Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

blue
    1999 trans am

mobil 1 help!?!?!?!?

i bought my car a couple months ago and its drippin a little bit of oil from the filter and the oil level is now low....im just going to change it should i put mobil 1 back in it and what weight???

also what filter should i get? it will be from just the local auto parts

blue
    1999 trans am

also how much oil

2000 Trans Am

about 6 quarts will do it. I use mobil 1 filter but put pennzoil platinum oil in it but its mostly by preference. As far as weight just use whatever the owners manual recommends.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

Quote Originally Posted by 2000 View Post
    about 6 quarts will do it. I use mobil 1 filter but put pennzoil platinum oil in it but its mostly by preference. As far as weight just use whatever the owners manual recommends.

I personally find 5.5 quarts levels out just about perfect. i just made the switch from valvoline full synthetic to mobil 1 full synthetic. Use 5W-30. I recommend Valvoline, I've never had a problem with it and it stays clean throughout the 3000 mile cycle.

2000 Trans Am

Yup. 5.5 gets her done for me too. Seems like oil is mostly preference as long as your running a decent synthetic. Especially at 3000 mile changes. There can (and on other forums has been) 40 page pissing matches over which oil is the best so stick to what your comfortable with in this area.

blue
    1999 trans am

Honestly in my 3rd gen I ran royal purple and I swear I felt more power ....thats the only synthetic I've ever used but I've heard mobile 1 is good and that's what the previous owner said it had in it so I'm gonna try it ....I just was more curious about the weight and filter brand....I've heard fram sucks....I'm just gonna get the best I can from like oriellys

2002 trans am ws6

in the 10 months that i have had my car i have used the fallowing filters mobil 1, k&n, and purelator(not sure if it's writen like that) as for oil i go with whatever syn oil is on special.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by unibuga View Post
    Honestly in my 3rd gen I ran royal purple and I swear I felt more power ....thats the only synthetic I've ever used but I've heard mobile 1 is good and that's what the previous owner said it had in it so I'm gonna try it ....I just was more curious about the weight and filter brand....I've heard fram sucks....I'm just gonna get the best I can from like oriellys
    Mobil 1 has changed their original formula that was better then what they are selling now but it is still a very good oil. On the matter of royal purple, you wont feel any power gains from it.
    Last edited by 2000; 09-15-2010 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Already answered that question.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

RP is garbage oil and not recommended for lsx cars by most folks here.. They once used mineral oil in their motor oils, got sued for fake labeling too.. I would'nt run that crap in my lawn mower.. Purolater oil filters are good, k&n oil filters are good, use k&n air filters for the bottom of your trash can, they work great for sucking up any bag leaks!..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wix or Napa Gold filters (one in the same) for our car. There are several sites that have videos of filters being cut open to show the internals -- that is what sold me. Stay away from Fram -- not much filter media and cardboard end caps. I had Mobil 1 oil in our car to start until I read up on motor oil. Switched to Penzoil Platinum after that and have run it ever since. As stated, 5.5 quarts is just about perfect for our cars. Since you stated that it may be leaking at the filter, make sure the gasket from your old filter is not stuck on the sealing surface. Sometimes the seal will separate from the canister and stay stuck to the engine. When this happens they will leak.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

I use K&N oil filters. it's def worth the extra money. But I have heard good things about Napa's filter if you dont want to spend that extra money

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Wix or Napa Gold filters (one in the same) for our car. There are several sites that have videos of filters being cut open to show the internals -- that is what sold me. Stay away from Fram -- not much filter media and cardboard end caps. I had Mobil 1 oil in our car to start until I read up on motor oil. Switched to Penzoil Platinum after that and have run it ever since. As stated, 5.5 quarts is just about perfect for our cars. Since you stated that it may be leaking at the filter, make sure the gasket from your old filter is not stuck on the sealing surface. Sometimes the seal will separate from the canister and stay stuck to the engine. When this happens they will leak.
    One of our members did the can cut too.. But I can't locate the thread.. It was last year I believe..

blue
    1999 trans am

yeah looks like ill most likely stick with mobil 1 and what ever the best filter i can get from oriellys

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

omg what is going on here..........mobil 1 is not a good synthetic ...it is the beating horse for all other true synthetics..that is why on all comericals when comparing motor oils..they use mobil 1..it is a bad...i used to use mobil 1..and when i actually got over the ..oil is oil ..and it is recommended by gm b.s ...i realized how shitty it was and now have 6 quarts of it in my garage..collecting dust from 2 years ago...penzoil platinum has been proven to be one of the best oils out there period ..it is all i will use..that and the new penzoil ultra ..........buying a overpriced filter like k&n and using some bargain brand oil or mobil 1 is like buying a 3 million dollar chalice and pouring in R/C cola

OP my suggestion is this.
    buy the a/c delco filter ..much cheaper than most and just as good (only in there for 3k-4k miles anyways)

DO NOT BUY fram filters

buy 6 quarts of penzoil platinum 10w ..or if you like 5w

use all 6 quarts ..you want to "overfill" the oil on ls1s ....dont worry..the level wont be anywhere near high enough to cause whipping issues aka foaming and such.
    the way our oiling system is designed it really needs some extra oil when you pushing the envelope...aka high rpms and or high Gs.

blue
    1999 trans am

Well it does hit high tons all the time....maybe ill try this Pennzoil

blue
    1999 trans am

Ok so I just bought Pennzoil ultra and a delco filter

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by unibuga View Post
    Ok so I just bought Pennzoil ultra and a delco filter

That works.

blue
    1999 trans am

ive read a couple places heard it was good...plus they only had 2 quarts of platnum and a whole rack of ultra

White
    1998 Trans Am

I usually run 10w-30 in the summers here in TX in whatever Penzoil, Mobil 1, Quakerstate, or any other name brand synthetic is on sale except Royal Purple. Usually I use a Mibile 1 or Purolater Gold filter. Like mose GM's 5.5 fills it. Don't know what they couldn't have just used 5 or 6. Keep it easy and even.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

blue
    1999 trans am

yeah they had 5w-30 and 10w-30 .....so i got 10w-30 my dad said it would probally be a bit better with an average of about 95 around here

Thread Information