2000 Trans Am

Me diagnose a problem......

Well everyone as you may have already read in my previous post my daily driver, blew a head gasket. I have been driving around my 2000 trans am to work and back since then. Today I take the wife and I to the grocery store and the car starts to act a little funny. It starts to idle high, and then when I put it into gear it almost is like I slam the clutch....it's an automatic, and it idles higher than usual. I did change the oil yesterday, i'm sure this had nothing to do with it. And also one other thing my "service engine soon light" is now lit up when it wasn't before......I know I need to get the codes read, and will probably do this after work on monday but thought I would ask here first .....thanks for any help~Chris
    2000 Arctic White trans am, ws6 hood, ws6 air box, slp lid, slp smooth bellows, slp loudmouth exhaust,shift kit, rebuilt trans, LS6 intake, 3.73 gears, Shaner S3 p/p throttle body, and a tune . SFC. C6 ZO6 rims 18" in back 17" in front. Drilled and slotted rotors.

2000 Trans Am

Well if anyone is reading this I may have figured out the problem please give me your input if possible.....I took the maf off and gave it a good cleaning with MAF cleaner, and the SES light went away and no more high idle......could that have been the problem? Also I am long over due for a new air filter, should I go K&N or just go with a regular paper FRAM one? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.~Chris

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
    Well if anyone is reading this I may have figured out the problem please give me your input if possible.....I took the maf off and gave it a good cleaning with MAF cleaner, and the SES light went away and no more high idle......could that have been the problem? Also I am long over due for a new air filter, should I go K&N or just go with a regular paper FRAM one? Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.~Chris
    I've heard mixed reviews about the air filters.

Today I bought oil, Wix oil filter and a Wix air filter to use while I clean my K&Ns. I've heard they are better than Fram I figured throwing a paper filter in there was fine for a while.

What brand MAF cleaner do you recommend. I should probably do that while I'm at it.

2000 Trans Am

i just bought regular old maf cleaner.....i think i'll just end up going with the paper filter anyways....don't like all the gresieness of the K&N.....anyone else have an idea on wether me cleaning the MAf would have fixed the issue...?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

A dirty MAF will definately cause the problems you're describing. I'd say you took care of that issue. CRC cleaner is the stuff I used to use before my SD tune. And you're right about the K&N filters - the oil can get on the MAF and cause the same problem you had.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    A dirty MAF will definately cause the problems you're describing. I'd say you took care of that issue. CRC cleaner is the stuff I used to use before my SD tune. And you're right about the K&N filters - the oil can get on the MAF and cause the same problem you had.
    Thanks for the reply knight.....It amazes me what the MAF will cause your car to do when it's dirty.....It almost felt like my transmission was going to take a $hit......I'm going to take it for a drive later and see if anything else pops up....and i[m also gonna stop by auto zone and get a new filter!

black
    2000 trans am ws6

i had this same exact problem with my 2000 A4 a few months ago, i scanned it and i got a code for the tps. i cleaned the maf thinking that could contribute to the problem and changed the tps sensor and havent had a problem since. k&n filter ftw! $70 but its worth being able to clean it whenever you feel the need.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LetemSpin1 View Post
    i had this same exact problem with my 2000 A4 a few months ago, i scanned it and i got a code for the tps. i cleaned the maf thinking that could contribute to the problem and changed the tps sensor and havent had a problem since. k&n filter ftw! $70 but its worth being able to clean it whenever you feel the need.
    Yeh man just cleaned the MAF and all looks well! I just drove it to autozone and put in a paper filter for now....drove it back home and no SES lite anymore and everything seems to be running fine! thanks for the help anyone....~Chris

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeh man just cleaned the MAF and all looks well! I just drove it to autozone and put in a paper filter for now....drove it back home and no SES lite anymore and everything seems to be running fine! thanks for the help anyone....~Chris
    Good to hear. At least it was something simple. I love when that happens

Have you guys tried the Wix filters? I've heard good things about them. I guess I shall see.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Good to hear. At least it was something simple. I love when that happens

Have you guys tried the Wix filters? I've heard good things about them. I guess I shall see.
    I tried to find some of those at Autozone but was unable too....so i just went with an STP paper filter......let us know how you like them

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

i have a fram air filter in everything from our work truck to my car. no problems here.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I tried to find some of those at Autozone but was unable too....so i just went with an STP paper filter......let us know how you like them
    I will. My husband's truck is out of service again and he's had to drive my Probe He hates that car as much as I do. But, I keep it just for occasions like this because he's not taking my Camaro to work

Anyway, I have to clean my K&N but don't want to be without a car while it dries out. Plus, I'm contemplating going Amsoil all the way around. So, wanted to see if there were any noticeable difference between the paper filter and the K&N.

This will be my first time cleaning my filter myself instead of having it done

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

FWIW i see this thread is a little old but i use the 2$ autozone air filter!
    i have seen no difference in horsepower from K&N and cheap crappy air filters from parts store..nore has it let anything harmful into the engine.

Thread Information