Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

MAYBE a 6.0 LS1 for my TA

This is a discussion on MAYBE a 6.0 LS1 for my TA within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I don't mind a thread jacking. I like seeing what others on here have to say. For the most part ...

white
    1998 Trans Am

I don't mind a thread jacking. I like seeing what others on here have to say. For the most part members on here are very informative and knowledgeable about our cars and have great ideas. I'd have a beer or take a cruise with anyone on here.
    pajeff02 likes this.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Figured it would help both the OP and Jodi. L92s are a great upgrade.
    OP post up some pics when you get a chance

Bright blue metallic
    1999 z28

I just finished up building a lq9 and I used LS3 heads/intake on my build. L92/LS3 heads are becoming a very popular choice for the 6 liter builds.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No harm and no foul. I was just poking.

I don't mind people discussing ideas pertaining to the OP's original post at all. I was just nudging a little so it wouldn't turn into pages of conversation of what Jodi needed to do to get her car to where she would enjoy it more. Of course though, I want her to be as happy as the next person on here and enjoy her time on the road behind the wheel.

I do agree that the information in here contributed by Alex and Rage is good information to know when doing a 6.0 swap when you are considering what your ultimate goal for the car is.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Overall I'm pleased. I think I'm just going to do gear swap and leave it at that. I have 2 other projects going on to just keep adding to the TA. Also why I never made my own thread.

Good luck with your build OP.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think a lower gear will really help with a larger aftermarket cam

i have a built t/a with a LQ-408 with the works, you name i have it done to this car

if i had to do it all over again i would get a brand new LQ9 shortblock (stock), L92/LS3 topend, custom cam, L92/LS3 stock intake

bc of the LS3 topend you dont need a huge cam, in return you will make great power but still being very very streetable
    Last edited by Blackbird WS6; 05-04-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Just picked up a new LS book that was published last year -- details swapping a 480 hp LS3 crate into an F-body and shows the adapters needed to make it all work. That would be my choice.

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

ok my ls1 in my 98 T/A started knocking yesterday, time for a swap/rebuild...i was thinking about throwing in a 6.0 LQ4 but wasnt sure what all would be involved...it's my DD so i care nothing about horsepower right now, just getting it running...and im thinking putting in the 6.0 LQ4 would be alot cheaper...so what all would be involved in swapping a completely stock 6.0 LQ4 in my car...would i have to swap the computer too?...wiring harness?...or what...from what i've read and understand all i would have to do is tap and drill a hole for the alternator bracket and put on my ls1 oil pan and pick-up...and of course swap all my belt driven accessories and motor mounts maybe?...just needing some info before i decide...the main thing i need to know is about the computer and wiring harness...please dont start naming off heads unless they are neccessary cause that shit confuses the hell out of me...lol

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

All of the LS variants will fit... first thing to worry about is your crank reluctor. Unless you want to run a box, you'll need to stick with a 24x from an older style engine. All the new stuff is 58x.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Something you might also want to consider.....if your car is lowered the 6.0 is going to add alot of extra weight (80 pounds) to the front and certain things scrape. Ask me how I know. Lol

I'll be changing my lowering kit here soon.

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

well its not lowered its basically all stock...and what is a crank reluctor is that some kind of sensor and how much is a box and what does it do...all ive ever researched are basic bolt ons and aftermarket drivetrain parts

Sometime around 05-06 GM went to a 58 tooth reluctor wheel, our LS1 computers won't read that. To compensate for that there is a little plug and play box made that fools our computer into reading the 58 tooth wheel.

If you stick with the older 6.0's you won't have to worry. Problem now is finding a suitable donor that old. Most are well used.

The other small catch is I believe they moved the cam sensor (I'd have to check mine to refresh my memory). To install in the LS1 4th gen there is an adapter harness made that will reach the new cam sensor location.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Do you know what block exactly? There's no such thing as a 6 liter LS1
    They are all of the LS design, I think we all know what he means . I often refer to my 6.0 swap as a 6.0 LS engine because people just don't know what an LQ is. Saves all the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheMinivan View Post
    How so? I was responding to post #7 and #10. My point to the OP and jrbonds is just swapping a 6.0 block isnt worth the swap. Building a 6.0 with a matching top end is worth it.
    I'd have to politely disagree. There are so many hidden benefits over the LS1. I personally love the cast iron blocks,,,you can actually bore them . Rebuilding the LS1 is game over if it requires much more than a hone.
    The 6.0's actually make a much better package with cathedral heads. The larger L92 heads kill the bottom end and make the engine soft at anything below 4,000 rpm. I've seen several dyno's that didn't impress me. As a matter of fact GM high tech just did a 6.0 build with a 4" crank (aka:408 cubes) and tested both cathedral and L92 heads along with both cams ground for both heads tested on each. The cathedral heads made more average power throughout the rpm range and still matched peak HP. It's the torque curve down low (where you use it on the street) where the cathedrals literally skunked the L92's.
    So unless you want to really spin the motor and run a set of 4.56's, or build something of 450+ cubes, I'd stick with the cathedrals.

Just a little heads up jrbonds,,,,,get that thing tuned and it will come alive. That 6.0 will definately be a pleaser, even with the smallish 228 cam. Your 241 heads bumped the compression too (smaller combustion chamber) so that's a plus.

I did a 6.0 swap in another vehicle, and I wouldn't flinch at doing it again. Great little engine even in stock form.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 05-07-2012 at 01:22 PM.

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

I officially have about 1500 miles on it since I'm out in Las Cruces visiting my mom.

I am pleased with it. Its amazing. I really want some lower gears which I believe will wake it up even more. Its going to get a dyno tune soon. It now has crazy wheel hop which it didn't before. I also changed my muffler and it sounds amazing. I'm really really really happy.

That's cool. I think your dyno tune may surprise you.

There was a local guy here I've talked to and he did an LQ4 6.0 swap in his camaro. He was running an LS6 cam in it, and an LS6 intake, the rest of the motor was left alone. I watched the car run very low 12's at 112 mph. He also sprayed it with a small shot and ran well into the 11's.

BLUE
    1998 Trans Am

i found an 02 LQ4 with 98000 miles i think mightbe a good candidate...does anyone know where i can go to get that cam sensor adapter...or would just splicing and exteding the plug out be more feasable...and also mine is a 98 and i know the 98's have a different program than the 99-02's...would the program still work

Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    I officially have about 1500 miles on it since I'm out in Las Cruces visiting my mom.

I am pleased with it. Its amazing. I really want some lower gears which I believe will wake it up even more. Its going to get a dyno tune soon. It now has crazy wheel hop which it didn't before. I also changed my muffler and it sounds amazing. I'm really really really happy.

take it easy with that wheel hop, you will rip that rearend apart with that hopping

2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird WS6:2773778
    Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post

take it easy with that wheel hop, you will rip that rearend apart with that hopping
    Its only happened 3 times, I'm trying to be easy on it still. I'm scared to death to screw this new motor up. The build costs got a little crazy on.me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 05-07-2012, 08:08 PM

Thread Information