lucky to see 8 to 12% return on his money, where muscle cars are averaging about 15%. If you are fortunate enough to invest in a car before it becomes a high demand collectable you could easily do many times that. I did manage to cash in on the oil, gold, and silver commodity boom the past couple years. My favorite is 100oz Englehard bars. I expect silver to at least double in the near future.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1005120801482

black

There are no guarantees in life, but historical odds are very good for the 4th gens. I will take my chances.

That is absolutely NOT true... I became a Level 1 CFA in the spring of 87' in order to work as a broker. MSFT went public @ 21.00 a share in the spring of 86'.
    1 share of MSFT if held from IPO would be worth roughly $7,974. A 1000 dollar investment at IPO would be worth about $300,000 today. A great return to be sure, but this is extremely uncommon even for the best stock pickers. The average investor is lucky to see 8 to 12% return on his money, where muscle cars are averaging about 15%

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...=1005120801482

like its common for old cars to be worth alot of money.
    when the baby boomer bubble will burst, its only a matter of time.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

just because some people are stupid and pay a high price doesnt mean the car is worth it. ebay is the worst place to buy a car because all of them are over priced.
    average prices for used f-bodies are not all that high.
    I have bought and sold 7 cars on Ebay in the last couple years. I made $4k on a Cadillac STS I bought there last year. I conservatively figure I bought my WS6 for $6k under market value.

black

heres a prime example of a company i made alot of money with in the late 90s.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=JAVA...=on&z=m&q=l&c=

lets say you would of bought 100 stocks @ $4.oo each in the early 90s.
    in today case, it would be worth 320000

Red
    2002 TA WS6

like its common for old cars to be worth alot of money.
    when the baby boomer bubble will burst, its only a matter of time.
    You better hope it goes well for us, because your future depends on it. We currently control decisions at most companies, the stock market, and hold the majority of financial clout in the USA. And actually it is pretty common for old cars to be worth a lot of money. My dad's cousin owns 3 supercharged Cords that are worth roughly a mil apiece.

black

I have bought and sold 7 cars on Ebay in the last couple years. I made $4k on a Cadillac STS I bought there last year. I conservatively figure I bought my WS6 for $6k under market value.

there are deals to be had on ebay, dont get me wrong.
    but theres also alot of over priced items.
    example look at all the ceta trans ams and such. they never get sold because nobody is will to pay those prices.

black

You better hope it goes well for us, because your future depends on it. We currently control decisions at most companies, the stock market, and hold the majority of financial clout in the USA. And actually it is pretty common for old cars to be worth a lot of money. My dad's cousin owns 3 supercharged Cords that are worth roughly a mil apiece.
    i hope it goes great to be truthful. but in reality, the bubble will burst one day, it does in all sectors, housing is a prime example right now.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

lets say you would of bought 100 stocks @ $4.oo each in the early 90s.
    in today case, it would be worth 320000
    Nice move! Sun is one of our vendors, and services all of our small server systems ( I currently manage a data center, and have my own small business computer and network company). Currently I would advise ditching Sun, and quite a few other stocks and mutual funds. I am 90% in cash as of a few months ago. Although call options on oil may still have some legs. Current favorites are EMC for a tech play, short options (puts) on home builders and financial institutions. Surprised Warren Buffet is supporting Countrywide...

Red
    2002 TA WS6

i hope it goes great to be truthful. but in reality, the bubble will burst one day, it does in all sectors, housing is a prime example right now.
    The way I see it everything goes in cycles. The best time to buy a big truck is when gas prices were super high. I think the economy could be in for a rough ride if the housing and financial sectors bottom out, and I think they have a long way down to go. Still the USA is the greatest, and I think the long term future is very bright. Somebody will figure out how to make clean burning synthetic gas for cheap, big V8s will be popular again, and we will tell the Middle East to kiss our butts....lol I'd rather be dead than drive a Prius or hybrid.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

thank you guys for that reply... some people dont understand what investments really are.. lol
    Last edited by 6sw00; 08-29-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

thank you guys for that reply... some people dont understand what investments really are.. lol
    Technically an investment is anything you buy or spend your time on. As you get older you learn that most investments are not good ones, but the ones that no one can take from you are usually good for the long term. We just built a $500k home, and with the current market it's probably a poor investment compared to an out of production muscle car. I hate to say it, but the worst investment for younger guys is playing with cars and women when they should be getting a degree first.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

haha... im in construction makin good money.. im making my 401k biggggggg... i put max away that i can... nd im not blowing my money on cars.. i got one car that i wanted. and a work car. now my next move would be buying a house in 2 yrs. and at the age of 21. i think thats a pritty dam good investment.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

haha... im in construction makin good money.. im making my 401k biggggggg... i put max away that i can... nd im not blowing my money on cars.. i got one car that i wanted. and a work car. now my next move would be buying a house in 2 yrs. and at the age of 21. i think thats a pritty dam good investment.
    You can't go wrong building a house. We made nearly $200k on our last one over a 15 year period. Although home values will probably depreciate over the next 5 or more years in most parts of the country. Construction (especially new homes) is likely to grind to a halt. A couple local builders have already dropped the entry level price by $40k to $60k, and this was pure profit a short time ago. One thing for sure, it's a buyers market now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information