Mileage Question

Hi, I'm loooking to buy a T/A. Preferably an '01-'02, but will settle for a '98-'00 if the price is right. Anyway, I'm wondering what's considered too high mileage wise? i've noticed there are quite a few people here who bought their cars with 70k to 80k or higher miles on them. Is that fine? Too me that just seems extremely high for a "new" car, especially as a daily driver. How long would you have on average before things start needing to be replaced?

Thank you.

S.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

an 02 is 6 years old. that's about 10 thousand a year. our engines are fine for a good 200k, just make sure you take care of it (oil and such) and have extra cash in case something goes wrong like brake pads, clutch, cats, etc. because our engines were used in the corvette gm actually spent time trying to make it reliable, even for people with a heavy foot.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

are u loooking for a 6 speed or auto? one commen problem with the sticks is gear grinding.....had it on my 99z and a 00 i test drove...trannny rebuild would not be cheap for shot syncros...listen to the rear end as well to make sure its not humming along to loud.....new rear is about 2k and its commen to go with abuse

well i know that the mileage can be justified by the year of the car. an '02 with 70k is decent in those terms but i'm thinking the other way as in i'm buying a car that already has 70k on it. You dont really know if the car has been dogged or not. And couldn't things start going wrong at that mileage?

And as an example, what would be the better deal:

Say an '02 with 80k miles for $13k
    Or an '02 with 40k miles for $17k

Take into account, those are roughly dealer prices from what i've seen.

maroon
    2002 Camaro

i would jew them down on the 02 with 40k miles on it and if ur luck they might go down to 15 k

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    are u loooking for a 6 speed or auto? one commen problem with the sticks is gear grinding.....had it on my 99z and a 00 i test drove...trannny rebuild would not be cheap for shot syncros...listen to the rear end as well to make sure its not humming along to loud.....new rear is about 2k and its commen to go with abuse

i'm looking for an M6.

I got rid of my '02 WS6 about 2 years ago. Dumbest mistake ever
    just had somethings going on, getting married and such, and had to make a sacrifice. I've regretted it ever since and have decided i'm gonna basically get it back. Mine was a bright red A4 and this time i'd like to get a black M6. I just dont want to get one that does have some higher miles on it to then have it start breaking down on me.

Black
    2010 Black Camaro 2SS

just gotta find the right seller...i bought mine w/54 or 55k from a 50 year old woman that bought it because it was pretty and bought a bumper to bumper 100k warranty and had it serviced regularly

id rather buy one with 100k from someone like that then to buy one with 30k from a teenager..no offense to any teens out there..im only 22 myself..but i would even want one from someone my age unless i knew them..

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

When I bought mine it had 72k miles. The charge to the batter seemed weak. Come to find out the belts were slipping. I needed an underdrive pulley and an idler pulley, new belt and battery. Now she runs like new, but the lights are on in reference to the AIR system. Ive only have the car for about 2 months. Sounds like allot, but I have spent less that $500, the car runs great and the repairs were factored into the purchase price.

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    When I bought mine it had 72k miles. The charge to the batter seemed weak. Come to find out the belts were slipping. I needed an underdrive pulley and an idler pulley, new belt and battery. Now she runs like new, but the lights are on in reference to the AIR system. Ive only have the car for about 2 months. Sounds like allot, but I have spent less that $500, the car runs great and the repairs were factored into the purchase price.
    70K wouldn't bother me too much. I just don't want to get it and then the motor craps out on me or something retarded like that after 20k.

When i got rid of my '02 it had just over 60k miles on it and the only problems i ever had with the car is the drivers window motor went bad and my DRL/Parking light housings melted
    motor still felt strong tho. I had been the only owner. I think thats my biggest thing is not knowing how a previous owner took care of the car. Obviously routine maintanence will allow the car to last longer without problems.

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

well, you had a new ws6, you should know how it sounds. when i got mine, it idled smoother than any other car i had seen, and that includes a 02 ws6 with 40k miles. thats a good indication.

maroon
    2002 Camaro

no shit huh im 16 and i wouldnt buy any of my freinds cars

black
    1998 trans am

the ls1 is a pretty tough engine. my brother has a 99 z28 with 223k miles and he runs the dog shit out of it on the streets and at the track. the tranny did decide to die about 215k and he's replaced the alternator other than that no problems. my car is a 98 trans am with 175k and it runs just as good as any new vehicle i know of.

Thread Information